Tuesday 9 February 2021

Tuesday

 Good morning, everyone, and welcome to a very cold and snowy Tuesday morning.  We had more snow; in fact, it didn't stop all day and through the evening until I went to bed although the daytime snow was very light.  There's another weather warning out but it's for north Essex and won't spread as far as down here, I expect.  It's still snowing but the equivalent of very light drizzle, nothing more.

As expected, Amazon did provide a replacement for the smashed bowl although I had to use my measuring jug and the other bowl to check what litre size I wanted.  I was delighted to see that I could get a set of two with lids so I did.  That'll save on the cling film.
They should be arriving today, all being well.

The hexagons are nearly done, I think.  I'm on the last set of five and there's a pile in the ironing board waiting to be pinned and steam pressed, a most tedious activity but essential if I want them all more or less the same shape.  Then I lay them all out and see what arrangement will work best before starting to crochet them together.  I also need to knit the part hexagons for the edges.  Another week or so should do it.

I followed Veronica's advice when attempting another loaf, reducing the water to around 71/72% hydration and that made a more substantial feeling dough which has, nonetheless, risen nicely overnight and which I will bake mid morning, remembering to give it longer than I think it needs.  Underbaked bread is not nice!
Fingers crossed.

The washing also got done and is now dry so ironing is definitely on today's list, as is all the usual stuff.  In the afternoon it's the weekly chat with Dad.  He's very sad right now; one of his lovely neighbours passed away last night, not from Covid-19 though.  She had cancer, it was only diagnosed just before Christmas, I think, and now she is gone.  She and Dad (and Mum too) were great friends ever since they became neighbours and I liked her very much indeed.  However, as they say, a blessed release for her.

That's about it for today.  The snow is falling gently and more heavily than when I started this, the flakes are a bit larger and it is bitingly cold outside but I have been putting on leggings under my jeans and three layers on top and it keeps me cosy warm.  They had it right with long johns in the olden days, for sure!

Take care, stay warm and be safe, everyone.  Have a great day.  xx

18 comments:

  1. It's actually stopped snowing here thank goodness, although still a goodly amount on the ground.So I'm still snow-bound up the end of the lane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the photos on your blog - you've had loads more than us; it must have been pretty heavy at times.
      Take care . . . xx

      Delete
  2. No snow here but two dull days another gale force wind yesterday but better today. We have also had the red dust blowing over from the Sahara which has covered everything inside and out of the flat. Sr P took the car for a wash as it and all the other cars in the parking lot were covered fine red dust. Good really because our car has been screaming out for a good wash for ages ... being Sr P's department he had no excuse to get it done! I used to be a slacks fan but now due to fashion I am a leggings fan; so incredibly comfortable and can look quite urban smart combining with the right garments. Look out for my leggings unite on my next post :-) Hope you have more success with your bread. keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rather like leggings, worn appropriately. In this weather, under jeans is perfect for extra warmth.
      The sand sounds dire. Occasionally we get it blown this way and it messes everything up.
      xx

      Delete
  3. I saw that Lakeland now do compostable cling film.
    https://www.lakeland.co.uk/32670/Lakeland-Compostable-Cling-Film-28cm-x-30m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So they do. Thanks, Annabeth! Good for Lakeland.
      xx

      Delete
  4. I have a couple of pairs of silk long johns and they are a real godsend in the freezing weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silk - that sounds extremely warm and comfortable.
      xx

      Delete
  5. Thankfully there's no snow here yet, just murmurs that it's arriving over the weekend. Have you tried out your new wellies yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed I have and they are great! No going to the shed in slippers in this weather!!
      It's been snowing quite heavily on and off this morning. I can't recall the last time we had such prolonged snow.
      xx

      Delete
  6. I'm another one sat here with leggings under my jeans. Now I just need to invest in some more thicker socks, the thermal ones from last year seem to have gotten thin after lots of washing. I don't think I'd wear leggings on their own out to the shops or even dog walking but under jeans I am happy. The silk long johns, mentioned by Diane sound wonderful don't they, I might have to invest in a pair or two and you can get long sleeved tops too. Anything to be cosy and much cheaper than turning the heating up for a long period!!

    Our snow has all morphed into ice overnight so it's treacherous underfoot at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do sound lovely. I have plenty of T shirts I can wear under my jumpers and they work a treat but silk does sounds very 'thermal'.
      It's snowed here all morning but it's melting on the pathways and paving so must be a degree of so up from earlier and from yesterday. No complaints. It's easier to get out and about right now.
      xx

      Delete
  7. That semi-sourdough bread sounds gorgeous, I do love sourdough. We've had a tiny flurry of very fine flakes of snow, but it didn't settle, thankfully. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it will be lovely - when I can get it right. Mind you, today's worked out fine but white. Now I have to experiment with the balance for wholemeal.
      We've had quite a lot of snow today but it's warmed up just enough not to settle except on the grass, etc.
      xx

      Delete
  8. We've had a lot of snow so I haven't been out at all, lots to do indoors, now moving paperwork and emails.. Our move is exciting but a bit scary too, its a lot smaller than here altho the main living room is a really good size. Lots to do there, but we'll cope and just supervise work men!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Change can be scary, can't it? I know you will cope - more than cope - and it will be so very worth it once it's all done and sorted.
      xx

      Delete
  9. Sounds as if you are prepared for the cold and snow.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow didn't really come in the end but I was nice and warm all day so9 no complaints!
      xx

      Delete