Thursday 4 May 2023

Thursday, 04-05-23

Good morning, everyone.  The sun is shining and the forecast is good.  Fingers crossed that it's warmer than yesterday; what with having to have the doors open, the sun going in and a wind getting up, I was flippin' cold most of the day and the heating kept clicking on until I turned the thermostat down.

There were a few hiccups but Ray has now finished the work and, apart from one thing, it's all looking good and working well.  I no longer have yucky or wonkly light fittings or hanging bulbs, the back garden slabs are clean and so much lighter, you wouldn't believe the difference, the stone circle is now concreted in properly and my bathroom has a working bolt again.  That last is a relief; my guests have been very good about the 'if it's closed, it's in use' thing but, even so . . .

After looking at the finances, I will probably have Ray back at some point to do some interior painting, making good, etc.  It's about time and there's no way I can do an even half decent job of it.

The hiccups were down to me getting the wrong things!  I'm no electrician!!

I did a horrendously expensive (for what I got) first-of-the-month food shop but now I'm well set up for a good fortnight, maybe longer, apart from things like fresh milk.  I almost always go to M&S for my fruit and veg and across to the other side to Aldi for nearly everything else.  M&S is costly but their fruit and veg last so much better than anywhere else's so I reckon it all balances out over time.  And I hate throwing out bits of stuff that's gone over too quickly.

(Talking of going off, have you seen the latest about keeping strawberries in a glass storage jar - still in the fridge - they say they don't go off.  I wonder if I have a glass jar; I could use a kilner jar, couldn't I?)

As soon as I realised that the work was taking longer than expected, I contacted Lindsey to cancel P T and, as always, she was understanding.  My ankle is still playing silly sausages so I'm not going to do the two remaining SETs this week - this morning and Saturday morning.  Circuits on monday is cancelled because of bank holiday so I can rest up more until; Tuesday and, hopefully, that will sort things out.  Now, where did I put my ankle support bandage?

Finally, governors' meeting was fine and dandy.  Actions were agreed and biscuits were enjoyed.

Today is a Day of Disappointments.  <chuckle>
I'm not doing SET as mentioned above and, later on, I was going round to Val's but, bless her, she had totally forgotten and had made other arrangements.  So I'm going next week instead.
Chris will be over for our coffee and chat though - I'm really looking forward to hearing about her cruise along the Rhine last week.
The I must do my civic duty and vote and I need to go over to B&Q to return a light fitting that was 'the wrong kind' (doh) and get some more bulbs (candle, 60w, 240v, thin Edison screw) - I have it all written down so fingers crossed!  I also need to look for 'the right kind' of light fittings for my bedroom.  
And then, to calm my nerves, I will look for lupin plants.
I'd like to do a bit of gardening too - some dead-heading, weeding, white bell removal and, fingers crossed, getting a lupin or two into the middle bed.  Nice.
Finally, get the house cleaner-ready, which shouldn't take all that long at all.

Now, I need to do my Facebook duties, hunt out my old support bandage, have my second coffee, have a bath, get dressed and start the day.  And the sun is still shining.  Good old sun!



10 comments:

  1. You did all that with only one cup of coffee inside of you ... I am in awe. I can't even type in a straight line without at least two cups. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m exhausted reading about all you did before breakfast! Sounds like you have had lots of jobs done and it’s really satisfying when that happens. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm at my best first thing and often get a lot of my meal prep done right at the start of the day - the stuff that it is safe to prep anyway. After about midday, it all slides downhill somewhat! :-) xx

      Delete
  3. It should be lovely to get out in the garden today. I love lupins but have never had any success with them here. Sounds like Ray is a godsend - I need someone like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My success with lipins is varied. Fingers crossed for the new ones.
      It's the franchise name I love - Hire a Hubby. It aims for the 'I'm useless at that' market and was recommended to me in the first place as ideal for the woman on her own. He's very pleasant and does a good job. What more could I want?
      xx

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, there is no way I could do that without 2 cups of coffee.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. < chuckle > It's worse today - I hold off until after I've been weighed at SW!! The first mouthful as I start weighing duties is absolute bliss!!
      xx

      Delete
  5. A job well done, however. I could do with a Ray myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) It's always good to have reliable 'Trades' to be able to call upon, isn't it? xx

      Delete