Sunday 27 March 2022

Mothering Sunday

 


This morning, I am thinking of my lovely Mum who passed away early in the morning of Mothering Sunday three years ago.  She was the very best and I still miss her very much indeed.


Good morning, everyone.  Isn't it typical that just as British Summer Time starts, the lovely weather breaks and this morning is dull and rather damp with a misty light drizzle in the air!  It looks as if it's going to be dull and a bit damp all week, turning colder again in a few days.  
Poor plants - just as they get used to a bit of sunshine too!

My little fruit trees are definitely budding up nicely now.  I so love those fresh little baby leaves emerging from bud and sniffing at the fresh air.


Loads and loads of flower buds on the flamenco apple.  Last year (its first year) there were two clusters of flower buds - at the moment there are at least twenty.


The Beth pear is also now coming to life.  As it is the first year for this and the Victoria plum below, I don't expect very much but just lots of leaves will be fine and enhance the garden.,



The Victoria plum . . .


The little fig leaves are so cute!   I really am not too fussed about fruit - I just love the shape of leaves and plant.

Must get the codling moth trap thingies sorted out for this year before too long.




Yesterday was a quiet and gentle day.  I woke early after sleeping badly but Beth, bless her, didn't emerge until the afternoon.  It's her holiday week so why not?  I wish I could!

I really didn't do much.  A bit of kitchen pottering, a bit of tidying and quite a lot of watching telly, reading and snoozing!


Today, I am off to Beth's later on for lunch - a sort of Mothering Sunday treat.  
Also, tuition resumes tomorrow (must check though, not just assume) so I need to go over my planning.  Apart from that, I am going to take it easy as the weariness is still hanging around, although it is much better than a few days ago.  No point pushing things too far though.

Whether or not you 'do' Mothering Sunday, I hope you all have a great day with plenty of happiness.  xx


23 comments:

  1. Have a good Mothering Sunday
    A quiet one for me as the nearest bit of family went on holiday and came back with Covid! - luckily not too poorly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems to be the ongoing pattern - go away and bring it home. I'm glad they are not too unwell and, I hope, over it speedily.
      Perhaps you could have an online chat, if they feel up to it?
      xx

      Delete
  2. Lovely photo of your mum, mine died when I was 2 1/2 so I never knew her.. but I am a mum of 4, all live too far away to visit. We too are excited to see buds on our preach tree, which we dug up and brought with us. Take your time getting well again, no point rushing it. I see my blog on your side bar is still not registering new posts I have been through all the settings but can't see what to do, any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so odd. I updated so it should be OK now. Maybe it's a blogger issue?

      How fab to have a peach tree. Is is hardy and is it self pollinating? How amazing to have fresh peaches.

      Maybe you can have some online time with your family soon. xx

      Delete
    2. OK, the wording isn't updating but when I click on it, it takes me to your latest post. That's weird.
      (I see I have you twice - I thought I deleted one of them. I'll go and do it now. :-) )
      xx

      Delete
    3. Me again - it's only showing once on the editing thing - it could very well be a blogger issue in which case there's not a lot we can do. xx

      Delete
    4. Thank you for looking Joy.

      Delete
  3. I know that when a parent dies on a day that is meant to celebrate them, like Mothering Sunday or Father's day, that day carries a special poignancy for years to come. My father died on Father's day almost 40 years ago and I still feel the void, especially on the day when others are (rightfully and happily) celebrating their own. Glad you will have time with Beth today so that you can celebrate your own motherhood, as well as remember the love and joy your own mother provided your whole family. Hope your day brings you lots of lovely memories. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. Unfortunately, Beth isn't feeling well so I won't be going over but it's OK. I saw a lot of her this week.
      I have two special Mum days, of course, Mothering Sunday and March 31st.
      xx

      Delete
  4. Sending {[hugs}} as you remember your Mum today, and very sorry to hear that Beth is feeling poorly. I hope she is better soon and that you start to feel back to normal yourself.

    Your mini orchard is looking so good ... are you excited?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am excited. Even if it's just a little bit of fruit, it will be lovely to pick and eat - just like the tomatoes!
      Thanks.
      xx

      Delete
  5. Sending you a gently hug. Can't wit to see whether you get a decent fruit harvest from any of those trees, mine are just pushing out their first baby leaves of the year but we aren't expecting a crop of anything as they were just skinny little saplings last year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might get a nice number from the flamenco as it's second year but I don't expect much from the others. I'll have to see how much blossom there is.
      Mine are miniatures anyway so I'll never get loads.
      xx

      Delete
  6. It was lovely to see the picture of your Mother, Joy. I know you miss her very much as I miss my mother who has been gone for over 25 years now. I'm glad you have had fun with Beth this past week and hope she feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. She was a very lovely lady.
      xx

      Delete
  7. Your mom looks so sweet. Enjoy the garden...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a character but always so kind and supportive. Thanks, Stephanie.
      xx

      Delete
  8. Special hugs to you on Mothering Sunday as you remember all those happy times with your own mum.
    Those breaking buds on your trees are exciting and I hope they bare lots of fruit this year xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. The flamenco apple certainly should as it's in its second year now. Anything the others yield will be a gift from Mother Nature.
      xx

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon, and the same back to you. xxx

      Delete