Monday 31 August 2020

Bank Holiday Monday

Good morning!  Yesterday remained a bit chilly but we had no rain and the breeze gradually died down through the day.  I did turn on the heating in the evening because I was tired and felt cold, but I was being a bit wimpish really.
This morning continues dry and it looks as if we will maybe have some sunshine.  I hope so anyway.

Yesterday was a lazy day, one of those where I am struggling to think what I did really.

At half past ten, I popped out to the shops to get a few items, nothing particularly major, and came back with a lovely fruit bowl.  It's one of those where they have taken a slice of tree trunk and hollowed out the bowl, leaving the back on the outside.  I love wooden things and particularly the more natural looking things and this, in a fairly cheapo shop, called out to me.  I think it looks great filled with fruit and maybe, come Christmas, I can fill it with baubles of some other festive tut!


In the afternoon I went down to take a look at the allotment.  Oh, dear, it really is a mess now.  Those weeds have fought back and the rain has just encouraged them.  The row of runner beans is pretty much over, both productively and physically too.  Most of the tomato plants are leaning over which is my fault as I didn't stake them up properly; next year I will plant them in a block with a sort of cage construction, much more supportive and less inclined to topple.
The courgettes have been a bit disappointing, most of the fruit developing a blossom end rot and although the butternut squash leaves have spread everywhere, the are no signs of any squash!

Having said that, I came home with carrots, little courgettes, plenty of tomatoes, some raspberries and loads of apples and pears.  The pears are all wrapped up in kitchen paper and on a tray to ripen and I will need to check them once a week so that I can get them out as they soften.  The apples are now both tangy and sweet, juicy and delicious.  The raspberries are in the freezer and the tomatoes are on the window ledge and I must process some more for the freezer.  I think the next batch can be chopped tomatoes.

This week is quite busy but I do plan to pop down for the odd hour here and there and start tackling the autumn tidy up.  I can take one little section at a time so it won't feel too daunting.

Today, the page in the diary looks totally full but most of it is where I was working out the timetable for tuition - my new term starts properly next Monday.  The only commitment I have today is a swim at ten so after that I will set to and give the car a good and long overdue clear out.  Goodness knows how long that will take but I will be glad to get it all done.  I wonder where I have put the extension cable so I can sweep the carpets?

No bank holiday outings here but then everyday is a bank holiday nowadays!  I hope you enjoy yours.  xx

8 comments:

  1. Retirement is one eternal holiday in effect but filling the time can difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not such a terrible problem really, is it? There's always something, especially if one likes reading! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  2. So glad the wind and rain of Saturday and Sunday (here) has gone.
    Have a good day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you had it worse than we did here and it was quite enough here. Perhaps, without the wind, it will feel a bit warmer.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous bowl. Definitely good for Christmas...a table centrepiece perhaps! At last,at last. there was a massive downpour here yesterday and the new park in front of my apartment has changed its colours....so wonderful!! The sun is back but it is a tad cooler and everything has been washed clean. Retirement and lots of time...yes there that. keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea - it would look lovely with a red candle in and some leafy stuff around. I must have a good think about that. Thank you.
      I'm glad things have cooled off for you. If you would send a bit of the warmth over here, that would be nice. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  4. I hope you enjoyed your swim and also managed to get the car cleaned out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joy: I like the new bowl you bought! It will look great filled with baubles at Christmas time. I can't believe that tomorrow will be September. Even though we aren't going out and about lots the time still seems to pass quickly! My garden has been a disappointment. Only 3 cucumbers and the rest have withered and died. There were 8 tomatoes growing but a rainstorm knocked the vines over last night and I'm not certain they will survive. Ah well. Life goes on!

    ReplyDelete