Friday 25 March 2022

Friday

 Good morning, everyone.  Yet again, the day starts with a frost and promise of plenty of sunshine to come.  I've been so enjoying relaxing out in the garden.  Long may it continue.

Sue C, the new banner photo is that daffodil bank I mentioned in my comment yesterday and here's another.  It's a real picture at the moment.


Yesterday, after a lovely chat with Chris, I set off for Val's and from there we drove the extra ten minutes to Cressing Temple Barns.  It says on the web site that it is a 'unique piece of history' and it really is with its 13th century Knights Templar barns, restored Elizabethan walled garden and other old buildings, its Well House with a deep, deep well that is 25ft to a wooden planform and another 25ft to the water level and plenty of space to walk and to just breathe.
Here's a link to the web site and I will drop a few photos in below the link

https://www.explore-essex.com/places-to-go/find-whats-near-me/cressing-temple-barns


They were going great guns building their nests and shouting to each other through the branches!



In the walled garden, just one clump among so many.  Everything was waking up!


The centre of the walled garden from the viewing platform . . .


And just to the right of the feature above, one half of a knot garden area.


One of the old, medieval barns - sadly, they were both closed for their spring clean but should be open again soon.


The well house . . .



. . . and the well, well protected.



Just a general view from one side.





There's also a Tiptree Tea Rooms there so Val and I had lunch - I had a very nice brie and bacon toastie and I also found a nice little selection of Tiptree jams in a box to give to a friend whose birthday it was yesterday and who I will be seeing at Slimming World this morning.



Today starts with Slimming World.  I'm rather dreading it after four weeks not weighing, including a holiday and then comfort eating for England and beyond.  I am perfectly capable of gaining up to a stone in that time and I expect that's what I have done.  Oh, well, I know what to do!

After that, I did um and ah about going to Greenwoods but I decided not to.  I have been feeling very, very tired come the evenings this week, unsurprisingly, and this evening Beth and I are going to Prezzo for a girly cocktail, meal and chat.  If I want to stay awake, I need to be sensible so I will stay in, get the home ready for the lovely cleaners and then, I hope, snooze a few hours away. Beth is staying for the night and we are taxi-ing there and back, so it's a proper evening out and I am looking forward to it.

Just before Covid and Lockdown struck, two years ago, we had decided that an evening out once a month would be a Very Good Thing to do.  We had a couple and it was lovely but then, of course, it all ground to a halt.  It feels very good to be able to start it up again.

Have a fantastic day.  Mary, I do hope you aren't feeling too unwell and that healing comes quickly.  
Stay safe and be happy, everyone.  xx



22 comments:

  1. Your trip out sounds perfect and if ever I win the lottery I'll have a walled garden. Just a small house but a walled garden... How was your night out with Beth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would LOVE a walled garden - a proper one, big enough to be a proper walled garden. I have a bit of half-wall and I do like it but nothing compared with those wonderful, old, erratic REAL walls!
      The night out is tonight so I'm looking forward to it.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, a walled garden, bit of veg, bit of orchard, ornamental and a few trees would be lovely! (and gardeners to do all the boring bits so I can just swan around, snip here and there, collect the goodies in my trug!) Have a fabulous night out!

    I'm off to the British Library shortly, one of our party has managed to arrange a guided tour behind the scenes as she knows somebody who works there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the sound of all that, especially the last bit. Must be nice to be upper class!! lol

      Your day sounds amazing. Have a wonderful time.
      xx

      Delete
  3. What a lovely place - I love the little knot garden. I cannot seem to get back into the swing of things still and there have been many family changes here so I am not sure what is normal now! I have a back problem at the moment so even blogging is difficult - I am so annoyed as it is good gardening weather and I can only watch everything springing up including the weeds! Have a lovely girly night. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must feel pretty miserable for you right at the moment. Sending love and healing vibes and hopes that things improve very quickly.
      xx

      Delete
  4. You live in such a lovely area. I googled the Cressing Temple Barns and it looks like a fascinating place to visit. I may have to add Essex to my ever growing list of places to visit!

    Hope the weight gain isn't too awful and whether it is or not, hope you have a fantastic girlie night out with Beth xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some very interesting places around here if you can drive. If you ever do come this way, do let me know, won't you?

      It was rather awful but I know what to do so off we go again!
      xx

      Delete
  5. Have fun with Beth…rest…

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cressing Temple barns is a lovely place, I went there several times a few years ago.. food was delish! Hope the scales will be kind for you.
    Can I ask you to do a search for my blog please it doesn't seem to be showing new posts on yours..https://perhapslivingthegoodlife.blogspot.com/ Thank you.. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done so and updated my list of blogs I follow - there were a few I needed to delete anyway.
      Can you let me know if there's still problems, please.
      xx

      Delete
  7. I would love a walled garden, especially the sort that have a half-greenhouse leaning against one of the walls. My dream.

    I really miss Prezzo, we usually try and book our little UK breaks to either have one near where we stay or have one on the journey there and stop for lunch. When we lived in Oxfordshire, the Thame branch was near enough to visit once every couple of weeks for a treat.

    Enjoy your evening, and have a glass of their house white for me. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes . . .

      I will, thanks. They do some very tasty meals there.
      xx

      Delete
  8. This response is a book...feel free to peruse...I became a teacher in 1994 after graduating that year college...I started old...had more careers. (I have moved 31 times) Anyway, I studied with 30 teachers and leaders at The Folger's Shakespeare and Georgetown a month in 1996...I was hooked. I student a few years later at Shakespeare and Co. (Mass.) one month in summer...I became the Shakespeare teacher...did get a Master's Degree before age 60...and almost my doctorate...I digress...In 2006, I was one of 20 teachers to go to England...The Globe...The Thames...it was paid for except I had to pay for having private room...we did Oxford...Warwick Castle. We were all Shakespeare gurus...the trip to Stratford upon AVon was a couple of hours...we were so disappointed and told the group leader THAT was the reason we came to England...anyway. I loved LONDON...I loved the countryside...the people...the scones...all of it...I was enchanted. In 2008, 20 more teachers got to go, and they included me...all of these trips and institutes are government funded except private room in England...we received free bus passes.free subway...many free meals...the excursions we wanted extra we paid for...this time we stayed in Stratford upon Avon two nights or more in a B and B...I loved it all again...I would have returned but age...I did the London Eye the second time...loved it...The Globe...we took some classes there...we saw the plays...we were there in June and July, and it was hot...no air conditioning for us...whew...and did I mention I was going through a time of my life for the third time that made it even hotter...lol...
    That being said, I love your blog. I am using LOVE many times...but there is no other word...I love Her in Him Out 2 blog...I love the Cottage at the End of the Lane...Love A Wordy Woman (Ireland)...I can't return...my age and health permits it...but what I enjoy most are your travels...books read...I am sorry you have had Covid...we know what it is like and are thankful for the vaccine. However, it is still not great here, and others have quit masking and going out in huge groups...just not worrying anymore...I want to stay healthy...
    Thank you for taking the time to write..I look forward to your blog each morning...an aside: My first ride on the Thames...I told the person beside me...a complete stranger, "I have lived...I have been on the Thames..." She laughed like I was crazy...I have been to 46 of our states and enjoyed so many places. My favorite is NYC (City)...where now this year my granddaughter is working for a publisher...my favorite other is the ocean. I live in Florida on the Gulf...keep writing...take care...rest much...Covid wicked...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a busy and interesting life.

      We're finding the same thing - fewer masks and larger groups. Fortunately, this current strain seems to be easily caught but not seriously dangerous, just a bit miserable. Part of learning to live with it, I guess.

      Florida must be a lovely place - as long as one has air con!!
      xx

      Delete
  9. I do t find it any more hot in summers than the other places I have lived and no snow…yes…

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Joy. Doing okay. Looks like you had a lovely day out. Hope you are well rested for you night out with Beth. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, thanks, Mary. Looking forward to it. I'm glad you're doing OK. xx

      Delete
  11. What a wonderful place! I love the photos. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love Cressing Temple Barns - it's got that atmosphere of 'freedom' and the old buildings are really interesting, I think. The two barns are amazing!
      xx

      Delete