Tuesday 22 March 2022

Tuesday: garden edition

 Good morning.  Another delightful day yesterday with wall to wall sunshine, albeit a bit hazy at times.  Today doesn't matter so much but it looks promising, all the same

Yesterday was great.  I got my deliveries, circuit training was good (I took it a bit easier and coughed a lot but nothing worse) and it was so fantastic to be out and about again.  Everything has turned so green in the fortnight I have been imprisoned!
After circuits, I drove on to Hobbycraft, got the missing thread and now the  stacking teacups picture is completely finished.
I also played about with the little elephant.  I have to change the button - I didn't notice it had a flaw - and a blue sky would have been nice but it was too late for that.  I quite like the little daisies in the grass - see the French knots!!

(It's a scan so there's some shadows showing - it's not dirt, just shadow)

There's one more thing to do.  Annabeth has been kind enough to give me some little beads (thank you so much) and when they arrive I will use one for an eye.
Also, I am wondering about a yellow button for the sun top left and I need to sew a border as well.  I might leave that last for another one where I apply what I've learnt and do things in better order.

Finally, it was warm enough to sit out in the afternoon so I did and it was so pleasant although it still chills quickly as the sun starts to go down.

If you remember, last month, rather than start on the allotment then, I said I would wait until after the Potters weekend and then get going.  The best laid plans . . . here I am, a fortnight down the track and I haven't even been there, let alone started.  This week is a bit of a washout too so next week - that's allotment start date.  Better late than not at all.

I had a good nosey around the garden and took a few snaps.

The little trees are showing signs of waking up, particularly the two that saw last summer through with me.

The flamenco apple (I wonder how many apples I will get after the seven last summer),
the minarette Braeburn
and the fig (might not get anything from the fig but it will look great, I hope).


The Victoria plum and the Beth pear are not so exciting yet.  The buds are swelling a bit but nothing particularly noticeable.

The alstromeria . . . 
. . . and the penstemon, both acquired last year, are looking hopeful.
The daffodils are starting on the downward slope now but the hyacinths are still gorgeous.  It's just a shame the bulbs have to look so messy for a couple of months until the leaves all die back.
I had no idea the clematis was so forward as it was hiding behind some daffs.  I moved the planter after taking that photo because the garden room will cover that bit of fence and if I didn't move it soon, it would be too tangled up with the fencing.  I'm not sure it's the right place for it but it will have to do for this year.
The pink blueberry did nothing at all last year so is on its last warning.  I cut the other blueberry back quite a lot so it might not do much after a fab harvest last year.
My little pot of lily of the valley that Mum gave me several years ago is sending up new growth.  I split them a couple of years ago and planted half out the front so fingers crossed.













Today is spa day with Beth.  I'm all ready and will be picking her up around half past nine, I expect.  I'm really looking forward to it so much.

Have a super day, everyone.  xx


18 comments:

  1. I love to see other people's plants and yours are coming along nicely. The allotment will soon catch up now that the weather is getting warmer. Have fun at that spa day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will, once I've got it back into some sort of order again. :-)
      Thanks.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Looking promising in the garden! Conventional clematis wisdom is that they like their feet in the shade and their heads in the sun, but I've found that whether a clematis likes my chosen spot for it is a total gamble!
    Maybe a bit of trellis on the side garden room eventually? That would be very sweet. Have a lovely time at the spa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what Dad used to say - feet in the shade and head in the sun. That back fence was the only place that fitted that.
      Trellis won't be possible on the garden room, sadly - it would be nice, I agree.. Two sides face the wall/fence and the one that will show has bifold doors.
      I'll find somewhere and until he room is done, whenever that will be, I don't really know how everything else will work out anyway. xx

      Delete
  3. Hope you have a wonderful relaxing day at the spa.
    My garden is perhaps two weeks behind yours - so much further north!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit colder nearer the coast too, I expect.
      Thanks, Sue. xx

      Delete
  4. Lovely to read you're so much better.. we are very excited to see pink blossom buds on our peach tree, and everything seems to be flourishing. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, lovely. Blossom time is just gorgeous, isn't it? xx

      Delete
  5. So exciting when the new shoots are emerging once again, like meeting old friends after a long absence!

    Love the elephant applique, such clever use of the daisy button! The beads are on their way, might even arrive today. If they don't work you could always do a French knot eye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have arrived, thanks, beads and . . . just what I needed after a long hard spa day. lol
      Thank you very, very much.
      xx

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the peep into your garden... it's looking good.

    Hope you have a fantastic time with Beth today. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eileen, I think once the tomatoes are in and rowing and all the other bits and bobs I plan, it will look really nice.

      It was brilliant at the spa.
      xx

      Delete
  7. It is so good to see new shoots and prettiness in the garden. Spring is here hopefully :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think it is now. There will be more frosts, for sure, but they days' are warming up so nicely.
      xx

      Delete
  8. Love the elephant even more. Hope you and Beth are having a great time at the spa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks very much. We had a lovely time. xx

      Delete
  9. Wow such wonderful growth in the garden.

    The elephant is great! You've done a lovely job with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon. I learned a lot too. xx

      Delete