Tuesday 18 April 2023

Tuesday, 18-04-23

 Morning, everyone.  Despite being very weary yesterday evening, I am up well before the lark this morning.  I think my brain has been too active overnight so when I woke for a trip to the loo, I have woken up too much.  
Thankfully, it was a gorgeously sunny day all day.  None too warm at times, especially indoors with the outside doors open and a fresh breeze blowing through but that's what warm jumpers are for.
Slightly ironically, it's not predicted to be all that sunny today but I gather sunshine isn't specifically needed, it is light that provides the necessary.  Even so - come on, sunshine!!

Yesterday was pretty much taken up with getting the solar panels fitted and connected.  They didn't arrive until past eleven and then had to stay much later because my internet went down, just when they needed it.   Rather frustrating but it couldn't be helped.  It wasn't anything to do with the actual solar bit, it was connecting the thing up for information, getting an app on my phone, etc, and it needed the internet for that, not just a 4G connection.  Beyond that, I didn't understand.
Anyway, someone is probably coming back at some time today, just to check it all and to sort out the App connection, etc.
(and the internet was dodgy most of the evening all over town, I gather)

It's now all in, set up, running and I don't have to do a thing.  I remember when dear Diane had solar panels, she had to read a meter and let the electricity people know each month but that is all automatic now, thankfully.

The roof is covered with panels - just think of all that lovely power.  They don't look as intrusive as I thought they would and, like most things, one gets used to it quickly anyway.

Can you see them - on the roof and also on the extension roof too, just at the back as that's the sunny side of the house.

It was pretty noisy at time with lots of drilling and banging so I turned on the telly and let my hearing aids bluetooth so I could hardly hear the noise.  That was an improvement.

So that's another goal for 2023 done and dusted to add to the paving at the front.


Today is much more peaceful, I hope. 
I'm going to Groove first thing - it's a new block so a new playlist and new movement sequences.  I'm looking forward to it very much.

Later on, Jeff is round.  He usually does some garden clearing, tidying, etc, but today he is using some of the time to take the old water softener to the dump for me.  It is just too heavy for me to lift so I asked him and he said he would do it.  I gather you have to book a time to go to the dump now which seems a bit restricting although I suppose it will keep the queues down a bit.

Then I have to see what I can get back in the cupboard and find a home for the rest of the stuff and I do have a few loads of washing including the bedding.  I'd like to get as much of that as I possibly can sorted.

I'm trying to think if I need to make anything else for next Sunday.  This is what I have or will have.
Sandwiches - egg mayo (Beth's request), philly and cucumber (Alex's request), cheese and tomato and ham and something, maybe caramelised onion chutney (Dave and Anna's suggesting) in a mix of white and wholemeal bread.
Delia's veggie sausage rolls (except that they are like mini pasties) which as a family favourite.
Crisps
Ice cream and strawberries
Scones, jam and cream
Lemon shortbread
Mini chocolate sponge cakes.

You know, I think that is going to be more than enough.  If I see any nice little biscuitty cakes, I might get a pack but I don't think I will stress, although I do rather fancy the idea of some mini jam tarts!
What do you think?

Enough rambling.  I think I will sort out a load of washing and get it started.  It's early but the machine is on an outer wall so shouldn't disturb my neighbours and I can take advantage of the cheap rate.
And, rather more importantly, I need another coffee.  😁

Take care, everyone, and have a lovely Tuesday.  xx

25 comments:

  1. Another job out of the way must feel very satisfying. It looks good. Until you mentioned it, I hadn't even noticed the panelling on the extension.
    Have a lovely day. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good, isn't it. Of course, I can see it clearly from my bedroom window (the one on the left) but it's fine. Now to get used to it! xx

      Delete
  2. Remember it’s better to do your washing and use electricity when the sun is shining on your panels then you are using your own electricity and you won’t be charged. We wait until after 11am to do the washing and dishwasher when the sun comes on our panels. Yours may be in the sun a lot earlier in the day. They are very unobtrusive look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. I will have to get used to a new way of doing things, won't I? No more setting the dishwasher to work overnight - not for a while anyway. xx

      Delete
  3. The panels look good, bet you are pleased with them. Last week I booked a slot at our recycling depot - went online just after 12.30 and managed to get a slot for the afternoon anytime after 2.30 so that was ok. In case anyone hasn't done this yet, I needed the car reg, my address and email to send confirmation which I had to show. Was asked to take proof of living here but the lovely man on the gate said it's not needed 🤷‍♀️ You are given 15minutes but to be honest no-one was timing and 15 minutes is quite a long time! I was expecting to have to book a few days in advance - hopefully this won't be the case! It was all very simple.

    The afternoon tea sounds lovely.

    Suze x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You live local to me, I think?? Have I got that right?
      I think Jeff might have already booked - hope so anyway.
      Yes, I am very pleased with the panels. Now to get used to them.

      Delete
    2. Yes I do Joy! Have a lovely day - the sun is shining here at the moment ....

      Delete
    3. Thought so! Do I actually know you in real life? Don't answer if you'd rather not. Not now though. I was grooving at Groove, looking out of the window and thinking 'don't you DARE rain' (I have things out on the line). They should be dry now so I'm just home and getting them in.
      xx

      Delete
    4. Hi, no sadly you don't know me in real life, although I think we do have lots in common! I feel as though I know you through your great blog though - the first thing I read each morning!! When the weather gets better perhaps we should meet for coffee.

      Delete
    5. I'd like that - with no problems if we don't get on as well in Real Life as in here. Sometimes that happens. :-)
      We'll fix something when the weather gets warmer. xx

      Delete
    6. Brilliant x

      Delete
  4. Solar panes look great and your afternoon tea sounds delicious! Ham and egg/mayo are my favourite sandwiches. It sounds weird but is delicious: mango chutney/ham/eggmayo - tuna/mayo and sliced pickled beetroot is a nice combination too. Mini jam tarts, yumm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. < grin > All so yummy, aren't they? xx

      Delete
  5. I think it's always tiring having 'strange' people in the house and such a relief when they go - or is that just me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just me too. My home is my safe space and I did find it stressful.
      xx

      Delete
  6. The solar panels look great and are very unobtrusive. You've done well to fit 14 onto your two roofs, and yes definintely think about your electricity use during the day. Even in Winter you will generate enough to be able to run lots of things in the daylight hours. We powered our Aga off ours during the day time and had it switch to the National Grid for overnight as we had a battery bank that would deplete too much. Gosh sorry, that went a bit technical for me. :-/

    Your Sunday food plans sound very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was originally going to be twelve and just on the original roof until Tim came to look at the site and decided the extension roof was also suitable. I'm very happy they managed to fit fourteen.
      I think I am on a bit of a learning curve here and have started by not setting my dishwasher to turn on overnight to catch the cheap rate. It feels very, very odd.
      xx

      Delete
  7. All sounds good and you will love having the solar panels - as well as the obvious benefits, you are doing your bit for the environment:)
    All those tea time treats - delicious
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I will. Thanks very much. xx

      Delete
  8. Glad the panels are in. I think your menu is sufficient and yummy,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Marjorie. It's been a long standing dream and,. thanks to my dear Mum and Dad, I have realised it. I am so very lucky. xx

      Delete
  9. You are certainly getting those projects for this year done in record fashion.

    Your menu sounds just perfect.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very happy at how well things are progressing. A longer wait now until the Garden room and repairing the raised beds but that's OK. Interest rates have gone up :-)
      xx

      Delete
  10. Glad they are all fitted! They don't look intrusive at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon - I thought they would stand out more than they do. xx

      Delete