Sunday 11 December 2022

Sunday: Blogmas day 11

 Morning, everyone.  Today I have woken to a winter wonderland.  No, not snow but it's been a bit foggy overnight (still is) so everything is covered with hoar frost.  I didn't realise there were so many spiders' webs in my garden - so pretty.





BBC reckons that it will stay below freezing all day and there's a chance of snow overnight.  We will see, won't we?

As promised, here's a photo of my front door with the wreath securely tied on. I like it.  


As if to make up for the 'interesting' happenings on Friday, yesterday was a really lovely day.  We went into Writtle for our walk and David took us around some country lanes and through some woodland.  He said it might be a bit muddy but it was too frozen to be any problem and the walk in the frosty sunshine was simply glorious.
As it was the last walk for a while, we booked a table in Robyn's Nest instead of popping into the Writtle tearooms and treated ourselves.  The med had bacon or sausage sandwiches while we ladies went for stilton and walnut scones.  We had to wait because they cook everything fresh but it was worth it.  Rarely have I tasted such a lovely scone - light and fluffy and still steaming from the oven.  Instead of butter, they served it with a generous portion of a home made onion chutney that went perfectly.  It was so good!  Just to cap it all, Mike treated me to mine which was very kind of him and I must remember it's my turn next walk (which probably won't be until January now).

I was pretty chilled when I got home so my first act was to brew a coffee and my second to put on my slippers, wrap up in a fleece and sit by the radiator - and fall asleep!!!

Later on, I looked up the three programmes about Agatha Christie by Lucy Worsley on iPlayer and watched them back to back, enjoying them very much indeed.  Have you seen them?

Today, I need to do all the things I didn't get done yesterday plus the diary tells me that this afternoon I will be marzipanning the Christmas cake.  Nice one!   I might also go out for another frosty walk - yesterday's was so lovely!


I seem to have some problems loading carols the usual way today so I will just post a normal link for you to follow.

In the Bleak Midwinter, sung by the Kings' Choristers and the Kings' Singers.  Normal link and fingers crossed it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTzqMi2AQF8




20 comments:

  1. Can only see one video and that has a 'video unavailable' message.

    We have snow here which was a bit of a shock when I opened the curtains first thing.

    I love your wreathe! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, drat - thanks for letting me know. It was showing OK but now I can see it is unavailable. I'll go and change it.

      Snow, eh? I hope it is not too bad not too inconveniencing. xx

      Delete
    2. It's not too bad at present but it's still snowing! Amy has texted to say the roads are very icy so I can change my session tomorrow if I don't want to drive, which is good of her. xx

      Delete
    3. Having problems uploading carols at the moment. I'll try again later. xx

      Delete
  2. Your wreath looks so festive, just lovely. I've never had a wreath on the front door, maybe now the front of the house is a little fresher, with our nice new door, I could give one a try next year.

    We had a little snow, which is still a rarity here, not much, but the beach looked pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that's kind. It does make the house look festive.
      No snow here but, despite some lovely sunshine, the frost hasn't melted at all. So pretty. xx

      Delete
  3. I have seen some of Lucy Worsley's pieces, the one that riveted me the most is where she examines the history in the UK beginning in Scotland, of the first documented case of witchcraft against a woman, and how women came to be labelled as witches. It is the most interesting historical piece of research Ive heard about women. Well worth a listen. Jean, in Winnipeg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds really interesting, thanks, Jean. xx

      Delete
  4. Nature puts on a wonderful display after an night of frost doesn't she, and your wreath is the perfect compliment to all the twinkly webs and plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you. It's the third year I've done a wreath workshop and if I have learnt anything, it is that there's no right or wrong, it is just what we like.
      But, as you imply, nothing can match nature when it comes to a display. xx

      Delete
  5. I do love a frosted spider's web, they're sooo pretty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The frosted spider webs are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are. I appreciate having the vision to see it. xx

      Delete
  7. That organ is something else. Loved the carol.

    Lots of frost here some mornings and like you I just love how everything is coated and sparkles in the sun.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gives real depth, doesn't it? It underpins the choirboys' voices wonderfully well. xx

      Delete
  8. The wreath is beautiful. So lovely you make it yourself. The scone sounded yummy. Anything aside from boring cheddar (the North American grocery store type not the cheese shop ones) no other cheeses can be found in my part of Canada. I love the carol In the Bleak Midwinter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marjorie. It was very satisfying as many of these things are.
      I think we are lucky in the UK - we have access to so many different cheeses from around the world; it can be hard to choose! xx

      Delete
  9. Beautiful wreath. Beautiful frost. It was so grey and dreary here again today. I am having sunshine withdrawal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been quite sunny here, until yesterday. Generally, in winter it's colder when the sun shines because of the lack of cloud cover. When it clouds over, it warms up a bit. xx

      Delete