Monday 24 April 2023

Monday, 24-04-23

 Morning, everyone.  It's a gorgeous, gloriously sunny start to my birthday and it doesn't feel all that cold either.  Sadly, it's not predicted to hang around as the clouds are expected to roll in but not to worry, I will enjoy it while it lasts!

Here are the flowers.  Didn't Victoria do a lovely job with them; they were just what I had hoped they would be.

(apologies for poor light - it really was a very gloomy day)


Everyone turned up after the alert thingy (two minutes early!) and I had a really lovely time (and I hope everyone else did too).

I managed to take one photo before we all dived in but was too busy enjoying myself to remember to take any more, sorry!  I hardly ever use my 'pretty' china and have decided that I must get it out a bit more often . . . see below for more.

I thought I had made way too many sandwiches but I really hadn't.  There were five left which Alex took home but all the crisps and all the vegetarian sausage mini pasties went in a flash (everyone in the family loves these Delia nibbles) and we decided we much prefer them done as mini-pasties rather than sausage roll-style.  Same recipe, different presentation.  

There were some leftovers, of course, but between the five of them, pretty much everything got taken home.  I have half of the ice cream still (Sooze, it was mega enjoyed and I am definitely making it again, thanks for the recommendation) and I've just taken it back out of the freezer to soften a bit before dividing it into sensible sized single portions for weeks to come.

The pretty china:
Quite a long time ago, I was strolling around in town in either Debenhams or Bolingbroke and Wenley (the two department stores we hade - both sadly now closed) feeling rather low (probably peri-menopausal, looking back) and heard this lovely china calling to me.  On impulse, I got a set for one - cup, saucer, tea plate, teapot, milk bowl - I think that was it.  This was in the early days of eBay, when it was genuinely a really good place to find bargains rather than a re-sellers-for-profit paradise.  I looked up this china (it is Royal Albert bone china, Belinda) and got quite a bit more of it, really great value at the time but it means I have bits and bobs rather than a full set - loads of cups, saucers and plates but ones and twos of other stuff. 
Nowadays it is jolly expensive (I have just looked on Amazon and a cup and saucer is £25, which is shocking), even on the second hand china sites so I will never have a complete set, just the bits and bobs I already have, but that's OK as it is usually just me.
Anyway - I have decided I will use it more and enjoy it.

On to today and, after the prosecco/champagne, I slept very well and had what was, for me, a lie in.  I've opened the remaining cards and a gift from Chris, smiled at the flowers (I can't get over how very lovely they are - Mum and Dad would have been so pleased).

I have circuits later on but that's all there is in the diary so I am just going to do what I fancy doing and have a nice, me-day.  I want to put my new garden tool into use digging out the white bell bulbs as they are showing bids - they are so invasive and I wish I'd never planted them, to be honest.  I suppose I could replant a few in a pot - yes, I might do that.

Right, well, I am off now to get myself sorted and start the day.  Have a lovely Monday, everyone, and stay safe and well.  xx

32 comments:

  1. Your afternoon tea looks wonderful, very scrumptuous and inviting, the flowers are really beautiful and perfect colours.. Doesn't tea taste so much nicer in lovely china cups?
    Happy Birthday and don't forget to save a generous slice of the icecream for your birthday treat before freezing the portions! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are right, the tea tasted lovely. I'm not a great tea drinker but this was good.
      You know what - right at the moment, I am happy to just pop the leftovers in the freezer. I have eleven portions of ice cream and eleven little pots of clotted cream (I really didn't need the second pot, did I?) - isn't that a happy coincidence?
      I have a lovely day's eating planned that doesn't involve ice cream and I am very, very happy with that.
      Thank you so much. xx

      Delete
  2. A very happy birthday, Joy, and many more of them. The flowers are beautiful and I'm so glad you enjoyed your lovely family day. As for the beautiful afternoon tea - it didn't DESCEND into anything, rather it ASCENDED into a wonderful birthday feast enjoyed by everyone. It was a special day, with special people and especially special food and drink, so just think of it as a really lovely time. That's an order! I've still got some of Jamie's icecream in my freezer, it's so rich a small portion is plenty, so will last us a while yet. Enjoy all the favourite foods you've chosen for yourself today - and, as Annabeth says, have another celebratory portion of that icecream! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, ma'am, thanks.
      It was a lovely day with the people I love best in the world and the flowers helped to involve Mum and Dad too. I was so happy!

      I will be making more of that ice cream in due course - dividing the basic mixture into two and having different flavours. I rather fancy trying an Eton mess type one - would the crushed meringue go mushy though, I wonder?
      Thanks, Sooze, for that lovely comment. xx

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday Joy, have a really wonderful day. Your flowers are beautiful the colours are so delicate and will be a delight to enhance your 'special me-day'.
    Suze x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are. Look up Victoria Free Floristry on Facebook or here's her site. https://victoriafree.co.uk/ She is local and her creations are just so beautiful. I would never go anywhere else for local flowers now.
      I've known her for years - I had her son in my class.
      Thank you, Suze. xx

      Delete
    2. Thank you. Super flowers on the website. I have made a note in my diary!

      Delete
    3. She's very good, isn't she? She and her friend, Hazel, do wreath making classes before Christmas that are great fun and an integral part of my Christmas prep now. :-)

      Delete
    4. (I had Hazel's son in my class too lol ) xx

      Delete
  4. Very Happy Birthday, your special tea looks beautiful - gorgeous flowers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Sue. They are lovely, aren't they? xx

      Delete
  5. Very pretty china - it's so nice to have something 'special'.
    Happy birthday, fellow Arien - enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taurean, in fact. April 20th to May 20th - not that I knew that, I've just looked it up. :-)
      It is very pretty, isn't it?
      xx

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday - the tea looks wonderful, so beautifully presented
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alison. I think we all enjoyed it. xx

      Delete
  7. So pleased you had a lovely birthday. XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very kind, thanks, Maureen. xx

      Delete
  8. What a delicious looking spread! I'm not surprised nearly everything got eaten. And the flowers.....!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The flowers look incredible and I love the bone china. Glad to hear everyone enjoyed the sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a pretty set, isn't it? Very afternoon tea-ish! xx

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthday Joy! What a lovely table setting and the china and flowers are just beautiful. Those sandwiches look very profession and I'm sure were quite tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant professional. Sorry for the typo!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Debbie. It's a shame I forgot to photo the rest but we get the general idea. :-) xx

      Delete
  11. Your flowers are absolutely beautiful. A belated Happy Birthday, Joy! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Jules. They are lovely, aren't they? xx

      Delete
  12. It has been a couple of busy days here so sorry I didn't drop by yesterday to wish you a Happy Birthday - everything looked wonderful - my MIL had the lovely china Belinda - not sure what happened to it though I think my SIL took it but if I find it in my loft I will let you know as it would be nice for someone to use it. I have two china sets of my own so the ones I have inherited are surplus really and unfortunately packed away. Love the flowers. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I answered this. Thanks very much, Viv and that is a very kind offer, if the opportunity arises.
      They are beautiful flowers, aren't they? xx

      Delete
  13. Happy Birthday! Everything looks so wonderful and the flowers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon. I had a lovely time. xx

      Delete
  14. Belated happy birthday Joy. It all looks amazing. Pretty china makes every meal special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it really does. It makes a big difference.
      Thanks, Cherie. xx

      Delete