Tuesday 16 February 2021

Tuesday

 Good morning, everyone.  It's so nice to wake up early to a house that doesn't feel a bit chilly.  I'm definitely counting that as a positive after a trip to the shed to get out the day's supplies!

Yesterday turned out to be a most satisfying day - good and active in the morning and much more gentle in the afternoon.  Surprisingly, I am not suffering at all after yesterday's digging, bending and stretching.  That's the first time in forever and I guess I must be a fair bit fitter now than I was last year at this time.

I had intended to go back to the allotment today but I've checked the forecast and it is rain, drizzle, drizzle and rain for a few days to come.  However, the weekend and into next week looks much more promising and, as it's so very muddy there right now, I'm leaving it for a few days.  There's plenty of time although I would like to get some early broad beans in soon - it should have been January really.

Apart from the usual digging, weeding, etc, the next biggie down there is the shed.  It's in a bad state. especially after having branches leaning on it all winter and could do with replacing.  Personally, I'd like a bigger one, but Beth assures me that there's a limit to size so we'll have to stick with the size we already have and, maybe, one of those storage chests beside in.  It seems daft that that's allowed but not a bigger shed although, presumably, it is to stop people turning it into a 'garden room' kind of facility.

We've decided to give wood a miss and are going for a sturdy plastic construction that won't need constant attention and treatment.  Jeff has said that he will take the old one down, dispose of it and, with help from me, put the new one up so all we have to do is choose something and order it.

Yesterday afternoon, it was a struggle not to fall asleep.  You know what it's like - waves of drowsiness sweep over you and the eyes close irresistibly.  I'm trying not to doze off during the day at the moment so I fought and won!  Consequently, I had a great night's sleep.

Today, there isn't much in the diary.  I have my Tuesday chat with Dad which I'm very much looking forward to, and that's about it seeing as I did the weekly shop yesterday.  There's always housework, of course, almost always ironing, and, if it's not very wet, I might deal with some hopefully emerging weeds in the little front strip.  The bulbs are coming up well and it should be a picture in a month or so.  Nicer for the neighbours than for me as I can't actually see it from the kitchen.  All my other downstairs windows look out onto the back garden.

I can see that a regular thing for the next several weeks maybe, is checking the vaccination web site for somewhere local.  At the moment, all that's coming up is places twenty miles or so away which is stupid as I know that there are centres very local to here.   Oh well, if I don't find something suitable, I'll be contacted by my surgery at some point and, seeing as I won't be changing my behaviour anyway, I can wait.
(I suppose I might ask Beth to help me with a phone call but I'd rather not - she's very busy).

Having taken several paragraphs to say not very much at all, I'd better stop now.  Have a super day and stay safe and dry.  xx

10 comments:

  1. Yesterday was a grey day literally and it was overcast and dark there in the distance. It had rained the night before. Very thankful for the rain though hopefully our new park will start looking green soon at present it is a patchy brown and sad looking. Today the sun has returned and the gardeners are there in the park looking busy. They (council) call it a boulevard but it looks like a park to me and the rest of the neighbours call it park...so park it is :-) As for vaccination I have recently checked on the webpage and our age group wont be getting our vaccination until June. There was a big delay as supplies were cut short at the end of January. Your comments on your garden and allotment have reminded me that I need to tackle my balcony garden (pots) which is looking a mess. I am thinking beginning of March for that. Housework yes always housework....ignoring it doesn't mean it will go away so I suppose I'll have to stop this chit chat and get on with it LOL! Enjoy your day Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A rose by any other name . . .
      Good luck with the balcony pots. I bet they look lovely when they are all planted up.
      Housework - I guess, when there's nothing else to do. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  2. The couple on the next allotment to us didn't have a garden and they would set up their shed with fairy lights and even a portaloo and invite friends on summer evenings for drinks. I thought it was nice for them but lots of people complained and they were told they couldn't do it. I'm looking forward to hearing how yours progresses over the coming months. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. here are some strict rules. Allotments are meant for growing produce - fruit and vegetables and, on ours, some flowers too. I've checked their site and the rule is a 6x4 shed but there seem to be no rules against extra 'cupboard' storage space so that's probably the way we will go. You can ask for permission but if we have a small (and sturdy) shed and some sort of chest, that's fine.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Good lucj getting a convenient location for your jab! My dad organised his online from the national website and was facing a 20 min drive, but before it happened his local surgery got him in 5 minutes from his house, same for my mum except she'd already had the jab before she received her letter, so the local approach looks like the better way to go if you can hold out long enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very much the impression I get too, Chrissie. I am happy to wait - after all, I can't go anywhere or do anything; vaccine or no vaccine, nothing will change. I'm sure I can hold out for more local.
      xx

      Delete
  4. I now have both my vaccination appointments booked, both organised via my GP surgery. The first one is on Thursday and the second on May 6th. I'm glad I waited for the surgery option as it's in town, so only about 10 minutes drive to get there plus easy parking.

    I hope you can get yours sorted soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have one of those plastic sheds now. It's good and sturdy although, unfortunately, it does have the look of a portaloo! 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooops. I might mind that in my garden but at the allotment it doesn't seem nearly so bad. :-)
      xx

      Delete