Saturday 19 February 2022

Saturday

 Morning, everyone.  I haven't had a sleepless spell in the night for quite a while but here I am at around half past three, having been awake and trying to get back to sleep for over an hour, downstairs with a coffee writing my blogs.  A bit of a nuisance but there's nothing in the diary for today so I can snooze whenever I need to - just a shame I don't seem to need to right now, isn't it?

Well, we got our storm and it was quite an event in that those winds really did pick up late morning/early afternoon and stayed fierce until around sunset when they gradually eased back again.  I was so glad I had sorted out the garden.  Some things were in the shed, a few things were weighed down with bricks (worked a treat) and all the container pots remained standing.  The bins/recycling boxes/etc which I had moved into the side passage way ended up piling up against the gate which held them in place and the bins blew over but they were safe enough there.

The biggest drama was actually caused by next door.  The house is empty, as you know, while things are being done and the builders had left the shell of the discarded bath tucked behind the skip from where it gradually blew out and along the front towards my car.  I'm so glad I spotted it before it actually hit; I doubt it would have done any more than scratch the side but obviously that would not be good so I pulled it back and put it round the side of their house, behind their side gate.  It wasn't heavy but it was rather tricky in the wind and I thought I might have to ask Chris or Steve to help but managed it finally.  I will have to have a word with the builders when they next appear. 
They also had a fence down but not on my side.

Apart from that, there didn't seem to be any problems in the cul de sac.

Ditto with Dad's house.  Colin, the chap who is keeping the garden looking nice, popped round (unasked, bless him) in the evening, had a look round and emailed John to say everything was fine, no damage.  That was very nice of him.

I ummed and ahed yesterday first thing about going to the SW meeting, given that there was a red alert.  I got as far as messaging Jen to say I wouldn't be there but the wind at that point was nothing bad and my conscience pricked so badly that I went anyway.  I'm glad I did - the walk there was fine and, while the walk back was 'interesting', it wasn't unmanageable.  If it had been in the afternoon, there was no way I would have ventured out and I'm pretty sure it would have been cancelled anyway.

I spent the rest of the day inside, counting my blessings and hoping everyone else was OK.  We had no power cuts, not even flickering lights, so that was good.

Today, there's nothing in the diary and I'm going to chill and, hopefully, catch up on sleep.  I won't be moving stuff back into the garden yet as we are forecast more strong winds tomorrow afternoon and through into Monday morning - nothing like yesterday but in the forties which is strong enough for me, thank you!

I seem to have gone on rather - sorry.  I really hope everyone is OK, whether you had high winds or snow and that any damage is very slight and easily sorted.
Take care, stay safe and have a great day.  xx

14 comments:

  1. I'm glad you managed to avoid the worst of the storm. We were very fortunate here, as the winds didn't reach above 25mph. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was lucky indeed. I'm really glad. xx

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to hear that you are ok this morning. The forecast had me quite concerned for all my blogging friends. Have a good snooze today.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't great but it could have been a lot worse - and was for some, of course.
      xx

      Delete
  3. We got off lightly here in West Yorkshire and only our obelisk is on the lean again but it does this in any winter winds. Glad you managed to avoid catastrophe with the bath tub. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I was rather dismayed when I saw it getting so close to the car. It was so lucky I just happened to look that way at the right time.
      I'm glad you're OK.

      Delete
  4. I hope the sleepless night was a one off and possibly due to the worries about the storm. Glad to hear that you didn't have any damage and managed to deflect the runaway bath before it scratched your car. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so lucky to happen to go into the kitchen and see it!
      xx

      Delete
  5. I am glad to hear that you are okay and I am sorry that more wind is coming your way.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's unusual and is predicted to last around twenty four hours, on and off, which is quite a long time round here. A good drying day tomorrow, methinks!
      xx

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you got off lucky, hearing how others fared. It's been windy here today, blowing the snow into drifts, but not nearly as bad as on the other side of the Atlantic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we did, yes. There's been a lot of damage caused and some folk are still without power and might be for a few days.
      Goodness, how lucky we are in this country that we take so much of that we have for granted when there are many parts of the world that don't have these things at all.
      xx

      Delete
  7. Oh no! Glad you were able to drag it from the car! It was nice of the man to go check on your dad's house too.

    It was windy here today, blowing and howling, snowing at the same time. We were out but could barely see in front of the car at some points. Thankfully it died down a little though we are expecting it to be windy again in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good of him, yes, and much appreciated. I was going to drop him an email to ask if he could just take a look, but he got there first, bless him.
      xx

      Delete