Saturday 24 December 2022

Saturday: Blogmas day 24

 Good morning, everyone, and welcome to Christmas Eve.  I've had a wakeful night and a very early start but, somehow, it doesn't matter in the least.  I have plenty to do so it's probably just an overactive brain and later on, once everything is done, I will sit, chill and snooze.  And why not?

Yesterday started off with Slimming World group.  During the week, Jen heard that there had been a pretty damaging flood in the Community Centre we usually use (frozen pipes) but she managed to get the other venue she uses, out in Writtle, for a couple of hours so that's where we went.
As I thought, not an awful lot of folk turned up but enough to make it jolly and friendly.  It was just a weigh and go so no second half to wait for but folk stayed and chatted and it was just really pleasant.

The wine saga continues.
I had another email from the company, still very apologetic.  They're obviously keeping a close eye on things, have been in touch with the local depot (Yodel - sigh) and have been 'assured' that it will be loaded and delivered today.
They also said that if it is not actually out for delivery by eleven this morning, they will be refunding me the whole cost of the wine.
You have to laugh and, to be fair, the wine company really are doing everything they can.  It's not their fault.
I will know by midday!

(Edit at 10:40:  it is showing as out for delivery.  Yeehah!!)

Another expected delivery arrived with minimal fuss and bother and that was the turkey.  I just shoved it out in the shed (It's 'cold packed') and will deal with it all today, getting it oven ready and using the giblets plus saved stock to make a nice gravy.  I'm not a posh gravy person - good stock and some bisto is fine by me.  It does mean I have to make some vegetarian friendly gravy for Beth but that's OK, I use the same method but with vegetable stock instead. and I'll make that tomorrow.

Victoria (the flower friend who runs the wreath workshops) brought round a Christmas display I ordered from her.  It's very sweet and pretty and will look really nice on the table.  No photo right now because of the lighting but I will try to remember to take one later.

I had fun in the kitchen, making some fresh pasta - I haven't made fresh pasta for simply ages, but it is easy in Thermione and using the pasta roller is just so relaxing.  Half yesterday and half today and I think I'll be doing this a lot more in the coming months.

Today, because of the super-early start, I think I will get some washing on as soon as I have sent this to make the most of the night time rate.  It also gives it a fighting chance of drying through the day so I can get it away before bedtime.

I have a good, long list of things to do:  make gravy, stuffing and cranberry sauce; washing/drying/ironing; prep turkey and work out timings; prep veg; tidy living room and kitchen; and, finally, make bread? (Yes, the question mark is on my list.)
I'm sure there's more and the list will grow, but none of it is major and by the afternoon I will be pretty much done and dusted and I can sit and relax.

So - washing on, make a coffee and off we go!


It's Christmas Eve so today's music just HAS to be . . . 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNzgeSUB4fk&list=PLjBnYixEZmRcq0fVXKYriOP291zon52Rt&index=4

Not sung by Kings' College Choir this time - we can watch that on Carols from Kings' this evening, but by Libera.

As a little Christmas Gift from me to you, I have put all this year's music into a playlist which I hope you can access and enjoy through the Christmas period.
(I also hope it works - it did last time!)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjBnYixEZmRe0eA8SfgTI92le8VLpJkMd

12 comments:

  1. Morning Joy, Just wishing you and your family a very Happy Christmas and to say a massive thank you for your wonderful blog which brings me inspiration and so much 'Joy'. .Thank you for the fabulous Carol playlist - I will be one of those that will most definitely be using it. God bless you and yours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a lovely thing to say, thank you, Jane. Much appreciated. Also, thank you for all your encouraging comments over the year. xx

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the playlist, I will have it on in the background while I go and sort out a banking error I have just done. I don't think I'm allowed to buy my Christmas shopping with money drawn from the company account ... oops!!

    Hopefully by the time you read this you are the proud owner of a case of wine, fingers crossed.

    Merry Christmas Joy, and thank you for a brilliant year of reading, yet again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, it has just been delivered. Phew - better late than never, definitely!
      Have you managed to sort out the banking thing. As you said, ooops!

      Thank you to you too - I do love reading your blog.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Thank you Joy for sharing life’s adventures with us throughout the year. Best Wishes fir a happy festive season and a lovely day tomorrow with family. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Catriona, that's lovely. The same to you too. xx

      Delete
  4. Enjoy the holiday with your family. Thank you for posting the music list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pleasure and the same back to you, thank you. xx

      Delete
  5. Enjoy the celebrations with your family and friends. I hope you have a fantastic time.

    I'll be watching Carols from Kings ... the official start of Christmas ... and then the Royal Carols later on. Many thanks for the playlist xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought they were both beautiful. Feeling all merry and festive now! :-) xx

      Delete
  6. Have a very Happy Christmas Joy. Thank you for bringing a smile to the day x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. A very happy Christmas to you. xx

      Delete