Monday 17 April 2023

Monday, 17-04-23: Solar Panel Day (I hope)

 Good morning, everyone.  After a rather lovely Spring day for most of yesterday, the forecast for today has changed again and it's supposed to be warmish and sunny.  Three cheers!!

It was a busy day yesterday, on and off, once I got going.
I did some shopping at Morrisons, pretty much all stuff for next Sunday/baking, etc.  I made the Jamie ice cream, choosing Aero honeycomb to scrunch in rather than mint.  It's lovely but very rich.  It's frozen in a lined loaf tin and I think after we've had whatever we want next Sunday, I will cut the rest into small, Joy-sized slices before popping it all back into the freezer.

I made some lemon shortbread but think I have made a mistake in cutting it into shapes rather than doing it in a tin.  Anyway, the cut sough is in the freezer and I'll bake them next Saturday.  If the spread and look horrible, there's time to make another lot.

Then I made some mini round chocolate cakes - like a Victoria sponge only small portion sized.  They are baked and in the freezer too, for icing next weekend.

I'm waiting to hear from Dave and Anna about what sandwich fillings they would like but Beth likes egg mayo and Alex has asked for Philly and cucumber.  The two loaves I made on Saturday are now all nicely and evenly sliced (I have a useful gadget for producing even slices - this is it - follow the link and take a look.  It is so simple but it is brilliant) and they are now guess where too!

I had a bit of a 'worry' at Morrisons - well, after Morrisons, in fact.  When I got home I realised I must have left my handbag hanging on the trolley handle so I dashed back and, thankfully, it had been handed in by the chap who goes round collecting all the trolleys.  It was inside the shop, all safe and sound.  As I left with it, the security chap came up and said he was glad I'd got it back and he was going to 'drop it off on his way home' if I hadn't come back.  Wasn't that nice of him?


The Beth pear (that's its name) is looking lovely with masses of blossom.  Maybe it will give me a few fruits - that would be very nice indeed.



Finally, I emptied the relevant cupboard for today; I was so thankful it was all neat and tidy and organised and it took me less than five minutes.  I even remembered to empty the fuse box shelf too as they will need access.




Today, I have no idea when the solar panel fitters will arrive but I am assuming not before eight so, by then, I will be bathed, dressed and ready.  And that's pretty much all that's happening today.  I've cancelled circuits but if  anything goes wrong here and I have the day free (please not), I can go anyway.

I'll let you know how it all goes.  Have a great Monday, everyone.  xx

22 comments:

  1. So pleased you got your bag back safely - what a huge worry you could have done without! I like the idea of the bread cutter, unfortunately it wouldn't get used here although my husband bakes bread twice a week in the traditional way. (He was a chef by trade.)

    An exciting day for you having your solar panels fitted, looks like it will be a dry sunny day too. Fingers crossed It all goes well for you.

    Suze x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a relief when I dashed into the store and saw the girls on reception holding it. It can't have been long handed in. I was lucky!

      It's so nice to have home made bread all the time, isn't it? xx

      Delete
  2. Phew, I bet that was a relief. My heart was in my mouth when I read that. In fairness I think most people would hand it in but there's always the one nasty piece of work. Glad you got it back OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so happy I didn't stop smiling for ages. xx

      Delete
  3. Oh goodness the handbag thing could have been nightmare!
    Hope the Solar men arrive and get on with the job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I was driving back to the shop, I kept thinking about what I had in it, who I would need to notify . . . all that stuff.
      They're due to arrive in a few minutes. So much for being ready by eight! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  4. I hope the work goes according to plan and doesn't create too much mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, me too, definitely. Thanks, Jabblog. xx

      Delete
  5. Isn't it always an awful moment when you discover something like that but lovely to hear it had been safely taken care of by the staff. Your afternoon tea will be a big hit with all the care you are taking - I would expect no less from the famous (and expensive) Betty's Coffee shops up here.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I can 'do a Betty' next week, I will be more than satisfied! :-)

      It really was an awful moment - my heart sank! Not for long though. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  6. Oh gosh I beat that was a heart stopping moment, thank goodness it was handed in all safe and sound. I have never seen a bread slicing aid like that one, is it easy to use? I have only ever used the vertical slicing ones before, or sometimes I used to use our meat slicing machine when we had it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very easy once you get used to it. You do need a long bread knife and nothing too chunky. I always use it, slice the whole loaf, bag it and pop it in the freezer.
      A meat slicer is a good idea.
      xx

      Delete
  7. Catching up on the last week with you Joy. Your blanket looks wonderful on your bed, so cosy. We still have the crochet temperature blanket on our bed and hubby loves it.
    Homemade jam and bread sounds wonderful. Love the little pots. Lots of lovely baking going on at your place. Who doesn't love an afternoon tea. I know I do.
    Glad you got your bag back, a real heart stopping moment but shows there are still some kind and good people around. Have a great week and hope the solar panels are soon up and running x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The men are busy and making a tremendous racket as I type this. A bit wearing but has to be done and it'll hopefully be all over by the end of the day.
      Thanks very much for all the nice comments. xx

      Delete
  8. I wondered about solar panels but decided it wasn't worth the expense perhaps I should check the costs? Lovely blossom, our peach has hardly any this year, I wondered if it was the very cold winter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it might be worth going into it again. Panels are better and more efficient, cost has gone down. And environmentally, if one can afford them, it was a no brainer, to me.
      Could have been the very cold winter although I've had pear and plum blossom, just no apple blossom. Oh, well. xx

      Delete
  9. So pleased you got your bag back ok, horrible experience.
    Love the blossom pic x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a worrying few minutes. Fortunately, I realised as soon as I got home and I only live a short way away.
      The blossom is very pretty, isn't it?
      xx

      Delete
  10. Such wonderful news about your handbag. Envious of those going to your birthday party, what a lovely spread you are making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marjorie. It was a relief. As Cherie said, there's always one or two but most people are very honest. xx

      Delete
  11. Glad you got your bag back. Look at all those lovely pear blossoms.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jackie. Gorgeous, isn't it. I hope it will result is a few lovely pears as well. :-)
      xx

      Delete