Monday 30 May 2011

Recipe: simple tomato soup

I'm enjoying this at the moment and thought I would share it as it's really nice

Ingredients for a big single portion or two portions in soup plates:
small glug of olive oil (1 tsp)
small-ish onion, finely chopped
400g can chopped tomatoes
a tsp Marigold low sodium vegetable bouillon powder
two sprigs oregano (or some dried, but I think fresh is nicer)
a pinch of sugar
a squidge tomato puree

Method.
Heat a small amount of olive oil in a saucepan, add the onion and gently fry until softened.
Pour in the chopped tomato and then swish a little extra water around the inside of the can or carton to get the remains and add that too. Add a heaped tsp vegetable bouillon powder, the sugar and the oregano.
Stir, bring to a gentle boil, cover and leave to simmer gently for about 20 mins.
When the onion is soft, remove the oregano and zizz the soup with a stick blender. I then pushed it through a fine sieve, but one wouldn't have to. It does make it lovely and smooth though.
Add the tomato puree and stir. Check seasoning and adjust. I added no salt or pepper, the Marigold was enough. I've been cutting out unnecessary salt, so it's fine for me: others may prefer to add a little salt.
Bring back to a simmer, pour in a soup bowl and add a dollop of natural yogurt, if you like. Enjoy.

Scrummy. And about 175 calories for the lot. If you didn't use the olive oil it would be about 135 calories, but I like the flavour it imparts.

No comments:

Post a Comment