Monday 8 February 2021

Monday

 Good morning!
Well, I may not have woken to a white blanket yesterday but I certainly did today.  The snow fell continuously all day but it wasn't until the afternoon that it started settling, first in the roofs and leaves, then on the soil and, as the temperature dropped, finally on the concrete.


As you can see, not at all deep, although around here may have had more as does happen on the rare occasions we have snow.  However, it's proper winter even down to the icicles starting to hang from the shed.
It's still snowing but very fine, sand-like grains.

The chat with Beth was really lovely.  We managed to keep going, hardly stopping for breath, for over an hour.  I missed the face to face bit but am, as always, very grateful for modern technology.  It will be a fortnight next Thursday since Al came home and we can do a real face to face, not for any reason of necessity in practical terms but because we can and it's as safe as things are nowadays (and totally within the rules and regulations - for anyone who may be concerned for me  😃😃😃)

Apart from that, it was a quiet and peaceful day.  The bread turned out fine except that - dare I say - I didn't actually like it and I suspect it was underbaked.  I will try again with white flour, half the amount, and see what happens with that.  If I end up now actually liking it, it's not worth the time really.
Oh, and I dropped and smashed my second biggest pyrex bowl that the dough had been in.  I simply missed the edge of the working surface and crash!  That was annoying!  However, Amazon will oblige, I am sure!

Today is more of the same.  It's predicted to remain below freezing all day, it will be icy underfoot so I'm staying in.  There's some clutter from yesterday to clear up, some washing to finish off, etc.  Same old, same old!!  How about you?  xx


15 comments:

  1. Hi Joy, shame about the semi-sourdough! If you're going to use white flour for the next try, then reduce the hydration a little as it absorbs less water, and 75% is quite high. Always worth baking it a bit longer till there's a good brown crust. See here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It said 75% for the white in the recipe which is quite high but on the plus side one hardly has to touch the dough. Definitely the poor baking was one of the problems and totally my fault. As soon as I'm dressed (I'm in pjs at the moment), I will give it another whirl and see.
      Thanks.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Snow looks so pretty but once the photos are taken, I always want it to disappear! Will you still be able to meet up with Beth and Alex if it hangs around until Thursday - I remember you saying she lives on a hill.

    I'm finishing off my meal plan and then rearranging the dining room, ready to start photographing items for sale.

    Hope you have a good day xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does and I will just have to see nearer the time. I'll check with her on Thursday morning, probably, unless there's a general thaw in the mean while. Being in the centre of town, as she is, means it's always a little warmer than on the outskirts where I live.
      It sounds like you're having a good day.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Icy and snowy but hope roads will be cleared
    Going for second vaccine today and hoping
    Plan to do 31st move March...Florida...time to be with other grands...I have isolated one year in March...totally...prayers...stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow - that's quite close now, isn't it. Hoping all goes well for you.
      xx

      Delete
  4. Yes same old same old, just with added snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup - icing on the top. Quite pretty but inconvenient. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  5. Amazon and other internet shops. I wonder how much we will want to go back to 'proper' shopping, once this is all behind us. I know things must move on and things get left behind; that's always been the way. Sad though.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry that your bread did not turn out properly. I do hope the next loaf does as it looked like a very interesting recipe.

    No snow here, just the blasted polar vortex that is bringing temperatures down to -46C with the wind chill. Definitely a day to stay inside.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very definitely. I'm all layered up, the heating is doing its fair share and it's all very snug. Tomorrow's supposed to be even colder round here.
      xx

      Delete
  7. Hi Joy, That's too bad about the Pyrex. I love those; my mom always used them. It's sunny here today, so I enjoyed a walk, did some weeding in the snow patches, and darned my gloves and mittens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sheer carelessness and a silly thing to do. It took ages to clear up too, as you can imagine!
      Your day sounds lovely - very productive and happy.
      xx

      Delete
  8. The garden looks lovely with a dusting of snow. I like it - reassuringly wintry. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. < grin > That's exactly what it was - very apt!
      xx

      Delete