Saturday 13 February 2021

Saturday

 Good morning, everyone.  It's still very cold, the snow is hard frozen on the flower beds and the grass and is lingering in the guttering but it's not cold enough to give my boiler any more nervous breakdowns, thankfully!  It looks as if it will be a bright enough day, although Beeb says it won't get up to zero.  Tomorrow, back into positives by the looks of it, will feel pretty warm in comparison and that will probably be the end of winter around here!

After careful consideration of my yarn and knitting up swatches, I have discarded two of the possible yarns as too chunky although one more, the pink one in the photo, knits just like the real arans so that's in.  I discarded one ball of Aran as not quite the right colour although it is lovely and, as it's quite a soft ball, I might make a child's something or other at some point.
Having decided that, I needed one more colour so I went onto Deramore's and found a blue that I think will go.  It's called storm blue and it's a sort of bluey-greeny-grey colour that I think will go nicely.  I also found more of the same shade of cream which I needed.  A different dye lot, obviously, but as long as I keep the two apart. it will be fine.  I now have the choice of doing the border in either the cream as per the pattern or the green which is the same yarn as some cushions.  I won't decide that until  I've got all the squares fitted together.


Here's the colours I have.  The 'blue' second from the left is actually not blue at all, it's much more lilac-y than it looks there and is a sort of 'tweedy' mixture.  I think I'd really prefer the red to be a little darker but I have a huge ball of it, 400g, plus a smaller ball, and I'm not wasting it - the point is to use up stash, after all.
I think it will be a very nice effect when all done, brighter than the original, and very satisfying to knit.  Depending on how much I have left of each colour, I might be able to make some cushion covers by either piecing together nine of the squares or taking each pattern and enlarging it.
Plans, plans, plans!!

Today is a day in.  No chats, no visiting, not a lot of housework, so I am planning a lazy day with, maybe, a walk later on.  I can knit, crochet, read and watch telly.  I'm still working my way through the Voyager episodes although the end much be not too far away - they are now in monthly connection with the Federation via a micro-wormhole created by Barclay.  It was jolly nice to see him and Deanna in a few episodes and, as I've never watched any of these episodes before, it was a big surprise.
(if you don't watch Star Trek, just ignore the above)

Well, it's past eight o'clock (on a cold and frosty morning - cue music) so I'd better stop and get the rest of my updates and regular posts on Facebook done.  Have a lovely day, whatever your plans.  Stay warm, stay safe and be happy.  xx


21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's a lovely stitch, isn't it. L:ike a rib but not a rib. The whole thing is a mixture of pattern and texture. Really interesting, I think.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Oh I love plans too. It really helps in the cold weather I think and definitely at the moment. Have a lovely warm day. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always like a plan, whether or not I actually realise them. As you say, they hold an important place right at the moment, keeping hopes alive.
      xx

      Delete
  3. What a pretty stitch. I am ploughing on with my current embroidery but I have one I like on order which will make things easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice, isn't it. It's not one I've ever tried before.
      I'm glad you have found an embroidery you like more.
      xx

      Delete
  4. Lovely stitch and colours, Joy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sooze. I can see I am going to enjoy making this blanket.
      xx

      Delete
  5. Thanks, Laurie. I rather like the effect too and I think the storm blue will go well with them.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love your colour choices. The blanket will look amazing!

    Enjoy your quiet day xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I am impatient for the blue to arrive and making this will require method and a considerable amount of ticking off on the pattern.
      xx

      Delete
  7. Hope the forecast is right and the weather over here in the East warms up soon as I daren't do any washing as the outlet pipe is probably frozen and I don't want a flood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! Hopefully, that won't be a worry in your new home. It's still cold but it's lost that icy feel here and the snow is no longer light and fluffy but heavy and thawing.
      xx

      Delete
  8. Hello! I've just come across your blog. You sound lovely! I will return. (I'm also a retired teacher.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do like your colour choices for your blanket.The lilac colour fits in really well and makes it that bit different. I saw the pattern you are going to use on a previous post...quite striking. Glad your boiler is behaving :-) keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda. It's a really nice pattern, isn't it, with enough different stitches to keep it from becoming a bore.
      Re the boiler - me too!!! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous stitch and those colours wow. Your blanket is going to be stunning.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I was lucky that so much of what I had in the cupboard matched so nicely, I think. When I've done more of the squares, I'll take some more photos.
      xx

      Delete
  11. I hope you enjoyed your 'lazy' day. Your knitted swatches look great and they're giving me all the cosy feels using that stitch - it looks wonderfully squishy. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly the effect it had on me. A very nice stitch and very easy too.
      xx

      Delete