Friday 19 May 2023

Friday, 19-05-23

Good morning, one and all.  After another lovely, sunny day yesterday, today we might get just a bit of light drizzle although I can hardly complain as it will be good for the plants.  It's rather dull now but I'm already sending power off to the national grid so really can't complain.

Yesterday was a sorting things out day.
I started by creating an online account for my gas, something I REALLY should have done years ago - but didn't.  As soon as I had done that I took a meter reading and sent that off, gain something I have been neglectful about, I really have.  It's taken an international cost of living crisis to get me off my lazy backside and get it done!
Oh, well, all done now and I've added metre reading to my List Of Thing To Do on the first of each month (along with sharpening my knives and sundry other little bits and bobs)

My shower has just stopped working which is a right nuisance.  One day it was fine, the next day - nothing.  So I got in touch with the relevant company and yesterday afternoon was punctuated by a flurry of emails asking and answering questions.  Hopefully, someone can come in the next week - we will see.

It was SET class online and it was good.  It's always good.  
After a quick freshen up, Chris came over for our coffee and chat.  As always, we put the world to rights - as you do!

Then I set off for Val's.  She had suggested we go to CRessing Temple but, when I looked up the menu, the whole site was closed for a private event (a wedding, I guess - private events usually are) so we went the other way to Blake House Craft Centre.
https://www.blakehousecraftcentre.co.uk/
It's been a fair old while since I was last there and there's been some changed.  There's now a 'refill' shop where the And Sew On sale shop used to be.  If I hadn't had a full set of supplies, I'd have invested.  THey had all sorts of dried goods including some fancy pasta and things like red rice, not to mention dried fruits and non edibles like cleaning products, etc.  They even had scoopable frozen fruit and veg.
Val brought a bottle to refill with washing up liquid while I had a good old nosey round, making mental note.
We're rather spoilt for choice in refill shops nowadays.  Lathcoats has had a small selection for ages and now there's one in town plus this one at Blake House.
No excuses!!
Sconch, the yarn shop, has moved again and has now taken over the little coffee/lunch shop which is now mixed purpose.  Val and I enjoyed a delicious lunch - I had a gorgeous, well filled and squishy bacon, cheese and cranberry toastie which was so big I brought a bit of it home to enjoy at dinner time.

Finally, it was back to Val's for a coffee before driving home.

A lovely day.

Today, as always on Friday, starts with Slimming World.  After that and depending on the weather, I might take a bus ride into town - I will see what the weather is doing at point of departure.
In other words, I really have no idea what I'm doing for most of today but that's OK, I will find something to get my claws into, I am very sure.  :-)

Have a good day.  I'm sure most of you have more definite plans than I.  Whatever they are - I hope it'll be a good'un!   Take care.  xx

22 comments:

  1. You have lots of interesting places to visit down your way!
    My plans are doing not a lot after my few days away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After a few days away, I reckon doing not-a-lot is just perfect. I hope it all went well. xx

      Delete
  2. We have our first appointments with our new dentist this morning and then the expense will start. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with that and I hope it isn't too ouch in more than the one meaning. xx

      Delete
  3. We are moving indoor plants outside for their summer holiday. It means I could clean the conservatory windows and sills - but probably won't x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Noticed Catrionas comment about the dentist, my mum in law is in the middle of dental treatment that is costing five and a half grand and apparently that's 'discounted !' Shocking.
    The trip out with your friend sounds lovely. We have the dull weather too but it's not drizzling thank goodness.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's shocking, Alison. And then people wonder why the nation's dental health is deteriorating so rapidly!

      It was a lovely time with Val, thanks. We try to meet up once a month - June's is the coach trip!
      xx

      Delete
  5. Seems that you were in my neck of the woods so to speak. I frequently zap to Blake House Craft centre when I need wool or fabric - I love it. Cressing Temple Barns are also a favourite of mine to wander round! Have you been to Petersfield (Antique) village? A good place to wander around - I can fully recommend their Fox in the Stables tea room for lunch or just tea and cake.
    Suze x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val lives in Black Notley so it's very much her backyard. It takes a bit longer for me but not so long that it is a drawback.
      No, I've never been to Petersfield but have made a note to look it up. Thank you. xx

      Delete
    2. Black Notley - I'm Braintree!

      Delete
    3. Oh - very close. I used to take my Y1 classes to Braintree Museum Victorian experience days. It was great. xx

      Delete
    4. Ha ha me too. Great days, great memories! We have much in common Joy!
      xx

      Delete
    5. Snap! They were very good visits, weren't they. Brilliantly hands on and packs with interest. I always looked forward to them. They don't do them now, do they? xx

      Delete
    6. I was looking at the newsletter yesterday from my last school and noticed that they have a visit in June! I'd take individual photos of the chn dressed up in the classroom and turn them into end of term photo gifts! xx
      What is the best way to be in touch to arrange meeting up at some point? xx

      Delete
    7. Are you on Facebook? xx

      Delete
    8. No I'm not! I can't immediately delete my email when you've received it as posting as anonymous! 🤷‍♀️

      Delete
    9. Just a thought but how friendly are you with Victoria your flower lady? Could I send her an email to be forwarded to you or even a letter maybe? I took note of the shop details. xx

      Delete
    10. I'll ask her - I'll get back to you, Suze, in due time. xx

      Delete
    11. That would be lovely, no problem. Thank you, enjoy your day x

      Delete
  6. So many places to visit where you are. I am pretty limited but am determined to go around our area and find new and interesting places to visit.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not bad as long as one has transport. I suppose somewhere like Blake House might seem a bit niche but it isn't, not really, and there's other things to do too, not just shops. xx

      Delete