Tuesday 30 May 2023

Tuesday, 30-05-23

Morning, everyone!  For once, it is a dull and chilly start to the day and, again, it is not expected to be that warm, only up to about 17C with 'sunny intervals' but it is what it is and I'm sure whatever comes will be pleasant enough.

I went out the front and took a photo of the front strip.  On editing/cropping them, etc, I noticed how very tatty it was looking so went back out and did a bit of tidying so, when you look at the below, please note it's a lot neater now, OK?
I don't know the names of everything so maybe some of you clever plant lovers can help.

So, starting at the left - the scruffy end.  The soil is particularly shocking here and there's underlying concrete.  Actually, the soil is shocking all along and I really must do something about it.  I've worked on the back garden soil over time and it's loads better but the front . . . awful.  Solid Essex clay (and concrete)!
Anyway - some poppies which survive anywhere and the bulbs and the lilies of the valley (lily of the valleys?) which have have been absolutely beautiful.  Also, that little bit of pink is a baby dahlia, planted this year, which may or may not survive.  We will see.

I think I must lay a few bricks and put a planter on the bare patch - even weeds are not terribly happy there although it doesn't stop them trying..

Moving right . . . 

At the back, crocosmia lucifer - a taller than average crocosmia with a bright red flower.  They should be sending out flower stems soon and seem happy enough there although they're not spreading all that fast - fine by me!
Then there's more Spring bulbs and lily of the valley plus one little pansy!
The concrete is all but gone but the soil bakes solid in drier conditions.

Shuffling right again . . .
I really should know what the bush at the back it but can't recall it.  Is it a euonymus?  Help, please.

Anyway, it is doing what I wanted when I planted it - giving a bit of height and interest and I love the variegated leaves.  Now it is really established, I need to allow it to grow up but not out - if that's possible.  It should be.
At the front, wee beddings and then a couple of plants too close to each other.  One is a kind of campanula (I think) and the other is the geranium which is flowering its little socks off now and really earning its space.
Moving on . . .

More of the geranium, more lilies and that little daisy thing - felicia - which, I realise, is in totally the wrong place.  Do I move it now or let it have its time in the sun first?  I think the latter.  There is space for it in front of the bush in the previous photo.
At the back, some gladioli which were lovely the year before last but didn't flower much at all last year - maybe the soil is too poor.  I'll see how they go this year.
In front of them is the veronica which has been lovely.  I've cut back the flowering stems now in hopes that it will send up some nw growth.  Fingers crossed.

The bluebells have been a picture this year but they are over now, sadly.  Close to them, the confused dahlia is coming up again, faithful old flower.  It's confused because the flowers are a random mix of pink and white and they are eye catching in what is a gloomy corner.   I thought I might have lost it in the very cold weather but no - there it is again.
There were bulbs too earlier.

And finally . . .
You have seen this plenty of times.  It really brightens up the front door and is doing very nicely at the moment.

Looking at it, yes, I will put a planter the other end too next year - it should make a considerable difference.  

Finally, finally - turning 180 degrees from the planters, this is my 'lawn' - ha ha.

It's never in great shape but it could be worse (and has been, many times) and I keep it because it's a nice little splash of green among the paving.  

After taking all the photos and realising how tatty parts were, I gave it about an hour of attention and it's now looking a bit better.  The grass has been mown but those daisies will be flowering again very soon.  You can't keep a determined daisy down, can you.  I love them!


I do have some soil improver in the garage - I must read the instruction and use it!!

Anyway - there you are.  The front.  Not perfect by a long shot but it's OK.

Today starts off with the first food shop of June.  Yes, I know it's not June yet but the next three mornings are busy and I do like to do my shop early in the morning, before it gets too busy.  I have my list ready and, thankfully, all June's dosh is in so it's ok to bring it forward a bit.
Then, after that's all done and dusted and depending on the weather, I will change my bedding, I think, and continue with the clothes sorting out.  I started yesterday but didn't get that far with it.
And I need to get check over May's Excel page and make sure it is bang up to date after the long weekend.   

After then - meal planning, knitting and chilling, I guess.
How about you?  xx





18 comments:

  1. Your border is looking good and the tubs are lovely . My front border is solid clay too - trying to do anything with it in dry spells is impossible.
    Another day of grey cloud is forecast here too while the rest of the country has sun - so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue. All things considered, it isn't that much of an eyesore really (it has been in the past) and that clay is such a pain, isn't it?
      It's really cold here. Still no sun although it does look a little bit brighter and the solar panels seem happy. I just wish my hands would warm up though. xx

      Delete
  2. My sympathy for the concrete hard clay, we have a clay cap over chalk. I've started to work in/mulch with Canna Coco Professional Plus, it's made from coco fibre and well rotted manure. It's a long process though. Nice variety in your border. The bluey green leaves around your down pipe I think are self seeded poppies, the purple ones, they will spread. The shrub looks like Euonymus Silver Queen. Annabeth x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't build up the soil too much because it's already close to the damp course thingy, but I will look out for what you recommend and read the info. I think I need to do something, it's so poor.
      Yes, that's what it is - thanks very much.
      I'm not sure the poppies are purple and I planted one, quite a while ago now, in hopes that it would self seed. I love poppies.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Re-reading my comment it sounds a bit odd, the well rotted manure is separate not included in the coco fibre.
    Hm, such a low damp course is a bit of a bummer. The 'drastic' alternative would be, dig it up and replace the soil. However, you managed very well so far and the plants seem to be thriving, regardless. Your gardener would have good suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have ummed and ahed about digging right down and replacing but that would mean maybe losing established plants. I'm not sure. I have time to ponder it anyway. Thanks for all the advice. xx

      Delete
  4. Some lovely planting there, and yes I often take photos of things and then while putting them on the computer or cropping them, realise how messy something looks. I also only dust or hoover AFTER people have visited and then left. I seem to see things through fresh eyes then and realise how dusty or messy areas are.

    I love the header by the way. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue.
      Yes, I'm definitely like that. Familiarity breeds - er - selective blindness! xx

      Delete
  5. Hi Joy, I have just sent Victoria a message! I hope you have had a good day meal planning and knitting - chilling, well I can relate to that. I came back from Cornwall today and left the wall to wall blue and hot sunshine behind (sorry I couldn't bring it with me). London was cloudy and so is Essex - chilly is how I would describe it! Cornwall is still basking in sunshine 😏.
    Suze x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Suze. I think she is away for a few days so give me time, please. :-) I'll get back to you asap.
      Yes, it's chilly here - and dull - what a change from the weekend!
      xx

      Delete
  6. Pretty flowers all doing their best, and you can't ask anything more x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing their best in unfavourable conditions. lol
      xx

      Delete
  7. I think stepping back and taking a look at something from a distance (even through a lens) can make us see how something really looks. For June I'm going to work on getting my house in order. I noticed things really bothering me when I'd been away for a week and came back and got a fresh look at things! Well done for spending some time tidying it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Sharon. Sometime you get 'mess-blind' - you just don't notice it any more and then, a different perspective and - oh, dear. Good luck with sorting your things out. xx

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed seeing all the plants in your front border. Looks like you've plenty of lovely plants growing in less than ideal soil. I did smile at the lawn (I have no lawn at all - the drought and watering restrictions did away with it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I smile at it too - wouldn't be without it, poor as it is! :-)

      Delete
  9. Your tubs by the front door are beautiful. I also struggle with poor soil here. It could really do with digging out and being replaced. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess our plants do pretty well, all things considered. Maybe, once day . . . and yes, the tubs are good - I'm pleased with them, thanks. xx

      Delete