Monday 15 February 2021

Monday

 Good morning (just), everyone.  Apologies for the lateness of this blog but it's been a busy morning.  

It may be damp outside but it is also mild.  The car thermometer said 10C - quite a contrast!  All the snow has gone and the snowdrops seem to have come on well in the bitter cold.

First thing this morning I did a shop - the usual M&S for fruit and veg and a few other things and then across to Aldi for the rest.  That's all done for a week or so now, thankfully.

There was just time to get the shopping unloaded and the freezer stuff into the freezer before I had to dash out again to meet Jeff at the allotment so he could prune the big tree at the back and two of our small fruit trees.
Despite the lack of TLC last autumn and through winter, it's not looking that bad.  Plenty of weeds, of course, but nothing awful and anything left on the ground had rotted down nicely.
While Jeff was doing the lopping and pruning, I pruned the raspberries and started some digging.  Of course, everything is extremely waterlogged so it was slow and heavy work but I got some done so that's good.  I expect my arms and back will be killing me tomorrow but not to worry.
The enthusiasm and motivation is stirring - I can feel it - and it won't be many days before I am back there, weather permitting, to get on with the work and, probably, to plant some early broad beans.
No photos; I forgot the camera!

So it's midday and I'm home, absolutely smothered in mud.  The new wellies earned their keep this morning and now need a jolly good clean while my coat and jeans will be in the washing machine as soon as I have finished this.

The yarn I ordered has arrived but, sadly, the blue isn't right.  It's a nice colour but too like the green, darn it.  I will have to take another look for something else.  Perhaps blue isn't right at all.  
So now I have two balls of a rather nice greeny-blue Aran.  Maybe I could make a child's aran jacket - anyone interested?

Well, better stop, get out of my muddy jeans and start that washing.  Then I shall sit down and have a nice hot coffee.  I hope your day is going well.  Stay safe and well.  xx

16 comments:

  1. Must be a great feeling to get back on the allotment. I have got down the 3 steps into my back garden and strolled about for a few minutes and I'm now going for my first walk for about a fortnight down to the river and back. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really lovely, despite the mud!!! Your day sounds great too.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Hello Joy,

    Allotments are such hard work but, oh the sheer joy of picking and eating one's own produce. And, the taste of garden produce brought straight to the table from the ground is incomparable with anything shop bought.

    You must have enjoyed working outside, even in the mud, since it represents the turning of the season and a preparation for better days ahead. Let us hope for a bumper crop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was brilliant, Jane and Lance. I felt amazing when I got home and it was so lovely to be outside and not freezing cold.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Yay, you've made a start ... bet it feels good! I'm glad to hear the new wellies were as good as you hoped they'd be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really were. Of course, they are filthy now and I need to get a plastic tray from the garage so I can put them in the tray when I take them off. The mud would dry faster inside. I'll do that tomorrow - for now, they are in the garage.
      xx

      Delete
  4. All my favourite You Tube gardeners are making a start on sowing veggies. Spring will be here before we know it. A few more weeks and you will be down on that allotment in the fresh air. I am so glad that you mentioned the half wellies as it spurred me on to buy some and they were a Godsend in the garden today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's good, I'm glad you found some. They're so good, I think.
      xx

      Delete
  5. The change in temperature came as quite a shock this morning. Like you, I'm back to wearing my wellies now that the ground has thawed. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so, so muddy but that will dry up soon enough, even with the good old Essex clay we call soil around here. I'll keep treating the soil and one day it will be a bit lighter.
      xx

      Delete
  6. The hot coffee sounds wonderful. Too bad that the yarn wasn't the shade of you you had hoped for...that's the hard part about buying online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was bliss. :-)
      Yes, it's a shame about the yarn but never mind, I am sure I will find some use for it.
      xx

      Delete
  7. How exciting to be back at the allotment. I can imagine it must be wonderful now the weather has improved a bit. We used to have an allotment but stupidly when I as ill I gave it up as I felt so overwhelmed by everything. I wish I had hung on to it now as I have recovered and would love to still have one. Glad your boots were successful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit undertaking, isn't it? Beth and I nearly handed it back at one point but I'm glad we didn't now. It was really nice to be back, especially as it didn't look nearly as messy as I thought it might.
      xx

      Delete
  8. How wonderful to be able to dig in the dirt again. Good that the wellies did a great job. Hope your back and arms don't hurt too much.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - actually, they are fine this morning, much to my relief!
      xx

      Delete