Wednesday 23 March 2022

Wednesday

 Good morning, everyone.  After a lovely, sunshiny day yesterday, today looks like being exactly the same but maybe a bit warmer.  Lovely!

Yesterday was absolutely great.  Greenwoods is a lovely place (I have been there before but before it was a spa and hotel) with beautifully looked after grounds and with staff that are friendly and very helpful.  If you're not bothered about an almost blow by blow account of the day, feel free to skip several paragraphs
< grin >

We arrived just after ten after a very easy drive (Stock isn't far out of Chelmsford) and started the experience with coffee and pastries in the lounge (yum) before we made our way to the spa.  


On the way, I popped my head into the gym which looked really good - not enormous but big enough and there seemed to be a class going on.  I'd brought some workout kit with me but, as it happened, I didn't use the gym (this time!).

The pool is gorgeous.  It's much bigger than I expected with loungers round two sides and one long side with big windows (on the left) onto an outside area that looks a veritable sun trap.  


I had to be careful not to catch anyone in my photo, hence it being cut off on the right.  Back right (where the hand rails are) is a jacuzzi with a really good bubble and to the right of that are dry and steam sauna rooms, quite small ones with temperatures just right for us.


We swam, bubbled, steamed and rested with our books (when we weren't chatting, that is) before getting dressed again for lunch (hotel rules!)



I was a bit concerned about a three course lunch but, as it happens, portions were sensible and it was all quite light.  They mushroom soup was proper mushroom soup, made with real mushrooms that gave a proper flavour and texture, not just a slightly beige and gloopy liquid.
Beth had a butternut squash risotto that tasted so good I wished I'd chosen it too.  However, my chicken was delicious and the green beans were perfect.  I'm not that fond of fondant potato so left most of that but I'm sure it was good.
What can I say about dessert?  We shared!

After another relax in the hotel lounge, we went back to the spa and did the whole thing over again, finishing off in they early evening with a really nice pot of tea before driving home.

We had such a lovely time.

I made tentative enquiries about spa membership, expecting it to be way out of my league, and was surprised to discover that it wasn't.   In fact, it is less than the Nuffield gym in town which I have been umming and ahing about.
They do a six week trial membership for what seems to be a very reasonable sum when you consider how much as spa day costs individually (Beth and I got a half price special offer voucher).  It doesn't include food, of course, just the use of the gym and spa but with a bit off any food and a bit off any treatments.
Apparently, it gets quite busy at weekends but during the week much less so and, certainly, yesterday had enough people there to make it interesting but not in the least bit crowded.  And Tuesday is my 'nothing in the diary' day . . .
I'm pondering but I expect I will give it a trial and see how much I actually manage to use it in that six weeks before making a commitment for a year, which is what you have to do.

Anyway, that's that, I'm so glad Covid didn't sabotage it and I know Beth had a great time too - she works very hard and needed a bit of spoiling!

Today I thought I would have to be dressed and presentable because a garden room rep was coming (cancelled from last week) but when I looked in the diary, nothing.  Oh, thought I, and looked up the email from them.  It's next Wednesday and that IS in my diary.
I'm glad.  I'm feeling quite weary after yesterday and have a hair appointment and personal training this afternoon so a restful morning (hopefully in up to 18 degree sunshine in the garden) sounds perfect!
My shoulders and neck are aching but that's the swimming, not Covid after effects.  I was surprised how much swimming I managed to fit in actually, between chatty sessions.

Time for my second coffee so I will stop now and sign off.  Have a super day, everyone, and take care.  xx

16 comments:

  1. What a lovely day, altho I lived in Billericay I never did a Spa day, but we did have an afternoon tea there, absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, those afternoon teas looked so delicious. Beth and I have promised ourselves . . .
      Stock is such a lovely village, isn't it? xx

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a lovely special day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear you enjoyed a special day in perfect company! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely great company - it makes a good day perfect. xx

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you both enjoyed a wonderfully relaxing day. What a treat. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely - as you say, a real treat. xx

      Delete
  5. So glad you both had such a good time. The food looks delicious and I'm glad you didn't skimp on the treats. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really didn't! Yes, it was a lovely day, thankls.
      xx

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a wonderful time was had and so well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - we both enjoyed a bit of spoiling, that's for sure.
      xx

      Delete
  7. I bet you feel all relaxed and pampered after your spa day. What are you up to today?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do, it was a lovely feeling. Today is the Thursday chat with Chris and then I'm off to Cressing Temple with Val for lunch. To think I was worried that I would be bored post retirement!!
      xx

      Delete