Tuesday 31 March 2020

Tuesday

Good morning, everyone.  It's still dark outside; this time last week it was quite light.  Never mind, it won't be long before we have lovely light mornings and evenings.

I started sorting out my winter woollies yesterday before realising that there wasn't much I can do with the 'discards' right now, they'd just be sitting in a pile gathering dust.  So they all went back in and this particular task will be finished off once lockdown is lifted, whenever that will be.

I finished the skirt.  In fact I finished two skirts because I hadn't done the hem for the Clothkits skirt so now they are both hanging up in the wardrobe, waiting for warmer weather.
Here's the one I made this week.  It's a nice pattern, just three pieces, waistband at the front and gathered at the back which is what I like, and very easy to make up.  I love the fabric too although I realise it's not necessarily everyone's cup of tea.  It's just right for sunshine.


There's some fabric left over so I must see if there's enough to make some sort of top, not necessarily to go with the skirt though.


What shall I make now . . . ?  well, apart from a top, there's that other skirt, same kind but cut on the cross so actually it will hand quite differently.  Plenty to do.

The other biggies yesterday was signing up to one of the Open University Open Learn courses.  There's loads of them and they are all free.  They don't carry any sort of accreditation (I am pretty sure they don't anyway) and that's OK because it take off all the pressure.
I've started with 'Algebra for idiots' - er - I mean Introduction to Algebra- - because that really is my stumbling block with eleven plus tuition and I hate only being one step ahead of the students, sometimes not even that.
Given my mild dyscalculia and mental block with algebra, this might be more than a bit challenging but that's OK, anything learned is a gain.  As there's no time pressures or constraints, I will just do a bit every day.  One bite at a time.
Many thanks to Eileen for inspiring me to do this.  Keeping an active brain is definitely a Good Thing.

Today is going to be a bit of a sad day - already is, in fact.  That's because today, one year ago, my lovely Mum left us.  In fact, at the time of typing but a year ago, Dad and I had just arrived home from the hospital.
I had planned to be with him today but that can't now happen.  I'm more than sorry about that.

However, things go on and here's a few plans for today.
Something energetic
As always, PE with Joe and some of my personal training programme

Something social:
Beth and I have a video chat 'booked' for three this afternoon.  Really looking forward to that.

Something in the house:
I think I will blitz the bathroom today.

Something relaxing/creative
I shall look through my patterns to see what I have in the way of tops.  I could use the same one as I used last time but I'll see what else I've got first.
Socks
I want to catch up with the very last 'Back in Time' programme, the one about the corner shop.  Somehow, I missed it when it was on but it should be on iPlayer.  Also the Mike Jeavons video; I suppose you would call it a vlog?  Is that right?

And, of course, a bit of algebra.

Stay in (if you can), stay warm and be safe and well.  xx

15 comments:

  1. Difficult day for you Joy and such a shame you can't be with your Dad but better that he is kept safe.
    It is good that you have things to keep you occupied.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane. It is a shame but that's life at the moment. We can email and I've sent him an ecard (good old Jacquie Lawson
      xx

      Delete
  2. Oh Joy, my thoughts are with you today. It's so sad that you and Dad can't be together on this day....it's a pity he doesn't Skype (or Zoom, or whatever it is). Good that you have the chat with Beth and plenty of things planned to keep you occupied today. Sending love and hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did ask him if his laptop had a web cam thingy but he didn't answer so either it hasn't or he doesn't want to worry about new (to him) technologuy. I understand.
      Thanks, Sooze. xx

      Delete
  3. It's so sad you can't be with your Dad today in person but he will know you are thinking about him I'm sure.
    Hope your day is OK despite the sadness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure he knows, yes. Thanks, Sue, and I'm sure the day will go fine and well.
      xx

      Delete
  4. Hi Joy, I wish you could be with your dad today and I'm glad you were able to send him an email. He knows how much you wish to be with him during this time. I absolutely love that skirt that you made. I love the style and the fabric. You are making me wish that I still wore skirts. I'm mainly a blue jeans gal or a nice pair of black (really?) slacks. Sad, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was really big, I wore nothing but skirts. Since I lost all the weight and realised my dream of looking OK in jeans, I've hardly won a skirt except for dressy occasions. So I'm really looking forward to feeling cooler in skirts come the summer heat.
      Not sad at all tough - we are what we are!
      Thanks, Sue. I did expect to spend the day with Dad but it was not to be.
      xx

      Delete
  5. Is it really a year? A difficult day for you and a shame you can't be with your Dad but I hope happy memories will help the day pass as easily as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time flies, doesn't it. It's been a sad day and I would have loved to have someone else around but I've just gone with the flow. Thank you so much.
      xx

      Delete
  6. I love your skirt.

    I'm sorry you can't be with your dad at the moment.
    Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I love it too and look forward to the much warmer weather so I can wear it.
      xx

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry you're not able to be with your dad today. A sad day, which must be all the more difficult for not being able to spend it with him.
    The skirt is lovely and the fabric is so beautiful, perfect for summer days. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you. Isolation has been a bit hard today but so many happy memories too.
      xx

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry to be commenting so late - I haven’t been reading blogs this week. So sad that you and your Dad weren't able to spend the day together. I hope you were able to enjoy some happy memories among the tears xxx

    ReplyDelete