Monday 22 August 2022

Monday

 Good morning, everyone.  It's still pitch black outside and feels nice and cool

I went for my walk and saw the damage left by the fire.  Some people were very, very lucky.

One side of the road - you can see the trench a local; farmer dug to try and contain the flames . . .
. . . and just over the road from that field, a thatched cottage.  Oh, my!
There's a substantial property just behind the trees to the left of this field; the fire was very close - must have been so scary.

I walked along, looking for blackberries.  There were a few but they were hard and dry and not worth the picking.
However, I did find . . .




Damsons!!!  Quite a lot too.  I set to and . . .



. . . damson gin for Christmas gifts!  Cheers.

They're washed and frozen for a while now - I will make the gin over the half term break.  Any sooner and it might not survive until Christmas!


It was a nice walk although I didn't go that far, about an hour all in, including the stopping for photos and the damson picking.

My hip started aching after a while so I didn't push it, but it was very pleasant and I can work on that now to go further.

Today, Monday, is as Monday's usually are.
I might or might not go to Lathcoat's - they have plums to pick and they have their own early apples in the shop.  Not that I am short on apples but - you know . . .

Later on, it is circuits at Lindsey's and I hope to go for a swim afterwards, to stretch and cool down.  Sounds nice, doesn't it?

It's just getting light now and I've done the morning tomato pick.  It's slowing down a bit now and some plants are nearly cropped out while others are still going strong.  I will miss them when they finally stop.
Better stop rambling and get onto Facebook and do my admin stuff there.  Take care, everyone, and have a lovely day, whatever the weather.  xx







16 comments:

  1. Those photos of the fire are very scary and hope rain comes soon to revive the fields. I found loads of brambles on my walk yesterday but they are beside the railway line and on a busy road so I didn’t pick any! Think I need to plan my crafting workshops as they start at the beginning of September. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the edges (where I could see) there were tiny little green shoots emerging; I forgot to mention that. Can't keep nature down for long, thank goodness.

      Delete
  2. Those damsons were a good find. I love free foraged fruit and the trees here are dripping with all manner of goodies. That fire damage looks pretty blimmin terrifying. Glad it was soon under control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weren't they just! I actually found the tree last year but thought they might have all gone by now - I was looking for blackberries really. However, they didn't look picked at all -maybe people don't know.
      I left plenty for others, and there were loads a bit higher that a walking cane could have hooked down. xx

      Delete
  3. The photos of the fire are scary, all a bit too close for comfort. I'm so glad the firemen were able to put it out without any damage to buildings and especially to people.

    I hope your hip settles down soon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed, it could have been so, so much worse. We're very lucky.
      And thanks. I think it's at the point where I need to push on through rather than resting it - I think one can tell. xx

      Delete
  4. Hello Joy. After a week away from home I have lots of blogging friends to catch up with so here I am.
    That fire at Broomfield looked awful. Hubby knows the area well. Very scary if you are living that close and then there is the lingering smell. My thoughts are with everybody it affected.
    The socks are very cute. I don't think I have the patience for the fiddly work and I am still to master the four pins. Ah well maybe one day :-)
    Damson gin now there is a nice thought and a delicious way to use up the fruit. Cheers xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping you had a lovely time away.
      Yes, it was scary although I wasn't aware until the worst was over. It's the 'what might have been . . .
      I made some Damson gin two years ago and the girls loved it and still talk about it now. So that's their Christmas pressie this year, with some nice tonic to go with it. :-) xx

      Delete
  5. These fires have been very scary for so many people haven't they. And I've seen first-hand what can happen when thatch catches alight, it's a terrifying slow burn that is almost impossible to put out.

    Lucky you finding Damsons, I used to love making Damson Gin and Damson Gin Jam. Alan prefers the jam to the drink ... a good excuse to have alcohol for breakfast if ever there was one! And the year I was determined not to waste a single thing and fed the Damson stones to the pigs I had some very happy snoring piggies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never have but I can imagine. I wonder if they doused the roof in water from their hoses - that would make sense.

      Damson gin jam - is that made with the fruit after the mixture has been strained? I rather like the sound of that. xx

      Delete
    2. They do a steady stream of water on the roof while the owners remove anything from the ground floor of the house that they can, until a certain point then that's it and it's just step back and continue trying to extinguish the flames and smoulders. It took almost a full day to put out our neighbours cottage fire when we lived in Oxford. The house was a complete write off, she was so scared after it that they wanted to rebuild with a slate roof which they were refused permission to do, so they took the insurance pay-out and left the village. It was a sad day.

      Delete
    3. Sorry I meant to add yes, just use the fruit to make a jam or jelly in the usual way after it has been soaking in the alcohol. I once forgot some Damsons in their gin for over a year ... it turned out almost like a liqueur and the jam was to die for!!

      Delete
    4. Friends of mine use the fruit to make an alcoholic damson crumble which is fabulous

      Delete
    5. What a tragedy for your friend, losing her home like that. I guess she would have felt so very unsafe afterwards. Surely a slate roof is better than a ruined building.
      Thanks for the tip about the jam. I've never used them for making anything although I remember Dad used strawberry strainings to make an amazing trifle for Christmas. Damson gin and damson gin jam would make a super gift.
      And that crumble sounds so good, Karen, thanks. I have to make more so that I have enough left to make both jam and crumble, don't I? :-)
      xx

      Delete
  6. Scary about the fires. Damson gin - there will be some lucky people at Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really lovely, Sharon. A bit different, I think. Quite strong too! I also found a recipe for Christmas gin - made, I think, with cranberries and spices. It did sounds nice. Maybe I will give it a go although there is a limit to the amount of gin I can actually give out or consume myself! xx

      Delete