Sunday 16 August 2020

Sunday

Good morning!
Well, what a day.  It rained on and off for most of the day but in the afternoon we had the heaviest downpour I can remember in a very long while.  Quite dramatic, it was, accompanied by just a few flashes and claps that never developed into anything.

I was mighty thankful that this is not a floody sort of cul de sac - all the water runs off  and even this was nothing more than a large puddle caused because the drain right in the middle of it wasn't doing its job properly.  I shall ask Jeff tomorrow if he does drains and, if not, can he recommend someone.  I don't think it is actually my responsibility but better safe than sorry.


All the extra water ran off, right along my front strip of soil and then over my grass.  No harm done and at least everything has now been thoroughly watered!


I've just gone out with a torch and the puddle has now all drained away, thankfully.

 Earlier, I dodged two heavy showers to go and pick at the allotment because Beth wasn't going.  I got damp but no more and I was lucky because just as I got back in the car, the heavens opened!
I was glad I went because I came back with a nice haul of veg and I picked up some fallen apples to try (they need cutting) and the redlove that I tried was really most acceptable.  A little dry still but very flavoursome.  I might go down later on today, rain permitting, and pick up a few more.

The afternoon was taken up in part with stringing and slicing all the runner beans and I have a nice supply in the freezer now.  I'd already got today's meals sorted but tomorrow I have courgettes, beetroot, baby corn and the ever present tomatoes to use up.

By the evening, I was worn out, went to bed before eight and slept the clock round until nearly four.

This morning I have a swim booked at eight o'clock and then I must do some washing, rain or no rain.  I will dig out the clothes dryer and make use of the tumble dryer for towels, etc.  I need to sort out the kitchen which I left in a bit of a mess yesterday and I have some older veg to use up so I will make my spicy bean and veg soup which is filling and warming.  That's lunches sorted for the first half of next week.

Well, I'd better get the washing started - I can get a load done before I need to leave for my swim and sort out the kitchen as well.  Have a good day and I hope the heavy rain hasn't caused too much trouble for you.

14 comments:

  1. Sorry about the mini flood. We were very lucky we had perfect rain for the garden so as a Gardner you will know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do. It's good to know that everywhere is thoroughly soaked and the plants do look much happier. Rain water is better than tap water anyway.
      xx

      Delete
  2. The plants all improve visibly after rain, don't they? Do you blanch your runner beans before freezing, Joy? Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they do - the plant equivalent of smiling!
      No, I don't. Maybe I ought to but I never have.
      xx

      Delete
  3. I've only just managed to drag myself downstairs (9:20) so you've probably finished your swim and have started on kitchen duties. I hope you enjoyed the swim - was it just as quiet as last time?

    I don't know if the other end of the village is flooded yet but I'm sure it will before the week is out if the forecast is correct. Hopefully the flood plain is coping for now - we had so much rain in such a short time yesterday that the drains were overwhelmed for a while and there were huge puddles/small lakes on all the residential roads but it's all gone this morning thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I have. Not the kitchen part though; I'm enjoying a hot coffee before I go up and have my shower and hair wash.

      It was busier today. Eight is the first session so maybe I will give Sundays a miss. Perhaps the earliest slot on Saturday would be better, once a fortnight.
      xx

      Delete
  4. Your spicy bean and veg soup sounds delicious Joy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really nice. I must wrote it up and share it.
      Thanks. xx

      Delete
  5. It's a tumble dryer day here today. The drizzle shows no sign of leaving so I just chucked it all in the dryer. It's now all folded and put away.That puddle looks a bit alarming but I am glad to hear that it has all drained away. I bet the veggies will be sucking water up like it's going out of fashion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll get someone to look at the drain at some point. It should have drained - all the others were fine.
      I have some stuff on the drying rack but towels and undies went in the dryer.
      xx

      Delete
  6. Wow that does look like a lot of rain! The bean and veg soup sounds yum. Is it vegetarian?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. It's assorted veg and beans with some marigold vegan stock powder and some chopped tomatoes with a chilli (not a lot, you just want a little 'bite') and some Cajun spice. It's made loads - five portions! And cleared the fridge of stuff.
      xx

      Delete
  7. It must have been a relief when the water drained away. Fortunately, our weather has been much more settled this week. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a huge relief, yes. The centre of town was badly flooded which is most unusual.
      xx

      Delete