Thursday 3 August 2023

Thursday, 03-08-23

 Good morning, everyone.  It's a bit earlier than usual as I woke at stupid o'clock, something I haven't done for a while now.  I hope it's not the start of a waking early pattern, although I know why - I was so shattered yesterday evening that I was in bed and fast asleep ridiculously early.  Maybe, if I can catch a snooze this afternoon, I can last out this evening until a more sensible bedtime.

Yesterday was brilliant and we were so lucky with the weather.  Driving over to Diane's, I went through some really torrential rain and I did wonder . . .  However, her end was pretty dry and, while there were raindrops in the air at times, the only heavy rain we had was while we were in a shop.  Then, just as I hit town coming home, the heavens opened again.  So, so lucky!
Also, no thunder as far as we could tell.
The garden got a really good soaking so that's good.

It was a bit of a spendy day but nothing 'silly' (unless you count the ear piercing!).  We actually started by going into Basildon to the Claire's there and then to visit a shop Diane loves called Fever which sells shoes, bags and jewellery, basically. 
(By the way, thank you to those who commented on Claire's - it was too late but I really appreciate you taking the trouble and, thankfully, my experience was good)
I came away from Claire's with cleaning solution and pretty ear lobes - and it really didn't hurt a bit.  They're still fine this morning.

Anyway - at Fever we both got some earrings and I found a lovely bag in the sale of a style I have been looking for - I love back pack handbags as they leave your hands free and are so comfortable.

After a coffee, Diane directed me to Freeport.  I find Braintree very confusing to drive through although I'm sure I would get used to it if I lived more local.

While there, I did a bit more retail therapy - a couple of what they call 'gin glasses' because I had one that I used a lot (for fizzy drinks, etc, not for gin, I hasten to add) and broke it recently.  As a retail outlet, most things are reduced and these, in Villeroy and Boch, certainly were.  It the Tefal shop I bought saucepans.  I use and love the Ingenio range but my saucepans were very battered after twenty years, pretty much, of use and I had decided to replace them.  Not the handles, not the lids, not the frying pans, they are all fine, just the three saucepans themselves and, in Tefal, there, on the half price table was a set of three pans, no lids, and one handle.  Ooooh, said I, and now they are in my kitchen cupboard!

We tried on clothes, looked at china (Diane got some pasta bowls that she needed in Denby), talked endlessly and had salad and a cold drink at Pret a Manger and it was all just lovely!
Now I have to be a bit frugal for a few weeks but that's OK.

Today is a stay at home day.  I have an online chat with Chris; she's feeling a bit better but is still testing 'vaguely positive' so it's better that we don't meet up.  It's been ages, three weeks, I think, so there's a lot to catch up on.

Around lunch time, Mel is delivering my Avon order (just shampoo and conditioner) and is staying for a little cuppa.

Then this afternoon, Matt the Plumber is here.  I had a really weird experience the other day when both the cold taps in the bathroom started running hot instead of cold.  Downstairs was OK and upstairs righted itself but Matt is coming to just take a look at things.  I suspect he will think it is just me getting old but it wasn't imagination.  Anyway . . . we will see.

And in the rest of the time, I have a SET class to do and a much neglected home to sort out.  I'll be busy but it will be worth it.

What are your plans for today?  xx

16 comments:

  1. Ears pierced....you are getting adventurous, Joy! Will it be belly button piercing and a small tattoo next? (She asks, tongue firmly in cheek!!). Incidentally, I had a belly button piercing and 2 small tattoos as a 50th birthday present to myself, husband said it was my mid-life crisis! Hahaha. I've never heard of hot water coming out of the cold taps, how weird! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not. A, Chance.!!!! :-) Seriously, no, that's it. It will be nice earrings, nothing else.
      Yes, it was weird. I have no idea what happened and it has been fine since so I suspect Matt will think I am just getting old . . . maybe I am? xx

      Delete
  2. So glad you had a positive shopping time at Freeport. The last twice I went Pret A Manger was still under construction, must try it now it's open.

    Yesterday I began decorating the lounge - long overdue. Today I plan to put on the second coat of emulsion and maybe start glossing!

    Make sure you try out your new pans - what will you cook?

    Suze x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely and all the salads looked so very fresh.
      I used one of the new pans to cook my rice yesterday evening and the very battered old ones are now in the bin - they're not even good enough to donate. So they will be used for everything on the hob and some things in the oven too.
      Good luck with the decorating. I hope it all goes really well. What colour?
      xx

      Delete
    2. The focus wall is now grey, I though it may be too dark but it's perfect! The other walls are a neutral shade. My suite is pale grey and goldy (one stripes and one swirls) so it needed to be a bit dramatic! I am thinking of a pop of colour in there now. In the loft I have a pink ceramic vase and matching table lamp (both were destined for a car boot) and one pink cushion so I shall try those. xx

      Delete
    3. That sounds really lovely. xx

      Delete
  3. It sounds like a good day. We had torrential rain yesterday but the predicted thunder didn't happen. x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely day. I'll go back there but not until I have won the lottery or equivalent - :-D
      No thunder here either. They got that wrong.
      xx

      Delete
  4. Yesterday I got my toilet innards replaced as it has been refusing to flush properly for ages, so I bit the bullet and called the plumber. 40 minutes later, £140 lighter and I have a working toilet again ... but it does and always has flushed cold water!! How strange about your taps, but I do believe you, weird things happen all the time to me.

    Brave of you to get your ears pierced, I rarely wear earring these days but I find that whenever I want to I can reopen the holes in them very easily. I did make a note of the new tattooist in town's phone number yesterday, I'm thinking of a posher cover-up for both of my tattoos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch re plumber's bill. I'm hoping Matt won't be too much but it does rather depend on what, if anything, he finds.
      I was a bit nervous, I have to admit, but it really was much easier than I expected. Quieter too. And they still feel fine, they didn't even go red or warmer. All good.
      Good luck with the tattooist's.
      xx.

      Delete
  5. Good for you on the ear piercing, you'll enjoy treating yourself to pretty earrings.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the idea - maybe one pair a month. I bought a couple of dangly ones in Fever but I'd like some pretty stud type earrings. The ones that came with the piercing are sweet but tiny. It will be fun looking.
      I can't have the cheap ones, sadly - they used to inflame my ear lobes when I used them last time.
      xx

      Delete
  6. Okay, you have made me a bit braver on the ear piercing idea. Now just to get the gumption up to have it done.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it differs from place to place and maybe from country to country, I don't know, but honestly, it didn't hurt. I could feel it, of course, but it wasn't painful. I was very pleasantly surprised and I'm so glad I did it. xx

      Delete
  7. Hi Joy, Rachel 28 here, what a great day out! We have a free port up here but sadly the Tefal shop has gone from ours. I got my actifry from there and my optigrill ( posh George Forman type thing ) and an iron. I too need new pans but they have to be induction ones. The ones I like are rolled aluminium Kitchen Aid ones but am saving up to get some! Congratulations on having your ears pierced ! It’s sparked a memory that I will include in my blog today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. < must look up optigrills >
      Good cookware is always pretty costly but I think it is worth it, both in length of 'service' and is pleasure to use. I don't need induction although I think the ones I have are OK, I'm not sure.
      Will pop over and read . . .
      xx

      Delete