Monday 1 August 2022

Monday

 Today's garden happy - nearly ready to pull off.  I've had a little peek and the kernels just need to plump up a wee bit.  Maybe by Wednesday or Thursday . . .


Thank you for all your lovely comments about the yarn, etc, yesterday.  I think I have answered them all and have checked Spam.

Eileen, the lady who created the blanket has a YouTube channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/thecrochetchain
and a site where you can buy the book that has the pattern and tuition for the different stitches (worth getting, I think) here
https://www.thecrochetchain.co.uk/

Yesterday was devoted  to chilling and trying out a few things.
I learnt a new to me stitch on Saturday on the Yarn Mixology stall . . .
(here's the link to the site - https://www.yarnmixology.co.uk/ )
. . . a three dimensional, two colour honeycomb stitch which was quite easy once I sussed where I was going wrong.

This is the stitch (which looked gorgeous with a bobble - what they call their yarn cakes - of ombre colour and a plain yarn to make a shawl that was on their stall) . . .


And this is what I ended up making (for a purpose, not just because).  It's pretty much a first size little jacket, maybe around one of two months, and I just used a bit of my stash and my experience.  :-).  I just have to get buttons but can't sew them on because I don't know which side to put them yet.


I must write down the pattern!

Then I carried on trying out the crochet stitches for the blanket.
The earlier ones are easy enough but they gat harder and some can only be done in situ.  I went through my stash, chose some colours and started making one, not the final one as the colours are not really that right, but it will give me experience and a finished blanket that I can donate somewhere.
I expect that there will be plenty of undoing and retrying!

Today, things are back to normal.  I want to pop over to M&S/Aldi for some supplies.  Later on, it is circuits and, perhaps, a swim although I expect I will want to get back to carry on crocheting.

While I work, I have started watching all the QI programmes right from the start on iPlayer.  Most enjoyable.  I'm looking forward to my daily dose!

Well, better shut up and carry on with life, I suppose.
Have a wonderful first day of August and stay safe and well.  xx

14 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous little cardi, I love the colourway. I'm looking forward to taking up crochet again, but not just yet - it's a winter pastime for me. Have a nice day Joy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly good to do on those long winter evenings, isn't it? xx

      Delete
  2. What a treasure trove at the Fibre East, haven't been to one of those for years, wonder whether they'll ever come back as before the pandemic. Maybe it's just tentative beginnings and they'll grow again when we can be confident and safe again.
    Looks like you're going to get sparkly socks too!! I love, love, knitting socks, I find them relaxing and they don't take a lot of thinking so great for the knitternatter sessions. Making knee highs for my great nieces' presents at the moment. They like to wear them in their wellies.

    Love the honeycomb baby cardy, so sweet.The graded yarn cakes look similar to Caron cakes. You could google the name of the cakes and see whether there are any patterns, in Ravelry too. Happy knitting and crocheting! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it won't be Fibre East, some other 'group' is doing it now and I'm sure that next year they will have learned from their mistakes this year. It was still really good.
      I enjoy sock knitting too - there's something about doping the heel and suddenly there it is, the right shape!

      That's a really good idea about googling the name. Thanks very much. xx

      Delete
  3. That little cardigan is gorgeous. What a clever stitch, it looks so complicated.

    Both my boys were in babygro's when they were tiny with their fancy little cardigans on top to brighten up their outfits. Simon had an aversion to coats for some reason, so in his buggy he sat n a buggy-muff to keep his legs warm and he used to wear a normal little cardigan and then one a couple of sizes bigger over the top, all handknitted by his adoring granny and great grannies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is clever but very easy, all the same. I'm going to try a little jacket next.
      Hand knits for babies are just so gorgeous, aren't they? xx

      Delete
  4. Lovely little cardi and will be a special gift once baby has arrived. I’ve decided on bamboo needles for my re-entry to sock knitting and they should arrive later today. Happy crocheting! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope they like it - I'm sure they will.
      Bamboo is very comfortable, I think. Happy sock knitting to you. xx

      Delete
  5. You have had some lovely garden happys recently. The mint is looking good and as for the sweetcorn what can I say. Such a good harvest success.
    The little knitted jacket is gorgeous. Great to learn something new.
    Have a great day and enjoy the weather Joy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like learning new things and working out what you can and can't do. All great fun. Thanks. xx

      Delete
  6. What a lovely cardi. I love the colours. That corn looks lovely. It is really good when it is fresh. Husband bought some from our local shop over the weekend and it was lovely - so crisp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon. I just happened to have the yarns in the cupboards - pot luck really. solid green would be nice with the multicolour too, I think - or anything that matches really.
      I'm really hoping the corn is as nice as I want it to be. - if you know what I mean!
      xx

      Delete
  7. I love the cardigan and your corn looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Belinda. I enjoyed making it. xx

      Delete