Sunday 21 August 2022

Sunday

 

Today's garden happy - The Last Cucumber.

It's not ready to cut yet but will be on a few days.  The poor plants are in a bad way though - I think the heat or the sun got to them, they seem stressed and, despite feeding and watering, have pretty much turned brown and dead.  The other plant is worse than this one and I think I will have it out today.

After a promising start, the yellow courgette has been disappointing too.  Oh well . . .

On the other hand, I have several corn cobs in the freezer now and the tomatoes have been good.  I've had better tomato years but also worse ones and at least the dry weather has kept any blight at bay.




Good morning, everyone.  The sun is shining already and it looks to be another beautiful summer day.  Yesterday had a high of around 25C and overnight dropped to 12C which is definitely snuggle under the duvet levels.
There's supposed to be another heatwave coming but Beeb doesn't show any signs of this - warm, yes, but nothing touching the thirties.  Personally, I am fine until it gets to above around 32/33, providing the humidity is low.  If there's high humidity, even the low 20s is not nice!

I know it sounds terrible with all this nice weather but, as the days shorten and the evenings draw in sooner, my thoughts turn to Christmas and the various family and personal traditions thereof.  In two month's time, I will have made the cake (or, at least, set the fruit to steep in cointreau - not so far away really.  And I have my Advent calendar on order.

One of my personal things is some Twelve Days of Christmas gifts to myself.  At the Summer wool festival, I got some slightly sparkly sock yarn with the vague thought of making some socks for Christmas.  I think what I will do is make them, wrap them, and they can be one of my Twelve Days gifts to myself. 
I was hoping to have finished the second sock I'm working on and was doing really well yesterday until I spotted a mistake and had to undo almost all of the foot part to sort it out.  So careless of me and very annoying.

I managed to get all the washing, drying and ironing done so I'm happy with that.  I love how nicely everything dries outside and how it smells of sunshine.

Today is another quiet day.  I was thinking of going swimming but, as I'm going tomorrow, I won't today.  What I do need to do is go shopping as there are some items I thought I had but don't, or have just used them up, so I'm going to go to Sainsbury's so I can top up with petrol at the same time.  I'll get there for ten, before it gets too crowded.

Assuming it isn't too hot, I might take a stroll out along one of the country lanes to see the damage the fire did and I'll take a poly bag with me in case there are any blackberries in the hedgerow.

Apart from that, there are my meals to cook, clothes to put away and a kitchen to keep clean and tidy - cooking does generate a lot of mess at times!
Just a normal quiet day in the life of a retired teacher, in fact.  Nice.

Have a lovely day packed with good things, everyone.  xx

16 comments:

  1. You've just reminded me about your twelve days of Christmas. I'm going to do that too and I'm quite excited about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gets me excited too. It gives a sparkly feeling inside of me and, while I don't forget what I've got, I do forget the order I give them so it's half a surprise! I'd like to get them done and wrapped by mid November, hopefully. The Christmas stuff is well in the shops by then. xx

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah Christmas in the stores starts here early. I have not been out shopping yet, but I would not be surprised to see a few things now, especially in the "dollar" stores where people swarm like crazy. Hallmark stores preview their upcoming Christmas ornaments in July. I also watch their Christmas in July movies - even my husband will semi-watch.

      Delete
    3. I've seen a few bits and bobs but nothing all that exciting yet. I give it a month round here. :-) I wonder if your dollar stores are like our Pound Shops? Everything is pretty much the same price - or used to be, they're not so much now with all the price increases. xx

      Delete
  2. Lovely idea about the 12 days of Christmas. I made an advent calendar for us a couple of years ago-lots of little boxes and we do reverse advent for the foodbank. Just done our online food order so need a lie down in a darkened room! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel for you. I'm just back and need a strong coffee to recover with before I sort it all out. It didn't help that it included meat!
      Reverse Advent for the food bank is lovely - I really must get that organised too - in my mind, anyway. xx

      Delete
  3. I've made a start on my Twelve Days of Christmas gifts as well. I've been looking for ideas on and off all year and so far have bought five of them.

    My SimplyCook box arrived yesterday as well. Great minds think alike as I have also chosen the penne alla rustica (but will be swapping out the cream!).

    Hope you're successful on your blackberry hunt. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - yogurt every time. You just have to be careful to keep it under boiling.
      Five, eh? You're doing better than I - I have two so far. xx

      Delete
  4. Lovely plans, although I do struggle a bit with Christmas forward planning and always regret not being a little more organised.
    If that had been me with the sock I would have thrown it out of the window!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't think I wasn't tempted . . . ;-)
      xx

      Delete
  5. Last Christmas I purchased a Jacquie Lawson virtual advent calendar and I LOVED it. I will definitely by doing another this year. So full of Christmas joy and cute things. I looked forward to it every morning. Last year it had a London theme. I just looked at her website and I don't see the new one yet, but I see she has a cute Country Cottage app which I am tempted to get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. I've had one every year and they are just lovely. Each December Day starts with Jacquie Lawson . . . xx

      Delete
  6. Your Twelve Days of Christmas was a brilliant idea last year. I think you should start now in getting some things wrapped and put away so that they will be a bit of a surprise for this year. In other words ... get knitting!!

    I used my advent calendar to pack away the Christmas tree decorations last year so this year the tree will only have one decoration a day added to it as I unpack the calendar each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have! :-)
      I love your bauble idea - brilliant. xx

      Delete
  7. Nice cucumber! I’ve not thought about Christmas too much this summer, but I do know it will be here before we know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one of the certainties of life :-) xx

      Delete