Monday 30 May 2011

Two recipes for Sweffling

The recipe for the lamb and apricot meatballs can be found here. Next time I would make more sauce, I think, and I did add some tomato puree to it. I think it is truly a scrummy recipe and definitely one to make again. It's quite partyish too.


The korma is more problematic because I make it up as I go along with whatever I have available but here's the basics of it. I used chicken breast, but I have made it with turkey fillets or I'm sure it would be nice with pork loin or that lovely lean lamb you can get. It's very unauthentic so apologies to any curry purists who might be reading, but it's delicious (I think).
If I miss anything out, I will come back and edit.

Ingredients:
A glug or two of oil (I used olive, ghee would be more authentic)
One medium/large red onion, thinly sliced into half rings
One sweet potato, peeled and chopped into medium sized chunks (dice size)
One red and one orange pepper (small peppers, so if they're big, use half of each, or just one or the other), cut into smallish bite sized pieces
Two garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or crushed
Four skinless and boneless chicken breasts, cut into thin slices across the grain (I cut them while they were still frozen which made it easy to get nice thin slices)
A jar of Patak's korma paste (yes, sorry, I cheat here) - I used about half the jar, but it's to taste really
One can low fat coconut milk
A small can of sweetcorn (sometimes I use a handful of frozen peas as well)
About seven or eight dried apricots, cut into thin slices (sometimes I use sultanas instead)
Four or five chestnut mushrooms, sliced
Some flaked almonds. I used pre toasted ones, but sometimes I use the non-toasted ones. Either is nice.
Chopped fresh coriander (optional)

Method
In a large pan, heat the oil, add the onion rings, stir well and leave to sizzle slowly until soft.
Add the sweet potato and continue cooking gently, then do the same with the peppers.
Then add the garlic, cook for about a minute and then remove the lot with a slotted spoon so that any remaining oil stays in the pan. Add more oil if necessary.
Add the chicken, a few slices at a time so it's not crowded and it fries rather than steams. Brown each side and then remove. When the last batch of chicken has browned, put back all the chicken and the fried vegetables and stir gently but well. Add more oil if necessary.
Add the korma paste and stir in well, allowing it to 'cook out' for a minute or so.
Add the coconut milk and stir it well so that the korma paste and milk are well combined. Add the apricots. Bring to a gentle boil.
Cover the pan, turn the heat down and allow the lot to simmer gently for about 20 mins, stirring occasionally. Enjoy the aroma!
Finally, add the sweetcorn (as much as you want from the can, don't have to use it all). Add the mushrooms and gently stir it all well together. No need to actually 'cook' the mushrooms, they are fine just heated and remain firm and flavoursome.

At this point, either allow to cool, sprinkle with the flaked almonds and freeze (I got six good single portions from it) or bring right back up to piping hot, sprinkle over the almonds and some fresh chopped coriander if you have some and serve with rice.

I know it all sounds a bit muddled and complicated but it isn't really, it's just the typical method for a casserole. Cook the onion and harder veg, add the meat, add the seasonings, add the liquid, cook, add any 'soft' veg near the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment