Saturday 6 May 2023

Saturday, 06-05-23: Coronation Day

 Morning, everyone.  I was so tired yesterday evening, I went to bd rather early which meant, of course, I was up very early today.  Not to worry, I have a pleasant and very 'gentle' day planned.

Yesterday, the weather was up and down like a yoyo.  First sunshine, then rain, then back to sunshine, with a few claps of thunder thrown in for good measure.
I got home from SW and decided breakfast came before hanging out the washing and I am so glad because a few minutes later it was absolutely chucking it down!  Washing line hokey cokey is not my idea of fun.
Out came the drying rack and the clothes are still there this morning, waiting to be ironed.

Apart from that bit of 'excitement', it was just an ordinary day - if any day can truly be called ordinary.   It was lovely and warm when the sun was shining but I didn't get much garden work done as it kept raining (that's my excuse).

Today isn't an ordinary day, of course.  It's a most extraordinary day.  I'm neither pro nor anti monarchy but today is an historical occasion, it will be very interesting (whether I agree or not) and I want to be a small part of it as a viewer/observer.  I do enjoy a bit of colour and spectacle, pomp and ceremony.   And Zadok the Priest is my favourite of the Coronation Anthems.
Also, any excuse for a bit of a feast!

There are the usual things to do.  There's that ironing, of course, and the 'feast' won't prepare itself, nor will the bed get made and the dishwasher loaded without a small amount of effort.  The telly will be on, however, and I have knitting to do to make me feel I am not being totally idle.

Will you be watching or taking the opportunity to do something else in hopes that the crowds will all be inside? 
Whatever you do, I hope it's a good'un!  xx


16 comments:

  1. Your Coronation menu sounds good. Our eldest granddaughter and little dog are picking up my daughter and coming to watch the Coronation with me, maybe her sister will come too, unless she gets a better offer :). Lots of 'naughty' food and salad veg and fruit are going to be enjoyed. I must be good as I'm waiting for a knee op, so extra weight and foods that cause inflammation are no no's. Hope you enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather. I like the sound of your arrangements too. I hope your op comes through soon. xx

      Delete
  2. I will not be idle either whilst watching the coronation today as I too have knitting on the go! I am just hoping that the low cloud lifts as it would be great to get a glimpse of the fly past as Colchester - Chelmsford is along the planned route. Fingers crossed.
    Suze x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am very much hoping it will go ahead too - it should be very impressive and to have it directly overhead will be amazing. xx

      Delete
    2. I heard the sound of aircraft briefly which must have been the fly past as it was during the no-flight zone time and at the right time but sadly clouds were too low. What about you? Were you luckier than me?
      Suze x

      Delete
    3. I'm afraid not. Like you, I heard noise but couldn't see anything. A shame but can't be helped. xx

      Delete
  3. I fully intend to 'rest' at home this morning, so The Coronation will be on in the background, while I pootle about. I hope you enjoy your feast. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoyed both the pootling and the Coronation. :-) xx

      Delete
  4. I have been food shopping, done the ironing, mounted and framed three pictures with husband’s help. I have now sat down with coffee and a scone and have so far managed to avoid seeing anything about today’s event. Sewing next as it’s too showery to be in the garden. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very damp here too. You're much more productive than I am today. xx

      Delete
  5. Thought the Gospel choir was very moving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were good, weren't they. Perhaps not as spontaneous as one expects from a gospel choir but that would not have been appropriate and, judging by the big smile on Kate's face, she obviously appreciated them too.
      In fact, I thought all the music was lovely, both the classics and the new compositions. It was worth watching just for that. xx

      Delete
  6. I watched a little of the coronation. It was beautiful, but unfortunate that it rained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - that was a bit of a dampener. I gather it rained the last two Coronations too so maybe not such a surprise! xx

      Delete
  7. We watched as much as we could looking after a lively 4 year old!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not all that much then. :-) xx

      Delete