Tuesday 25 August 2020

Tuesday

Good morning
It's nearly five and it is pitch black out there - the days are getting noticeably shorter now and I've started drawing the curtains around eight o'clock to shut out the night.  It's raining too - I'm glad I didn't do much yesterday - it would have been wasted effort.

After my garden tomato haul yesterday, I decided I really ought to go to harvest at the allotment, especially as today's forecast wasn't all that encouraging.
So I did and came back with . . .


. . . all of this and
some raspberries (which I forgot to include in the original photo).


So I spent the afternoon dealing with it all.

Some of it is bagged up ready for Beth to pick it up this morning.

I now have four pots of passata and two pots of peeled whole tomatoes in the freezer, gave a bagful to my next door neighbour and have plenty for salads, etc.  And there will be more in a few days, of course.

My share of the runner beans and carrots formed my dinner veg.  The runners are slowing down now and there aren't many flowers, either on the garden plants or down the allotment.  There aren't many carrots left either - I want to plant more next year, start them earlier and do several sowings.

The pears are now wrapped in kitchen towel and laid on a tray.  I will check them once a week and use them as they soften.  Several years ago we forgot to check and, when we did finally look, every single pear was well beyond the point of no return.  Very sad.
There's plenty more to pick too.

The apples, which will need cutting up before eating, will provide snacks and desserts for a week or so and the raspberries will probably go into the freezer.  There's loads more apples but they can stay on the tree for now - they won't hurt.

Today, as already mentioned, the weather forecast isn't great with high winds expected to join the heavy rain so I expect the afternoon will be spend indoors.  Before then, I have a tuition sessions and then aquarobics down the gym.  That'll keep me out of trouble!

Neither Chris or I can make our chat today so it's been scheduled for Friday instead.

So that's today - I'm looking forward to it.  Have a lovey day too and stay safe and well.  xx


18 comments:

  1. What a fantastic haul, Joy! I must think about (well, actually do it!) making passata or pasta sauce for the freezer tomorrow, our toms are coming thick and fast now, along with lots of other stuff. That's the trouble isn't it, it all comes at once and it's a lot of work dealing with it. But I'm so very grateful to have it! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes time, that's for sure, but there is something infinitely satisfying and cheering about dealing with things you have helped to grow and are storing up for what used to be the leaner months. I'm sure there's a sort of wiring inside us that encourages this.
      The main problem now is that I'm pushed for freezer space so must do a clear out. Maybe it is something I could do this afternoon as it's not exactly going to be warm!
      xx

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Aw, thanks. I love free food (even if it isn't free really!)
      xx

      Delete
  3. What a lovely haul makes all the watering digging and weeding worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how I feel too, Diane.
      xx

      Delete
  4. Had to look twice as I thought you'd picked a banana!

    Horrible weather today, August seems to have finished early

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love a banana bush/tree/palm/whatever it is but no, it's an overgrown courgette. It's nasty and I have jeans and a jumper on this morning. The wind is starting to pick up too but at least there's no need to water. Silver linings.
      xx

      Delete
  5. You're going to be a busy bee, but it all looks lovely and worth the effort.

    Have a great day, Joy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) It'll be a nice day, I think, despite the weather. xx

      Delete
  6. Wonderful harvest, everything crisp and fresh and tasty! Fingers crossed the winds will be kind to your area, always worrying when the trees are in full leaf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely fingers crossed. Thanks, Annabeth.
      xx

      Delete
  7. What a gorgeous spread of homegrown fruit and veg!! Delicious. I just wish this heat would drop a little too. It is sad to see our new park so parched and dry. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      It's cooler here today but not cold - not with a nice warm jumper on anyway! Quite windy but not nearly as wet as expected.
      I hope things cool off for you - what a shame about the new park.
      xx

      Delete
  8. Wow! It looks like a harvest festival in your kitchen. All your hard work has paid off. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so satisfying. Very encouraging for future effort.
      xx

      Delete
  9. Wow! That's a fantastic harvest. I am so impressed. Gardening takes a lot of discipline and timing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very satisfying to have the time nowadays. When I was teaching, there was never enough time for much else really.
      xx

      Delete