Tuesday 4 August 2020

Tuesday

Morning, everyone.  It's quite cool outside right at the moment but the forecast is for sunny and warm weather with a gentle breeze which sounds just about perfect to me, it really does.

Yesterday went well - we've decided to put down a raised bed where the strawberries were.  They didn't do all that well;  we had covered the ground and cut holes for the strawberries but the invasive weeds came up through the holes as well.  It was also hard watering effectively and the ground had settled very bumpy.
So what we're doing (or I'm doing) is uncovering the strawberry area, digging it all over (removing any stones/weeds as I do so), tilling it over and getting it as smooth and flat as possible and then re-covering it and putting a raised bed there for the strawberries.  I have to get now plants for my bed at home too so I'll just order extra.  They don't requite deep soil so it should work fairly well as long as we keep the soil fed with organic matter now and again.
Fingers crossed.

So yesterday, I started uncovering that small area and digging it over.  It was as hard as nails and dry as a bone so I gave it a good watering, which helped, and then managed to dig over a small patch.  It didn't look as if I achieved much but, to be fair, it took ages to get the staples out that were fastening it all down and I had to break up huge clods by hand.  On the plus side, apart from where the holes were, the area was weed free.
The edge of the existing cover will be turned under and pegged down again and the new cover will overlap it slightly.  It should make a much better strawberry area, once done, and also look an awful lot nicer..



Jeff came in the afternoon and sorted out my front.  He also tackled the rosemary bush which is almost treelike now.  One branch had completely died off so he had that out and another branch that was crowding the end of the bed.  To be honest, the whole thing needs removing and replacing and I shall take several cuttings to grow on so that I can do just that - or Jeff can do it for me.  He used his heavy duty loppers and garden saw,  tools I don't possess.

Today starts with tuition so no early allotment visit.  I've got the table all set up and ready so no last minute things to do.  That's the last session for a while as first one student, then the other, will be on holiday.  We will resume in September.  It's the same for D, my Wednesday student.  They aren't going away but they're having a Holiday at Home.

Then I have a chat with Chris and, hopefully, it will be fine enough to make it face to face in the garden.

After that I will be heading out allotment way to water, weed and get on with that digging.  I'm hoping the soaking I gave it will have softened things slightly so I can break it all up more easily.

So that's today!  Enjoy your day too and stay safe, especially as things start getting more difficult again.  xx

9 comments:

  1. You've worked hard. I tried growing strawberries in a large trough but they didn't do too well, I discovered, for whatever reason, they produced better from a large plastic pot in a sheltered part of the garden. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. Well, we'll give it a go and see how it pans out.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cold and widdling down here today or I would be out in the garden. Tony is making me a 'gutter garden' with a piece of square guttering and an old pallet. I plan to sow lettuce, basil and mini carrots this year. It will be interesting to see how well it does

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very interesting indeed. I look forward to hearing how it all goes.
      xx

      Delete
  4. Hope all your plans come to fruition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of a raised strawberry bed.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it could work and will look nice - and both Beth and I feel that the look of it is quite important as we sometimes meet there; it's a social place for us both as well as useful.
      xx

      Delete
  6. Yes, I've found that putting membrane down with holes cut for the plants you WANT to come through means that all the neighbourhood weeds make for the holes too!!

    The best way is to do as you say and dig out as many of the weeds as you can, then put a layer or two of membrane down. Use your old holey one first and then a fresh piece on top, then build a raised bed, maybe put a layer of cardboard or newspaper down as a final daylight barrier, and then fill it with compost and soil. The lack of light to any remaining weed roots plus the double barrier usually works a treat.

    ReplyDelete