Tuesday 16 August 2022

Tuesday

 Today's garden happy - the cucumber really dislikes this heat and it's all shrivelled up again after seeming to recover.  However, it is still valiantly attempting to produce fruit - that drive to reproduce is so very strong.


Good morning, everyone.  It is stupid o'clock and still quite dark outside but we have had some rain overnight (yay) and it feels considerably fresher again after quite a humid day yesterday.  We have more rain predicted early evening after a sensibly warm day and tomorrow looks 'gently damp' for much of the day.

Yesterday pretty much went as planned.
The lovely Chris left some more apple on the doorstep.  I cooked the first lot and they are in the freezer but I think I will just blanche this load and open freeze them.  
In exchange, I took over some tomatoes as Chris' are a bit late and only just ripening - she gave me a couple of plants and mine are the same.  Maybe they will go on for longer.

I had a good Internet trawl and found several freebie patterns for tiny weeny baby socks, proper socks not bootees, dug out some plain white four ply and had a go.  Oh, my - so, so fiddly, especially the toe part, but the results are rather pleasing.  I'll take a photo when I've finished the second one. 

The swift winder gadget turned up mid afternoon.  I got a fair old shock when I saw the parcel - surely it can't be THAT big, thought I, and, in typical Amazon fashion, it wasn't!!


See what I mean?
It took me a while to figure out how to set it up.  There were instructions but they weren't the clearest.  However, I got there and had a happy time winding my skeins into balls, all ready to use.  

While I was winding blissfully, Matt the Plumber turned up.  On Sunday, the plug mechanism in the bathroom wash basin seized up so I fired off an email asking if could possibly drop in next time he was in the area.  I call that a prompt response.  Anyway, five minutes later I had a working plug again and  he didn't even charge me which I call the best service.  Bless him.

Circuits was good.  There were only three of us - two were on holiday and one wasn't well.  We worked through three quarters of an hour of pretty energetic stuff that left up somewhat hot and sweaty but it really was satisfying.

Today looks to be easier.  There's Groove aerobics first thing and then I want to go on to Hobbycraft as I need some more DPNs.  After that, the day is my own - well, housework, etc, of course, but apart from that . . .

It's still quite dark outside but the dishwasher has finished (I usually do a load overnight) so I will go and empty that before doing the Facebook stuff.
Do you have rain?  I gather there have been some formidable storms in some parts although none here as far as I know (although I usually miss overnight storm drama anyway) with some localised flooding.  Hopefully, everyone is OK.
Take care and have a great Tuesday.  xx


12 comments:

  1. That was fast service! Here, we consider ourselves lucky if we get any sort of response at all.
    No rain here at the moment. But I'm a little further north this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a very good local plumber with his own one-man business and I had his daughter in Y1 many, many years ago. He's been my plumber for absolutely ages now. I am so very lucky. xx

      Delete
  2. What great service! I've had a bit of a nightmare year with work on the house so I am delighted for anyone when things go so smoothly.

    We have had rain, a nice amount yesterday and it looks like more today, either way it's a cloudy morning and to have a break from the glaring sun is a treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt really is very good indeed. He has a great name in the neighbourhood and more widely too.

      It's still cloudy here too although some sunshine is predicted. I'm OK either way - if feels cooler and fresher and that's great. xx

      Delete
  3. We had rain overnight and it has settled down to a steady drizzle this morning, although we are forecast a storm mid afternoon.

    That was really good service from your plumber wasn't it? Is your garden room still happening or have you decided against it?

    Enjoy yourself in Hobbycraft and please let us know what goodies you buy 😀xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am, it is just unlikely to be this year now. xx

      Delete
  4. It rained for quite a while last night and possibly through the night. I could almost hear the garden sigh with relief. We could all do with a plumber like yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dread the day he decides to retire, to be honest. xx

      Delete
  5. We had rumblings of thunder all afternoon but the rain passes us by.
    You are very patient working with 4ply white yarn - that would drive me mad!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did rather! :-)
      I've not heard any thunder but we have had some rain. xx

      Delete
  6. Had to walk down to the wool shop this morning and ended up soaked! Changed out of wet clothes and put away all the Amazon deliveries. Coffee and blog reading now. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, poor you. Did you get some nice yarn to compensate? xx

      Delete