Wednesday 26 May 2021

Wednesday

Good morning, everyone.  I'm awake early and it's hard to see what the weather is likely to be but Beeb says no rain and some sun.  Mind you, they said that yesterday but . . . 

On Facebook yesterday, Beth posted the following.  It made me smile and I thought you'd like to see it.  Indie is Freddie's mother.

"Last night, when Fred burst through the cat flap shouting and faceplanted into a bowl of food, Indie was singularly unimpressed. She glared at him through much meowing, two dinners, a cuddle and a bath.

Eventually she decided it was time. She walked over to Fred, grumbling, whapped him hard across the nose and proceeded to wash his head. And Fred, who is twice her size, let her, and even looked a little sheepish.

Mamas. They can be a bit scary sometimes, can't they? If Fred had any idea of bigging up his big adventure, Indigo's withering response put a stop to such nonsense."

Yesterday morning, I set off for the allotment, going to the garage first to get the codling moth traps first.  As I locked the garage door I felt the first few drops of rain, as if it just knew I was setting off.  Fortunately, it was a very short shower and then it all cleared up.


So I started on the potatoes.   Very wet soil, heavy work, but they are now earthed, not very professionally, I'd be the first to admit.  It feels odd, dumping spadesful of soil on a healthy looking plant.  It took ages but needed doing so I'm glad it's done.  Now we just wait.
Lovely photo of piles of wet mud!

I did a lot more weeding down the far end, where the runners will go and around the raspberry canes, etc.

I had just started on weeding under and around the broad beans when the rain started again.  By then I was tired (that earthing really was hard work) and muddy so I decided to stop and get myself home.

There's not much more in the clearing line that needs to be done now.  I have to weed the flower bed, finish weeding around the broadies, dig over where the tomatoes will go and give the 'grass' a closer hair cut (I hope to do that tomorrow) and then it's planting out time.  Beth and I will spend a couple of sessions over the weekend and bank holiday planting out the baby corn and the courgettes and sowing the mange tout and the runner beans.

Then I came home, cleaned up and changed by which time it was lunch, some housework and getting ready for tuition.  First session back after lockdown and they have both grown considerably.  It was nice to see them again.

I really should have done some ironing but didn't.  I must get it all done today and it will be so dry.  My own fault!

The only think I know for sure is that at nine I will be in the dentist's chair for the next stage of the implant treatment.  This is the least pleasant part of the whole thing; last time it took ages but this time there's only one, not two, so I'm living in hope.
Then it's home to overdose on painkillers and rest up although I'm hoping I can potter at the allotment this afternoon, weeding, maybe digging the tomato area which won't be heavy or difficult, I just need to dig some seeds in.
I really am amazed at how few weeds actually emerged while I was away.  However, it's now the turn of the bindweed and that's a right pain.  Fingers are crossed that it won't be so bad either.
I will get that ironing done and plan the next tuition sessions.  I only have one next week as it's half term and the others are away but it's nice to get ahead.  I also need to look for/prepare resources to meet issues that came out yesterday.

Things have brightened outside and it looks like a nice day is a-coming.  I hope so - we've had more than enough rain!
Have a super day, everyone.  Be safe.  xx






11 comments:

  1. Beth's very eloquent and paints a really clear picture. She's clearly her mother's daughter! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) She's better with words than I. Her poetry is quite good, I think.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Fingers crossed that the dentist is uneventful and you can relax with a nice cup of tea and a good book the rest of the day. The rain is hammering down already here. Please make it stop. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It went remarkably well, thanks. I'm just home, numbed to the gills and waiting for my mug of real coffee (coffee bag) to cool. Mustn't have it hot!
      Sending 'stop now' vibes your way. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  3. Hope your time in the chair of doom is not too bad.

    Loved the cats tale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't, thanks. The worst bit, as always, is that needles and even that wasn't so bad thanks to the para-wotsit I took beforehand.
      Coward? Moi?? Surely not!
      xx

      Delete
  4. I can see from your responses to comments that the dental trip was fine, so that's good to hear. Is this the stage where you have a longish wait before the treatment continues?

    Hopefully the rain has held off so you can get your allotment work done. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to go back and have the stitches out in a fortnight and then, yes, it's a long wait while everything settled down again.
      xx

      Delete
  5. Hope things go well at the dentist. Loved the cute story about Fred and Indie!

    ReplyDelete