Tuesday 1 March 2022

Tuesday

 Good morning, everyone .  It's a wet old morning out there and it may have been raining all night.  It feels mild though, which is good, and it's very still - no movement in the trees at all.

I'm really glad I left plenty of time to get to Hyde Hall because as I neared the road that led to the road that Hyde Hall is on (The Tye, for anyone who knows the area), it was closed to traffic and the diversion unnecessarily took me all round the villages.  If I'd been sensible, I'd have taken another way I actually knew which would have been loads easier.  As it was, I was only just in time.

I really enjoyed the hand stitched applique very much indeed.  There were seven of us, mostly of a 'certain age', and all of us beginners.  The lady leading the course was very clear and patient and took us through the basics before letting us loose with a range of template, some Bondaweb (sort of double sided iron on, peel off stuff, loads of fabric scraps, pencils, scissors, etc.

I chose something small so I could experiment with some of the stitches and I'm glad I did.  It was a three hour course and I could have done with another hour or so but we had to finish at around one.

And here we are. My first ever hand stitched applique thingy.  Not brilliant, I know, but I'm pleased with it for a first go and I can see where I can improve.  


I have everything I need to have another go including a bit more Bondaweb.  I've looked up some books but they all seem way too fancy-arty for the sort of 'naïve' stuff I want to do so I'll look on Google images for some simple shapes to copy and I will go into Sharon Blackman's shop on Etsy to study her work with slightly more knowledgeable and much more appreciative eyes.

And I can do French knots now!

I was going to stay and look around but by one the sun had long gone, the clouds had rolled over and it kept threatening to rain so I came home again, stopping to fill up with petrol.  I've put off tuition until today so I just turned the heating up (I felt very cold) and snuggled down to finish my little work of art before getting on with the cross stitch and catching up on Throw Down.  It's the final next week and I think I know who will win but you can never be sure in these things.  

Today is usually my Nothing-In-The-Diary day but this week it isn't.  The garden room chap is coming at around one and then I have tuition after school.  Between times, after a quick tidy up, I shall chill and enjoy a bit of internet trawling for applique info.  There's bound to be stuff on YouTube, the problem will be that it might be far too arty!

Eileen - DON'T get the label maker I got.  The gizmo itself is lovely but it seems there will be great difficulties getting replacement labels/tape.  I'm hoping to hear back as to where I can find them but am not hopeful really.  We will see.

Have a good day, everyone, and I hope any rain you have doesn't spoil your plans.  Stay safe and well  Happy St David's Day.

28 comments:

  1. Don't be so modest, Joy - your applique picture is beautiful! Well done, I'm quite sure if I'd had a go my first effort would probably not have even been recognisable for what it was supposed to be. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you very much. I did have a template to draw around, to be honest. I do really like it and it was very satisfying, but I can't pretend it's more than a first go - it felt like needle 'painting' once I'd sewn the mushroom on. It was really good fun though and I'd like to have another go. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  2. Your little applique is lovely.

    Wet wet wet here this a.m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It'll make a nice little card, I think. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  3. Joy, that's absolutely beautiful, whoever receives it as a card will be highly delighted x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your applique looks fabulous .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very satisfying to make, thank you. xx

      Delete
  5. Great idea to use your lovely applique as a card, can't believe such even stitching at a first attempt, mine would be all over the place! All those French knots, wow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe the French knots either. It's so much better when you can actually see what's happening rather than following a diagram.
      xx

      Delete
  6. Your applique is beautiful. I always think it's a good sign when you leave a course wanting to do more.

    I've noted what you say about the labelling machine. Have you actually used yours yet or can you return it? I'll look into tape supplies when I get round to ordering mine. Thanks for the heads up xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I used it and I am sure it will be useful for the labels I have and you never know, the company might point the way to where I can get replacements. I've posted a question anyway.

      Thanks - yes, it's a good sign. Looking sideways at the feedback forms, everyone was giving it top marks which is lovely.
      xx

      Delete
  7. Ahhhh! Not brilliant she says! Unless I need a new pair of specs I can't see anything wrong with it! It looks fabulous to me and so very neat. I think using this applique on a card will be a smashing idea. keep well. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. < chuckle > Thank you! Everyone is being very nice and, truly, I do like it a lot. I will definitely be trying some more - it was so enjoyable.
      xx

      Delete
  8. Joy, that applique is really pretty and I'd be pleased as punch if I could turn out something anywhere near as good. It's bright blue sky and sunshine but bitterly cold here. Woke to a thick icy frost and it's only just lifting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Cherie. It's not cold here, just wet. Quite the opposite.
      xx

      Delete
  9. I'm sorry that I haven't been around in the last week, so I am having a good catch up with friends and their blogs today.
    Your applique creation is lovely and beautifully stitched. I'm glad you enjoyed your course at Hyde Hall. Your xst is looking good too. I must get and finish my current small piece of stitchery :)
    I'm buying new containers for the kitchen mostly to accommodate both mine and D's stuff. Square containers look great.
    We have solar panels fitted and are very glad we did, but some research is a good idea.
    Happy St David's Day to you Joy and enjoy your mini daffodils x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're enjoying your catch up!
      Thanks for all your lovely comments - what kind of containers are you getting?

      Have you had the solar panels for long? What company did you use?
      xx

      Delete
    2. At the moment I have been using the plastic squarish ones that I already have so will get a few more of those but I do like your ones. My son has given us two lovely glass ones that he didn't need so I shall use those to display some items on shelves.
      We have had the panels since 2013 but unfortunately the company we used is no longer trading.

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much for responding. xx

      Delete
  10. Beautiful sunny day here! Your applique is lovely :-) I find hand stitching anything very relaxing xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is - and all those lovely little stitches . . . so satisfying!
      xx

      Delete
  11. That is lovely, it deserves to be in a little frame for posterity.

    It's been a gorgeous day here, sunshine pouring in through the windows for most of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's so kind, thanks.
      I want to do some more so let's see how it goes. xx

      Delete
  12. Oh wow! That looks beautiful. It's another thing I'd love to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great fun, very relaxing, focuses the mind (those two are not a contradiction! :-) ) and I just had a great time. Thank you, Sharon.
      xx

      Delete
  13. Colouring books are good for appliqué ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a brilliant idea - thanks very much.
      xx

      Delete