Monday 22 February 2021

Monday

 Good morning.  It's another fine start to the day and I have resumed my non-winter habit of taking an early morning saunter around the 'estate'!  The daffs are now starting to open although the hyacinths are later than usual, I think.  The weeds are starting to come up around the paving so I need to get scraping again!

Today ended up a lovely, lovely day.  The morning was busy with washing/meal prep/etc before I picked Beth and Alex up at twelve thirty and the rest of the day just flew past.

Beth and I had a good planning session over the seeds and decided where everything is going to go this year.  I need to draw up a plan/diagram so I don't forget and, before anything much can go in, I need to do some hard work on the remaining beds.  The broad beans can go in this week because I've done that bed, although I wonder if I might go over it with the electric rotavator.  It's not a heavy thing but it should break the top soil up a bit more.

Today is another busy day.  Beth and Al are still here but Beth will be going home after work and I will take her to pick up her car which should be ready later on today.
I'm doing an early morning shop in about twenty minutes or so and will stop off at Homebase on the way home in case they have seed potatoes because we ought to get them started.
Then I will go down the allotment and put in an hour or so digging, weeding and muck spreading.

The afternoon is free but I will need to tiptoe around because Beth and Alex will both be working (that's why they are staying here - their internet is on the blink).  I'll probably give the kitchen a good sort-out.

If I'm to be at the shops when they open, I need to get started.  Have a good day, be safe and enjoy the fine weather (assuming you get some)  xx

13 comments:

  1. It really is exciting when the planting starts! Hope it all goes well and the weather stays fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, it is cheering, isn't it?
      xx

      Delete
  2. I'm missing not being able to make any early growing plans.
    Good luck with the muck spreading etc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine you are. It's been such a big part of your life for so long. However, I'm sure there will be compensations. xx

      Delete
  3. Hope you were able to get your seed potatoes when you were out and that you are able to get some things done on the allotment. Enjoy the rest of your day Joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid not - there were none of the kind we want (Charlotte) in Homebase. But I get to the allotment! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  4. It's nice planning out the planting isn't it, and I don't know about how it is where you are but here we have blue skies and sunshine, which makes the urge to think of planting even stronger.

    I have to hold off for a while this year as the place I'm buying has had the front and back gardens paved over. The front for parking, which we will keep to give us each a parking place and the back for convenience. My main planning as soon as we have the keys to our respective parts of the property will be to see which of the paving stones will be lifted to give me beds to plant in ... and for the dogs to 'use' ... YUK but necessary!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was dull today but the longer days and the warmer temperatures get the fingers turning green, that's for sure.
      xx

      Delete
  5. You sound much brighter today which is lovely. I can hear your excitement about the imminent planting but don't envy all the ground prep you need to do to be ready. I hope you managed to get some seed potatoes when you were out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel a lot more me again. Positive and cheerful, thank goodness. I didn't, not at Homebase, anyway, but there are other routes!
      xx

      Delete
  6. I have done, thanks, Laurie.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow - how exciting that things are starting to grow. I can't wait for that! I think - think - I might plant some flowers this year. I could do with a bit of colour and I imagine the birds and butterflies might enjoy them too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We've had some sunshine here, and I've been really enjoying it. Your gardening sounds inspiring. I need to get out there and dig up weeds, too. It's exciting to think of the bulbs that will be pushing their way through the soil soon.

    ReplyDelete