Sunday 28 August 2022

Sunday

 Today's garden happy - one of just three apples I have this year, from the new Braeburn.  I don't seem to be having much luck with apples - the flamenco has shriveled up and the top bit is dead, after producing a pleasing number of little fruit that has all dropped off.  Ah, well, one lives and learns and at least I have three . . .


Good morning, everyone.  It's held past five and just getting light so a bit hard to tell but it looks as is it is going to be another very pleasant day today.  It was lovely yesterday and, early afternoon, it was quite hot.  Nice.

I had such a chuckle when Annabeth commented on my user of 'half term' as an appropriate time to go to Hyde Hall.  I've been out of teaching for a full seven years now and my planning mind still works in school terms and holidays.  I suspect it always will to some extent.
The autumn half term break was always a significant one.  For a start, it always contained Beth's birthday and, with Mum's birthday a week before Beth's - Christmas Cake Day as I now call it - it really did mark the start of serious Christmas preparations.  If I didn't start then, I'd never be ready!
Mum used to tease me about having all my presents bought and wrapped and my Christmas cards written before the end of half term.  That wasn't totally true but true enough to be significant.
So, you see, when it comes to something as very Christmassy as buying the Advent candle, the Autumn half term break automatically springs to mind.
I think I need to work on my mindset!  lol

While on the subject of Christmas, I got the Christmas sparkly socks finished so they are now in the Twelve Days bad alongside a couple of other items.  

I had a few parcels delivered yesterday.  One was very heavy - a tum of compost improver (to add to the contents of the compost bin) - and there was also a book I had ordered and a rather nice hooded top from Tu (Sainsbury's).

I get plenty done yesterday, in between chilling and idling around; the washing is now all finished for the week and just needs putting away..  Today looks like being more of the same although Beth comes over this afternoon and the life livens up as we pop off to Itsu to eat out together.  She might be staying over although that depends, really.

It's such a quiet life at the moment that there really isn't anything much to talk about, so I'll stop rambling and go and make my first coffee of the day.
A happy Sunday to us all.  xx

18 comments:

  1. I still think in school terms as well and in my world we are rapidly approaching the new year. I still use an academic diary which runs from September to August!

    I hope you enjoy your meal at Itsu. I googled them and discovered they have a branch in Bath, about 12 miles away, so I may try them out next time I go there. I thought their menu looked interesting. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've weaned myself off the academic diary now but, yes, new year in one week! :-)

      I'll let you know what I think of Itsu. It really does look a lovely meal selection and I'm so looking forward to it. xx

      Delete
  2. Shame your apples have not done very well but at least there are 3 beautiful looking Braeburn ( one of my favourite varieties ) My brother's large London garden has a glut of apples and plums seems to be just luck of the draw.
    Have a good Sunday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite upset about the flamenco - I will just cut away the dead bits and hope that where there are green leaves, it survives. I don't know much about fruit trees and these are minarette style, so small. Time will tell.
      Yes, the braeburns will be really lovely and there's always Lathcoats for other fresh picked apples. xx

      Delete
  3. Haha, old habits die hard! I never start on the December festivities until after my birthday, which I believe I'm sharing with Beth. Before then **** is a dirty word! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies for all the bad language on my blog right now. Hee hee.
      xx

      Delete
  4. My daughter makes fabulous sushi so must ask if she knows about this restaurant chain. I ordered some * swearyword items today for making fabric trees. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh - that does sound interesting. Fabric trees, eh?
      I want to start making my own sushi - I'm just gathering the ingredients together. I do love it and when you make your own you can add so many different things. xx

      Delete
  5. I've totally lost touch with school holidays and term times now, thank goodness. But it will be a relief when the little blighters ... err I mean darlings ... are back at school and not screaming in the supermarkets.

    Yeah, stop rambling and go and enjoy that cup of coffee ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did!!!
      It's the start of next week round here - I believe it is INSET for the first few day's of September and the children are back after next weekend. xx

      Delete
  6. I use the UK school terms in a different way than you, Joy. Whenever I plan a trip over the Pond, I always make sure it WON'T be during a half term/term holiday period. And that means I sometimes have to check all the UK locations I will be visiting as not all schools have the same term periods. :) Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do now, Mary. But it's hard not to think in terms and half terms. I do love the excitement I feel when the schools go back and I'm not a part of it any more. :-) xx

      Delete
  7. I've no idea when school term times are anymore but I haven't seen many children out playing... Nothing unusual about that these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, they really don't seem to play out as much as some years ago. Changing times. x

      Delete
  8. I am sorry that your apples did not turn out this year. Like you say live and learn. I wonder if it was your weather that caused the shriveled apples and the top having died off.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so - the problems started well before the hot weather. I'll just have to see what happens next spring, I guess. xx

      Delete
  9. I must admit I still look at the school dates even though I don't know anyone still in school lol. I just like to know how the traffic is going to be (there is a school very close to us) and whether there are going to be a lot of children about walking. They go back to school here tomorrow so I'm wondering how it will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Busy, I should think. Good luck to them - and their teachers. xx

      Delete