Sunday 23 April 2023

Sunday, 23-04-23

Good morning, everyone.  We have quite obviously had some rain overnight and everything is soaking, but it's not raining right now.  The forecast for this morning is not great but the BBC thinks the sun will come out between showers this afternoon - I hope so, that would be really nice.

Yesterday was lovely (although chilly) with plenty of sunshine.  It clouded over later on but by then I was back inside.

The day started with the SET class at Lindsey's Studio while a load of washing did its thing at home.  When I came home, I had breakfast, hung the washing out, put a new load in and set out for another garden centre visit.  I didn't really have enough for a full load but, as I'm away next weekend, I will have enough washing to clear the baskets next Thursday and have a full choice for packing.  

At the garden centre, I treated myself to another garden tool in my set.  I really like the Wolf Garten equipment, the kind with the changeable handles, and the one I got was the weed extractor.




This is it, photo borrowed from their site.  You can see at the top there should be a handle - I have a nice range of handles so didn't need one.

I think they are lovely tools, easy to use and there's such a wide range.

I am considering this a birthday pressie to myself, from me!






When I got home, I set to and worked on the front 'garden' - I call it a garden for want of a better word but, really, it is just a strip of soil along the house, before the car standing space.  It does look a lot nicer now and incomparably better than the whole space looked before the paving was done, although it will be improved when the bulbs have died back properly.


There's not a load of colour yet because established things are still coming up and I put in a couple more perennials, a Veronica and something called Felicia, a sort of daisy-like flower, as well as some bedding which should (fingers crossed) last most of the summer rather than look colourful straight away.  I also planted up the two pots which stand by the front door.
There's some trailing lobelia and violas left and I will pop them in the raised flower bed.

I got all the clothes dried and the ironing done so, all in all, a good day's work!  Oh, I nearly forgot - I also baked a loaf of bread as I was getting short.  I've got the afternoon tea bread but I'm not sure how much of that will be left over.  

Today, there's plenty to do but it is intermittent and none of it is hard work.  I've already sliced the ham, boiled the eggs for egg mayo filling, sliced the loaf and put it in the freezer and got out the two loaves for sandwiches.  I won't be getting the cakes out until later.
In case you're wondering, the two loaves are medium sliced and I slice my everyday bread more thinly.  I'm rather expecting Beth and Alex will take what's left home with them - Alex has already indicated a doggy bag or two would not go amiss, bless him.

I'm expecting Victoria round later on - she's the lady who has her floristry business (she runs the Christmas wreath evenings I always go to) - with a bouquet of flowers.
This may sound silly.  I got the idea from Val who does something similar.  These flowers are bought using a bit of my money from Mum and Dad and I am considering the flowers a birthday gift from them.  Yes, silly, maybe but comforting.

Well, it has brightened up a bit now although the sun is far from emerging, the solar panels are earning their keep and all is well in my little world right now.  Time to have a second coffee, I think.
Have a lovely Sunday, everyone, whether the sun shines or not.  xx


16 comments:

  1. It sounds as though you are well and truly prepared for your wonderful afternoon tea celebration. Two planted up pots by your front door will add such a welcome too - I shall be doing mine in the next week or so. I love the idea of a bouquet from your mum and dad, I generally buy myself a plant for my garden when it should have been my mum's birthday. Have a wonderful day and take lots of photos!
    Suze x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Suze. The sun has now come out and it'#s all very cheerful. :-)
      That's a beautiful idea too, getting something that lasts long term. xx

      Delete
  2. Your flowers look so pretty already, and will make for an impressive display as we move towards summer. Your idea of considering them a gift from your parents is lovely. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they will looks very nice too - It'll make the front of the house look very welcoming. xx

      Delete
  3. You'll love the Felicia, it goes on and on, provided you keep deadheading.
    Have a wonderful afternoon tea! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went straight out and took off a few dead flowers. lol Thanks for the tip. xx

      Delete
  4. That little splash of colour is so pretty and welcoming. We had torrential rain most of yesterday but it wasn't particularly cold. It's lovely today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been pouring here although, looking out of the window, it does seem to be brightening up somewhat. xx

      Delete
  5. Your header is beautiful - such gorgeous roses.
    The sun is coming out here after a rainy morning x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That are stunning, aren't they. The whole bouquet is beautiful. It keeps brightening here and then clouding over again. Maybe the sun is heading in this direction again soon. I hope so, anyway. xx

      Delete
  6. Lovely idea on the flowers. Hope the party goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did, thanks, Marjorie. The flowers make me very happy at the moment. xx

      Delete
  7. Hope you had a lovely day with lots of great memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kind, Chris, yes, I did. It was delightful. xx

      Delete
  8. Those flowers are gorgeous and I'm sure your mum and dad would approve x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too. I feel a new tradition coming on! :-) xx

      Delete