Thursday 8 December 2022

Thursday: Blogmas day 8

 Good morning, everyone, and winter has arrived here - it's proper, seriously cold with a good hard frost that is going to look stunning when daylight lands.  Beeb seems to think it will sat around zero all day (which is bloomin' cold for around here) so I may or may not do what I had planned which is a jaunt to Hobbycraft (there is a reason).

As Lindsey had very kindly rescheduled personal training to Friday, I didn't have that yesterday but I did get to M&S and then to Aldi and pretty much sorted the remaining pressies.  There's just a very few more bits and bobs to get and that's all done.  I also stocked up with some fruit and veg again (I get through a lot of fruit and veg) and a few extras for the freezer.  I had decided not to maker bread sauce this year - I'm really the only one who likes it - but M&S had a packet mix so I can just make a small amount for me and save the rest for another day.

Then I came home and, after clearing things away, got a-wrapping and now it's all under the tree.

Later on, Chris and I ventured out into the cold to join some others for a spot of carol singing.  It was done by one of our church groups and was really rather lovely.  There were little goody bags for the children and chocolates for the grown ups and four well known carols plus telling the Christmas story.  Since Covid stopped carol singing, this was the first one I've been to and it was very festive and Christmassy.

Today, I am booked into Lindsey's SET class at 9:15 online, to make up for missing Groove on Tuesday.  I'll do as much as I can before either the coughing starts or it just gets too much.

Straight after that, Chris and I are having an online chat - I don't think I am infectious (contagious?) now but, with a new little grandson around, it's not sensible for her to take any risks so online is the way to go.  Next week, hopefully, she's coming over here and we will have mince pies with our coffee - usually we don't have anything to eat, just coffee.

Then, I will see what the weather is like and, hopefully, take a little trip out to Hobbycraft - I need to match up some yarn.

As well as all that, there's ironing, lots and lots of ironing, because I didn't do it yesterday.  If I don't do it today, there will be more tomorrow and it will start falling out of the ironing basket and that would never do!  Plenty to be getting on with today!


I always put these two pieces of Christmas music together.  Same tune, totally different vibe.

The first is the instrumental version of In Dulci Jubilo from the great Mike Oldfield, very dancy and a favourite with schools for their Christmas shows!


The other is the same melody, given a totally different treatment by Robert Pearsall and performed by Kings.  It's a delight to sing, not too difficult but with plenty of beautiful little melodic hooks to enjoy.  Even for the altos!


There's loads of different versions of this lovely carol out there . . .


16 comments:

  1. This really is the first year that a lot of things are back to normal after all the Covid restrictions isn't it. Carol singing, pantomimes and proper get togethers, it's lovely. You do seem to generate a lot of ironing, you almost make me feel guilty for generating none ... almost!! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol - I don't like not ironing. I get it from my Mum, I reckon! xx

      Delete
  2. Things are sort of back to normal, but not quite here. Hospitals are closing emergency rooms because of the uptick in respiratory virus, Covid cases, and flu cases. Our health system is hitting rock bottom right now, so I am back to wearing a mask when out and about. I notice more are doing so.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes sense, doesn't it? It's not just covid that masks protect from, it's other viruses too. xx

      Delete
  3. How lovely to go carol singing - and another great carol you've linked for us
    Alison in Wales x.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just stood out really, rather than going from house to house, but it was very pleasant indeed. xx

      Delete
  4. I love both versions of this carol so thanks for including both of them in your selection.

    Have you been to Hobbycraft yet? If so, what else jumped into your basket in addition to the yarn you are trying to match? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol - an extra ball of yarn because it was three for two and I needed two so why not? I know what I will do with it. xx

      Delete
  5. Enjoy your mince pies and coffee. Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't understand why you have so much ironing. Last week I had one dish towel, one table mat and two tops that are a bit fussy. Everything else I just hang to dry including sheets and towels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like everything nice and smooth and soft and just air drying doesn't do that. T shirts, in particular, look terrible unless ironed but I iron bedding, tablecloths, etc, too. And hankies!
      xx

      Delete
  7. What is this ironing thing you mention 😀 I love to hear carol singers at this time of year it really sets my festive juices flowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - OK, so I am old fashioned and out of date, but I will continue my ironing!!
      xx

      Delete
  8. The Carol singing sounds lovely. Very festive. I am looking forward to ours next week. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice. Definitely worth getting cold for. xx

      Delete