Saturday 27 February 2021

Saturday

 Good morning, everyone.  It's another cold and frosty start to the day but, if it's anything like yesterday, it will end up glorious.  It wasn't exactly warm yesterday but the bright sunshine made it feel warmer than perhaps it was.  Down the allotment, working hard, it was very pleasant indeed.

I'm looking forward to an easier day today after a very busy Wednesday and Thursday and a semi-busy Friday.

I got an early morning shop done and everything sorted out and put away before having a nice chat with Jackie.  We both expressed a hope of meeting up in her garden or mine as soon as ever we can.  I think she's finding lockdown harder than I am; she's much more sociable than I and by that I mean she enjoys being with lots of people and is more of an extrovert.

After lunch I went to the second garden and got on with some more digging and clearing.  There were some weeds daring to show in the first bed I had cleared so I dealt with them first before carrying on with the one I'm half way through.  Nearly finished now; it will all be done by Monday and then I can start tackling the weeds that have grown over the ground cover and chippings under the tree and around the raised beds.
And sow the broad beans - exciting!

I arrived back home while the cleaners were still working so I disappeared upstairs to watch some YouTube on my tablet and pretty much fell asleep in the warmth of my bedroom.
And that was yesterday!

Today I plan an easy start to the day.  I've woken early so have done a bit of meal prepping.  I plan to take the mower to the allotment this morning and to get that grass cut on the highest setting.  Then the next time I'll set the blades lower and so on.  It's not a great surface, very lumpy and bumpy from badgers and whatever digging holes but it looks better when mown and it's a useful standing spot for the car/s as the actual car space is diagonally right the other side of the whole area.  Not great when you have tools to carry or push.
Once that's done, it will be back to the usual forking and weeding.  What I do is turn over an area with the fork, then get down on hands and knees and clear the weeds by hand.  It's a bit slow and laborious but it works and is far easier on the old back that bending over to pick up the weeds.

Once that's done, I will take the rest of the day easy and get on with finishing the hexagon blanket.  I got distracted by the other one which is now finished and which has turned out really nicely.  I'll take a photo today, if I remember.  I also have some washing and ironing so I'll probably go on with that while watching Deep Space Nine on Netflix (I've finished Voyager - yes, they got home but the last few episodes were, I thought, rather silly).

So a much easier and quieter day today and I'm looking forward to it.  Have a good day yourself and stay safe.  xx



9 comments:

  1. Have a lovely day doesn't the sun make a difference it is no wonder that many cultures used to worship the sun. Life is better with sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. You can understand the panic during an eclipse too. You have a great day as well. xx

      Delete
  2. I'm starting to wake earlier each morning and it's lovely to see daylight coming through the window. Another month and it will be full on gardening weather won't it. It will be lovely to watch as you grow and harvest your allotment this year, I'm really looking forward to the success and failures... all gardens have some things that just don't want to grow don't they..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do, indeed. A shame it is never weeds though!! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  3. The weather looks promising and it sounds like you have a lovely day planned. I'm looking forward to seeing photographs of your allotment as everything begins to grow again. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am sure you will. < grin > The sun is trying to break through now. xx

      Delete
  4. What sort of th8ings do you grow in your season, Laurie?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we're all starting to feel better now the warmer days are with us. You've been busy again but you sound happy and not overwhelmed by it all, and I love reading all about your allotment plans and progress so long may it continue. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely feeling much more myself again now, thanks. Pottering in the allotment may be hard work but it's also happy, at-my-own-pace stuff with very little pressure. Just what was needed!
      xx

      Delete