Tuesday 28 May 2024

Tuesday, 28-05-24

Good evening, everyone.  Thank you so much for all your kind words today.  I'm still feeling fragile, still taking pain killers but they are now working properly so definitely on the mend.

Let's go back to yesterday.  After driving over to Lindsey's for circuits (which was brilliant), I came home and got things ready for Beth and Alex coming over for lunch after which Beth and I watched Doctor Who from the three Tennant/Tate specials to the end of the Christmas special - something we had planned to do for a while.
We're going to arrange another time for Beth to catch up on the rest as a Mum/Daughter day.  Alex really isn't all that interested.

This is where it gets embarrassing because, really, being unwell is my own fault.  For the past little while I have become aware that after having alcoholic drinks, I'm getting a headache that is very migrainey/sinusy/one sided around my jaw but not dental - and before you laugh, not that kind and not after too much!
I thought - it's been a lovely day, it's a bank holiday, let's finish it off with a few small glasses of sparkly, not a lot, just a bit.  That should be OK.
Well - it wasn't.  So that's what I mean by 'self inflicted' and that's me off alcohol for good, I think.  It's just not worth it.
(I can think of worse things and I'm sure you can too - if I had a list of 'terrible things to have to do without', that would be at the bottom!)

So, today has been spent catching up on sleep and recovering.  I've done nothing really but that's OK.  I'd like to stay up and watch Sewing Bee but I suspect I will be in bed and, hopefully, asleep by then.  I'll watch it on iPlayer tomorrow.
I hope you've all had a lovely couple of days.  Lat me know what's been going on and have a great evening.  xx

14 comments:

  1. I would gladly give up alcohol if I was suffering in the way you are just now. I hope you've been drinking plenty of water today, and that you'll be feeling much better by the morning. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been but I wasn't tiddly yesterday, it is some sort of reaction. Oh well, lesson definitely learned. xx

      Delete
  2. Sorry you have been feeling rough. Hope that is the answer. XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. It's an easy answer so fingers crossed. xx

      Delete
  3. So sorry that you are feeling unwell. Hopefully the abstaining from alcohol helps.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it probably will and it is hardly a hardship. :-) xx

      Delete
  4. Hi Joy, I have the same problem with alcohol, and it's due to the preservative they use in it (sulfites). I'm allergic to them and have to be very careful with what I eat and drink. If you wanted to indulge occasionally, you can (at least here in Australia you can) buy hydrogen peroxide drops to add to the wine get rid of the sulfites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting. I didn't know that. However, I think just not having any is the answer for me.
      I looked the drops up - you can get them and it seems they are good for ear wax - dealing with it, I mean. Also, it is a bleaching agent.
      xx

      Delete
  5. Good to hear you're on the mend :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm feeling loads better, done two keep fit classes this morning which has really blown away those cobwebs and, while there's a slight residual ache, it's nothing, easy to ignore. A great relief. xx

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear about the migraine. Glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, SHaron. There's a bit of residual twinging but it could be so much worse, I am just ignoring them. It's fine. xx

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear about your headaches... As mentioned, it might be the sulfides or the fining agents that are the problem. Have a go with something that is both organic and vegan - they have to use different things for clearing and preserving. It can be more expensive, but if you're looking at cutting alcohol entirely as your only other option, then a splurge for a special occasional might not be too demanding on the bank account (if it works, of course),

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very good point - I didn't think about organic/vegan. For now, I am happy to just not have but, maybe, times like Christmas . . . thank you for that. xx

      Delete