Sunday 7 February 2021

Sunday

 Morning, everyone.  I was really hoping to be able to post a photo of a white blanketed garden this morning but, typical for mid-Essex, not a chance.  It's very cold, there's a biting wind and it is so, so wet!  We've had snow (it's just stopped) but it hasn't settled, not even on roofs and grass.  With the temperature due to drop below freezing and stay there, it's going to be very nasty underfoot so thank goodness I don't have to go anywhere except between shed and house.


One good thing yesterday - my ankle wellies arrived.  That was quick.  I'm really pleased with them and, for now, they are going to stand by the French window that doubles as a back door, ready for journeys out to the shed and back.  Even I won't be wearing my slippers for that just at the moment.







Apart from that and the Saturday shop (which I won't be repeating on a Saturday for some time to come), it was a stay in and keep warm day.  Did I start the washing?  Nope!  What a lazy so-and-so.  I really MUST do it all today.

What I did do was start a cheat's sourdough loaf in Thermione.  Someone posted a link on our local Thermomix group, really easy, trouble free, not relying on a sourdough starter (so not authentic but . . .) and, for Diane and anyone else with a Thermomix, here's the link.
https://www.alycealexandra.com/thermomix/2013/7/23/how-to-make-a-cheats-sourdough?fbclid=IwAR1VrDPhW9rVPy20qO5qo7R8ScxcYK4u7Cbwdg-Rgd7qTN1YJgrjaybzR_Q

Basically, all you do is knead together flour, water, salt and a small amount of yeast (which makes it a total cheat!) for half a minute and then leave it in a bowl for twenty four hours (or less if it's summer).  Then there's minimal shaping before baking.
Mine is half way through and is very active, albeit extremely soft.  However, sourdough is supposed to be very soft so - we will see.  You can see all those lovely bubbles!


So there's that, the washing and this afternoon I will have a catch up chat with Beth on Messenger or Zoom.  I'm looking forward to that very much.  The rest of the time will be taken up with general housework, reading, knitting, telly watching and generally being idle.  The heating is turned up, the coffee is on and, despite the snow which has just started again, very fine flakes not enough to make a snowball let alone a snow man, I am going to have a very pleasant day.

What is it like your way?  Be careful if you have to go out and stay safe and warm.  xx

21 comments:

  1. Just joining you as here in Suffolk the snow started about 7.30 and I can see it laying on my neighbours roof. Another stay in day in the warm xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, it won't be too bad for you. Definitely a day for being thankful and counting our blessings.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the link Joy it is snowing here but it is like fine dust and melts as it hits the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto, just like dust or grains of sand although, looking out, it is starting to settle on the shed, roofs and soil just a bit. Nowhere enough to delight any child's heart though.
      xx

      Delete
  3. I've turned the heating up by a couple of degrees and brought in extra wood yesterday and here its snowing and blowing, teeny wet flakes but making a white carpet.Won't need to step outside the door all day!
    I have short welly-boots too as find tall ones much too heavy, Hate wearing them though. I prefer my crocks - but perhaps not in snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not crocs today!!!!
      It's supposed to snow all day and into tomorrow so your preparations won't be in vain, I'm sure. I brought the snow spade from the garage to outside the back door, just in case. I guess better safe than sorry but the chances are it won't be needed.
      xx

      Delete
  4. Fingers crossed and yes, I love the boots already. I can see they will be used a lot.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The no-knead bread recipe is great and it never fails. I attempted the sourdough starter again recently and once more, even after a promising start, it turned to sludge, so from now on I'll just stick to what I know :)
    The short wellies are great. I could use some like that for in the garden. They would, however, be of little use in the fields here. The mud is soooo deep! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just come out and I have to say it looks the best semi sour dough I have ever managed to make and it all worked.
      I did uym and ah about spooning off a bit of the dough for use as a starter but in the end I didn't, not this time.
      I'd like to try a white next time (this one was wholemeal) and I will do half quantities more or less. The hydration is 75% so I can work it out for any amount of flour.
      I'm looking forward to cutting and tasting later on although most of it is destined for the freezer!
      xx

      Delete
  6. Yes definitely a stay indoors day today! Hope you enjoy your plans. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's all going well so far, thankfully.
      xx

      Delete
  7. Hello Joy,

    No snow at all in Budapest although we hear of heavy snowfalls in the Hungarian countryside.

    How the climate has changed here. Years ago, many days of sub-zero temperatures and deep snow drifts were the order of the day. Now, just damp and fog and wall to wall greyness. A worrying change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is, I agree. It's always been a less-snow area here but it's even less nowadays *apart from today - Monday, that is!)
      xx

      Delete
  8. Very cold and grey here in North Wales but no snow.Oh for some sunny days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monday: we're supposed to get some sun today - it will be dazzling.
      xx

      Delete
  9. There's no sign of our promised snow but it's bitterly cold and definitely an indoor day. A couple more HP films are on the agenda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better late than never, I guess. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  10. It's really cold here -11C today. The lake is finally beginning to freeze! It's been snowing on and off. The roads are pretty lousy as it's too cold for the salt to work. Sigh. My sister in Ipswich says they have snow and it has laid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think of you and other readers when I mutter about 'cold' or 'freezing' because, to you, it must seem very moderate. It's what we're used to, I guess.
      Too cold for the salt to work is something we rarely get here. Brrrrr
      xx

      Delete
  11. No snow here, but with a high of only -29C and a wind that makes it feel like -36C I am staying in. I only pulled out the recycling as that is picked up tomorrow.

    Love your ankle wellies. The colour is very pretty.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my word. Now that really IS cold. it puts our little 'below freezing for a few days' into perspective. Stay warm and safe. xx

      Delete