Tuesday 8 August 2023

Tuesday, 08-08-23

Good morning, everyone!  After a pleasant, sunny day yesterday, today seems to be starting off the same although drizzle and then rain is predicted for this afternoon. 

I feel I can hardly call this Little Runt any more although he's still a lot smaller than Heir (second photo) or Spare (third photo).  All three are giving enough to keep me and friends in courgettes but not an overload - fine by me.

Here's Heir in situ.  I'm going to change the content of this bed next year, once the walls have been repaired and the soil cleared and improved.  The strawberries haven't been great again this year and, what with Lathcoats close by, I hardly need them really.  There used to be tomatoes where the strawberries are until they got blight one year.
Anyway - my idea is that where the strawberries are, I will plant a yellow courgettes and where Heir is, I'm going to try runner beans again.  I used to have runner beans but not for the last three years and I've missed them.  There's room in that bed for a couple of wigwams which will be enough for one.
That's the idea at the moment but it might change.  :-)


Here's Spare, still looking pretty decorative among the bush tomato and black bamboo.

Yesterday didn't start all that well.  I turned up at Specsavers only to be very apologetically informed that my glasses hadn't arrived yet.  Well, they could have told me a bit earlier, maybe.  So now I have to wait for them to contact me, whenever that will be, and make my way back into town to pick them up.  I think I will take the bus - more time consuming but a lot cheaper!

I had a good meander around town though.  I picked up (and paid for!!!) a few sets of pretty earrings for when I can ring the changes and also a nice top from Next, a small, quite pretty backpack handbag thingy which will be nice for the not posh evenings on the cruise and some thin tights for ditto (as well as the posher evenings).
Then I took the scenic route home and stopped at Hobbycraft.

At some point last week, I sorted out what I optimistically call my jewellery box.  It had an awful lot of toot in it which is now goodness knows where after being chucked (It wasn't even worth donating, believe me) and I found a little collection of molto cheapo dangly Christmas earrings on clips that I never really wore because they hurt and I'm a wimp.
So, at Hobbycraft, I got a pack of hooks for pierced ears and a pack of split rings (I think that's what they're called) and yesterday afternoon I pulled the little Christmassy things (Snowmen, Santas, stars, trees, etc) off the clips and fastened them to the hooks using the split rings and now I have a nice little collection of fun earrings to wear in December - you know what I'm like about Christmas!  I can wear them in matching pairs or ring the changes!

I did a bit of weeding and so on before driving over to Lindsey's for personal training which was, as always, really good.

Yesterday was a nice day!

Today starts with Groove (yay) and then I have a list of Things To Do
1.  more weeding
2.  mow 'lawn' (it's shockingly long!)
3.  move stuff from upright to chest - I have more space in the chest freezer and I'm hoping I can pretty much empty the upright by the end of August.
4.  tidy kitchen - there's a lot of stuff that's just sitting on the working space and which needs to be sorted and put away.

That should give me plenty to be getting on with!

Do you have  Little List today?

16 comments:

  1. How inconsiderate of the shop not to let you know so you didn't have a wasted journey. Have a good day working through your list! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that too but there you go. They were apologetic!
      Because of the other purchases, I didn't feel it was that wasted but if I hadn't made those plans, I would not have been very happy. As it is, I love the top and the earrings so - it's OK! xx

      Delete
  2. Very inconsiderate of spec savers - good job you hadn't rescheduled other arrangements to go. My little list (of 3 things) today is to take stuff to charity shop, move a hydrangea plant in the garden currently overshadowed by an enormous geranium and thirdly shorten a skirt for my daughter!
    Suze x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd need a list for them too - lists make me get it done. Little list but not so little things to do. xx

      Delete
  3. There’s no excuse for poor communication in this day and age so that must’ve been very irritating! At least you made the most of your trip!
    My jewellery box needs a re-vamp! I always joke that if we had burglars, they would leave it all behind..in sympathy! I need to have a ruthless hour, sorting through it!
    Have a good day! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROFL - mine wouldn't even register on their 'worth nicking' scale either. Just costume but some of it is quite pretty. Good luck with the sorting out. xx

      Delete
  4. Your courgettes look so healthy. It's funny how some things thrive despite a lack of sun and warmth, while others sulk. x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really weird, I agree. It's the first year I've had much success with yellow courgettes but these look as if they're going to continue for some time to come, fingers crossed. The cucumbers, on the other hand, have stopped flowering for a while but there is one cucumber growing so who knows? Not me. xx

      Delete
  5. You are so enterprising, great idea with the xmas earrings. I've gone off specsavers a bit since they told my elderly mum in law she needed new glasses when she didn't!!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really not good - one doesn't like to argue with the professionals, does one?
      I'm pleased with the festive earrings, even if I can only wear them for a short time. :-) xx

      Delete
  6. It's nice when the plants give you a manageable amount of produce isn't it. I'm now getting one courgette and one cucumber every second day, and they are usually big enough to be able to share with Alan if they match up with what he's having for his tea.

    I had no list today, but I did decide as soon as the sun came out to wash both my jackets ready for the colder Autumn days ahead. Alan saw them and washed his dog walking coat too, luckily they are all nearly dry on the line now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain started here about one and continued on and off for the rest of the day. Such a contrast to yesterday (Monday). Tomorrow is supposed to be nice again though. xx

      Delete
  7. Great idea on reusing the Xmas earrings. I am recovering from recent surgery so I have a very small list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishing you a very speedy recovery, Marjorie. Your list needs to consist of rest, sleep, indulge and rest! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  8. Great save on the earrings. I love that Runt is getting so big.

    Really the shop should have phoned and let you know your glasses weren't in yet.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was ridiculously pleased about the earrings. You'd think I was old enough to know better really! :-)
      I think they should have, or texted. However, they didn't so not to worry, I had a good nosey around some shops so that was nice.
      xx

      Delete