Sunday 23 May 2021

Sunday

 Morning everyone.  Well, I'm home, unpacked and settled again after a journey that was so ridiculously easy that I reckon the Fates studied my worse nightmares and gave me the total opposite instead.  Even the very few traffic light worked in my favour.  I didn't remotely get lost, not even once, not even a smigeon of lost.  OK, it is an easy journey, but if I have a talent for anything, it is getting lost in my car.

But not yesterday.

So - as I said, home, unpacked and washing in the machine.  Now I am pondering on this much delayed holiday.
What did I bring home with me.  Well . . .

Plenty of stuff I never used but you can bet your last 10p that if I hadn't had it, I'd have needed it.

Very nice sirloin steak, devoured with relish yesterday evening.

A great wodge of smoked back bacon which I will deal with today, cutting off the unnecessary (?) fat to give to the birds and wrapping in small single portions for the freezer.

Family gifts.  Gin for Beth, rock for Alex, some chutney for Dave and Anna and some posh drinking chocolate and venison pate for my lovely Dad.  
Also a lap tray for me - one of those trays with an attached beanbag, useful not only for plates of food but also for leaning on top read or write, etc.  I also treated myself to two little bowls.  I've been looking for tiny pudding bowls, smaller than the pyrex half litre ones, for when I'm mixing just a small amount of something and I found a lovely little kitchen shop in Framlingham where they had both little plastic bowls and, lovely things, mini Mason Cash bowls, 250ml capacity, for around ten times the price.  Well - I was on holiday so . . . 

Two books.  Real books, not Kindle books.  One is an Ann Cleves detective thingy that I haven't opened yet and the other is a David Mitchell meander through life, 'Dishonesty is the second-best policy and other rules to live by'.  I'm a great David Mitchell fan.  I 'like' both him and Victoria Coren Mitchell, admiring them as both very clever and yet approachable people who often say what I would love to say, had I better command of the English language and more intellect.  I'm not rushing through this book but taking it slowly, relishing every turn of phrase, clever comment and chuckle - and there are plenty of chuckles. 
I totally recommend this book . . .

And, most of all, I have come home with memories.  Lovely memories.  Memories of  weaknesses fought and overcome, of wonderful experiences, of a thoroughly lovely week.

Aren't I lucky?

Today I have washing to sort out, an appointment with a tuition parent and an allotment to deal with.  The baby corn must go out and so must the courgettes.  Some of the latter have flowers!!
Apart from that, I expect it will be an easy day!

Take care and stay safe, whatever your plans.

xx

10 comments:

  1. I have been enjoying your holiday with you as I am very familiar with the places you have been. I’m so glad you enjoyed it and have brought home happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane. It was a super week. xx

      Delete
  2. You *are* lucky, what a pleasant trip. Thanks for taking us along. I too am familiar with all of the places you've visited but haven't had the pleasure of visiting in such an unharried and relaxed fashion as you were able to enjoy! One day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I'm glad you enjoyed my holiday!
      As you say - one day . . .
      xx

      Delete
  3. I too like David Mitchell and Victoria Coren Mitchell. I went to one of his book signings once where he 'performed' for an hour and then answered questions from the audience during the second half. I was totally impressed by the quality of his answers to all the questions - obviously a highly intelligent man but so funny at the same time.

    I'm glad you arrived home safely - don't you have a SatNav? I'd be completely lost without mine, literally, as I am the proud own of a very poor sense of direction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have a sat nav but I am still one of those clever people who can still et lost - or maybe I should say am not totally sure where I am. I think on of the problems is that Google maps says one way and the Sat Nav says something different. I am slowly learning to trust the sat nav though.
      xx

      Delete
  4. So pleased to read this, as you had some vicious weather, but you seem to be the sort of person that just gets on with things. And lost?? No way, you only had to get on the A12 and you'd be practically home, but I know what you mean. The narrow lanes around us are easy to get lost in. Sorry we missed meeting up, sods law, it was the only afternoon we had something we couldn't change. As you see from my recent post we are moving at last, so busy packing altho we haven't had a confirmed date, I don't like leaving things to the last minute. The bowls sound the sort of thing I would have bought, can't resist bits and kitchen pieces. And interesting memories.. We shall miss Southwold town, some gorgeous shops and Cafe 51 is a favourite for a lunch for us. Porthcawl has lovely sandy beaches and a very pretty prom garden sections, something I argued with Southwold council they could improve instead of the banks of scruffy growth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to hear that you are home safe and sound Joy. I can get lost walking around the block. Tony on the other hand can find his way anywhere and back without a hitch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome home! I'm glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you enjoyed your week. It did sound lovely there. X

    ReplyDelete