Thursday 11 August 2022

Thursday

 No garden happy today, a craft happy instead.  I've finished the practice blanket.  It was hard to photo and I couldn't get the sides straight - they are just too soft.  However, I noticed that Diana, the creator, didn't get her sides absolutely straight in the book either so that's OK!

Phew - there's a fair bit of learning in this effort.

No, it's not brilliant.  For a start, I didn't use the same type of yarn throughout and that makes a difference.  Also, the colours are not amazing.

I need to focus on my tension - it's a bit loose, I think.  I've never done much crochet, focusing on knitting instead; my knitting tension is fine.

And when it says something like 'mark every seventeenth row' - DO IT.  Don't assume it is not strictly speaking necessary.  It is!!

However, it's soft and snuggly, definitely cot sized so usefully substantial, and I will be so pleased to wrap it in a bin bag and pop it in the Sally Army recycling so it can go to a family that needs it.  That makes me happy.



These are the 'real' colours.  Aren't they lovely?  I will get great pleasure from working with them and, fingers crossed, won't make the mistakes that I doubt you can see but I know are there.
And, fingers crossed, the granny square joining will be loads better too.  :-)







Good morning, everyone.  It's a deceptively cool-ish, slightly misty start to the day.  Mornings are starting to have quite an autumnal vibe to them.  I don't kid myself that it will stay cool for long - the forecast is for plus 30C temperatures for the four three days so it's back to closed curtains and fans on.
It doesn't look anything like as uncomfortable as the last very hot spell when the temperature hit 40C so no complaints from me!

Yesterday, I went to the circuits class and thoroughly enjoyed myself.  The old hip was aching a bit by the end but it is fine today.  I was careful, avoided twisting and there were no problems.  Three cheers!

Then I came home and spent the rest of the day in idleness with a bit of work from time to time.  As a result, the blanket got finished.

Today starts with Chris coming over for our usual Thursday coffee and chat and after that I am off to M&S and Aldi.  I have Dave and Anna coming round for supper tomorrow and I need to make some of Delia's vegetarian sausage rolls for our girls' afternoon tea on Saturday so I have some things to get for that plus some fresh fruit and veg.  All being well, I can make the not-sausage rolls and the basis of Friday's main course this afternoon.  The former can go in the freezer unbaked (so I'm making a whole batch) and the latter in the fridge.
I do like to be prepared!

For crafting (which is definitely keeping by brain off food and my fingers out of the cheese box!), I'm going to start the little socks from the pattern Jen sent me, having cleared away the remnants of the blanket project.  I have leftovers of sock yarn in my stash.  Fiddly but fun!

I have washing to do but, as I don't want to set the line up until after our chat (in the garden), I won't put the washing in yet.  If I can get it out around eleven, it will be dry, ironed and away before evening.  It's so lovely to be able to dry things properly outside at the moment.

In between bits of writing this, I've watered the tomatoes, cut off the lower leaves and picked some.  The mist has now burnt off and I noticed that last night went down to around 11C which is nice.  I doubt tonight will be quite so cool.
I'll sign off now, get my second coffee made and do my Facebook duties before starting the day with a quick tidy up.
Have a really good day and stay cool and hydrated.  As Lindsey says, drink more water than you think you need!
xx


Edited to add - Eileen is back.  Yay!!



27 comments:

  1. The blanket is lovely Joy, well done, somebody will be very happy to receive it. And it will look simply gorgeous done in those lovely Stylecraft colours. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they beautiful? I'm glad I bought the pack rather than trying to put my own colours together.
      There's also a rather lovely pastel colour version too and I dithered for ages before deciding - well, a couple of days anyway.
      Thanks, Sooze.
      xx

      Delete
  2. I think the blanket looks fabulous ,well done . I'm sure it will be much appreciated . Its forecast to be a scorcher of a weekend here too it curtains drawn and fans on here too. Hope you have a good day x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane. I';m glad that I can sit and still feel a bit 'productive' on these hot days. xx

      Delete
  3. The blanket looks lovely but will be absolutely gorgeous in the colours that you have. Looking forward to seeing the next one. Well done Joy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hazel. They really are lovely, aren't they? I'm looking forward to getting started.
      xx

      Delete
  4. Your blanket is fab, I'm very impressed as I'd to be able to crochet better. Putting colours together is an art that I don't have! Can't wait to see the next one in those beautiful colours xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ali. It was quite a leap of faith to tackle this project but worth it, I think. Plenty of pointers for improvement, anyway. xx

      Delete
    2. *love* to be able to crochet better!!!!

      Delete
    3. All I can advise is to give it a go, watch some YouTube, try some patterns and you WILL get better, I promise. xx

      Delete
  5. Well done on finishing the practice blanket! The colours for your new one are truly scrumptious and I’ll look forward to seeing it grow. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. They are wonderful, aren't they. I love them. xx

      Delete
  6. The blanket is lovely, Joy. And those colours are gorgeous! I need to get online and order some yarn myself. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the practice blanket, very interesting design and different stitches, looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The practice one looks beautiful. I'd be keeping it to drape over my shoulders or knees as the days shorten and the cold weather creeps back in...... And on an exercise front, I've been trying ' Imis Bigan Yoga' on you tube. I only started last week and can actually fasten my bra without needing an extender. My waist is starting to appear to. I like the sitting exercises cos I'm too bone idle to be jumping up and down :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a though but I already have enough fleeces, lap blankets, etc.
      And well done - that sounds great. xx

      Delete
  9. Well done! The blanket looks amazing and I love the choice of colours for your 'proper' one.

    We discussed hydration in yesterday's nutrition class and the need to be drinking plenty of water in addition to teas and coffees. The most important glass of water is the first one of the day, before you do anything else, to start hydrating your body after a night's sleep. It's especially important for heart health.I hope you had a lovely chat with Chris and have managed to do all your bits and bobs and are now relaxing. Take care and many thanks for the mentions on your blog xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting. I tend to start with coffee - maybe water with a slice of lemon or something would be better.
      It's good to have you back again. xx

      Delete
  10. Beautiful blanket, well done , such patient work. I'm helping my mum in law learn to crochet ( she's 84 ) she's doing so well , I told her that at this rate she'll have a lap blanket made by Christmas! She's already an expert knitter but fancied a change
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for her. It's always fun to try a new thing. xx

      Delete
  11. Great job on to practice blanket. So good to figure out where the issues might develop (because you know they will!) before using your good yarn.

    As suspected, the hearing test on Tuesday revealed the need for two aids. :( About the cost of a nice used car. Told my DH I was going for the ones with all the options--like he does when he buys a car. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) Well, you have a point!! I hope whatever you have will make a huge difference. xx

      Delete
  12. Joy, the blanket is lovely. You did a great job and having figured out the problems will do a bang up job on the next one. I do love the colours you chose.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank very much, Jackie. The made one is colours I had in my stash but the one I am going to make had a kit that went with it, using the colours in the project book.. I checked the prices and it seemed no more expensive than buying the balls separately so, as I loved the colours too, I went for it.
      xx

      Delete
  13. You did a really good job of your 'practice piece' and someone will be thrilled to have that for their baby's cot or pram.

    ReplyDelete