Monday 3 August 2020

Monday

Morning, everyone.
To my dismay, when I looked out at five, it was raining and had been for a while, judging by the puddles and the fact that it was wet under the tree.
However, it has now stopped, it is brightening up, the skies are clearing and the forecast is for another lovely day.  Just what the gardener ordered, in fact. 

Yesterday was one of those days that was simply a delight from start to finish.
I got to the allotment at around half eight.  It was warm, quiet, peaceful, the birds were singing their sock off and I felt totally at easy and content with my lot.  I got quite a lot of weeding done, especially the bed containing the corn, runners, potatoes and the dwarf French beans.

When the dwarf beans started emerging, I was disappointed as quite a lot haven't germinated.  However, after digging up and replanting three that had somehow escaped to the side of the bed (how???), it's not too bad.  Yes, there are gaps, but we will get a crop.  By a couple of the canes, two plants are coming up and we can divert one to the nearby empty cane, I guess.  They're growing very quickly now and should crop early September so, Diane, thank you again for the idea.


I came home, made breakfast and enjoyed it outside.

It was an energetic day - I mean I felt energetic so I was.  I changed my sheets, got them washed and on the line (I love the sight of fresh, white bedding drying in the sun), got then in when they had dried (very quickly) and got the ironed straight away.  By bedtime they were back in the bed so I slept in sunshine fresh bedding - another delight.

In the afternoon I set to in my own garden.
The herbs are rather overgrown so I dealt with that.  I chopped the oregano right back to the roots as much as I can.  It's very resilient and already there's new growth.  I cut the chives right down too as it was getting old and tough - that will also grow back quickly.  Finally I pruned the sage where it was crowding the thyme. 
By the end, both the bin and I smelled very aromatic!
The rosemary also needs attention as one of the branches has died but Jeff is coming this afternoon so I will ask him if he can deal with it for me.

I was disappointed in the chillis I planted this year - they are still very small although good and bushy.  Then I noticed that they might be tiny but they are producing.  Weird!  The diddy peppers are yellow at the moment - I wonder what colour they will end up as.


The rest of the day was spent making meals and generally chilling and I slept like a log.


The sunflowers down the allotment are really lovely now.  I must look up how to harvest sunflower seeds.  Anyone know?


Today I shall be at the allotment early again as the rain has stopped and the sun is out.  Earlier in Lockdown, I used to go early and got a lot done that way but then I fell out of the habit.  However, it is a great start to the day so I want to resume the habit as much as I can.  There's more weeding to be done but I think it will be a bit too wet for mowing today - and a bit too early as there are houses around the perimeter.  Maybe tomorrow as I can't go early.

This afternoon, Jeff is coming round to weave his magic on the garden.  The front needs a good tidy up.
Beth is doing the afternoon watering, so that's OK.

It should be another satisfying day - you have a good one too and be safe.  xx

10 comments:

  1. The gardening seems to be going well and I do envy you the rain just what we could do with here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you have had some today. I was certainly pleased,just dismayed that i might spoil my plans. It hasn't however, so that's good.
      xx

      Delete
  2. your day sounded very good.
    Big black clouds around here this morning - not looking good for a sunny day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really lovely day. Hoping you have had some sunshine now.
      xx

      Delete
  3. We had rain overnight as well but it's brightening and should be a nice day. I was out in the garden earlier doing a bit of tidying - you're right, it is a pleasant way to start the day and much more enjoyable before the day starts to get too warm.

    There are some videos on YouTube about harvesting sunflower seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rain is being very accommodating over the last week, with most of the heavy showers being at night. Listening to it thundering down on the roof of the Van is very relaxing somehow, and waking up to a freshly watered garden but lots of sunshine even better.

    You do sound very busy, no wonder you're sleeping so well :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to have ran overnight - great for the garden and great for us - providing it's just at night. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  5. The sunflowers are looking beautiful. I've never had a problem harvesting the seeds, I usually just allow the heads to dry out for a while. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous sunflowers. Love the difference in colours.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete