Thursday 20 May 2021

Thursday, 20-05-21

 Good morning.  Two more days to go and already time is accelerating away as it always does once the midway point is passed.  Right now, the sun is shining but the forecast is dire.  Strong winds and rain, it says, starting mid afternoon.  I don't care - a walk by the sea in wind and rain is exhilarating.

Yesterday was Framlingham Castle day.  Contrary to expectation, I am really enjoying my drives around.  The A12 doesn't seem to be very busy around here and the country lanes are beautiful.  A good sat nav helps, of course, as I know that even if I get 'lost' I won't be, not really.

I was booked to arrive around eleven and managed to get just about the last parking slot.  A quick check of my tickets, and explanation of the rules and I was in.

While I'm thinking of it, I must give English Heritage a big thumbs up for their disability awareness.  AT both Orford and Framlingham castles, all I had to do was mention my difficulties when I couldn't see lips and every staff member, volunteer, whoever,  took a step back, removed their mask and just carried on.  Superb!  It makes such a difference when people don't make a fuss.

Anyway - back to Framlingham.  Briefly, it was built around the end of the 12th century by the first Roger Bigod and developed by his family in the decades to come.  Although the inner part of the fortress has now more or less vanished, the stone walls and the mere look pretty much as they would have looked in the Middle Ages (says the guide book).  It also shows a strong Tudor influence with some beautiful Tudor chimneys  and was owned, briefly, by Mary Tudor who was there when she received news that the conflict with Lady Jane Grey's supporters was over and she was queen.
Later on, a philanthropist had a workhouse built for the local poor and it served in that capacity for about a century before being used as a village hall.  It's now in private hands, I gather.
There's only one portion of the original great hall wall remaining but all round there is evidence of the bustling place it would have been.  Holes and grooves in the stone walls for timber supports, alcoves that would have been part of private chambers, fireplaces . . .
Enough of the history lesson.  Here's some photos.

The workhouse or 'poor house' which also included a school for the children of the poor.  I gather that, of its kind and time, it was quite a good place.
Remains of a kitchen.
The only remaining wall, part of the great hall and, in the background, the steps down from the wall walk built last year so ensure a one way system.  It made a huge difference for me not to have to descend rickety stairs.
Last time I was here, I chickened out of doing the wall walk.  I have a poor head for heights and had poor balance and I tripped at the furst hurdle, that of getting up there via a very old and worn stone spiral staircase.  I just froze.
Now, the wall walk takes in a museum bit as well so one ascends to the first floor via an proper, modern staircase, takes in a display of the modern history of Framlingham through the two wars and beyond before climbing just a little bit of the spiral stairs to the top.  With sturdy should, more strength and better balance (thanks, Lindsey), I got there - and it was well worth it.  The views!!!

This wall would have been covered with inner court buildings - you can see chambers that would have been built into the walls - all three storeys of them - and holes for roof joists and floor timbers.  The big recess was the chapel.
Every good, defensive castle needed a well and this one is 30m deep (and well covered)
Of course, it was originally and primarily a power symbol and designed for defence and there are deep recessed arrow slits both high and low - look at the thickness of that wall!
I dearly love a Tudor chimney!
This was a bridge from the 'back door' to the garden.  Only the supports remain now.
Sorry this is dark - the clouds were gathering!  This is what's left of the room over the chapel, known as the Tudor Room.  It has a large fireplace and would have looked out over the gardens - definitely the master suite of its time.
I started the moat and mere walk but, by now, the sky was dark and there was lightning and thunder and the rain started so I didn't get very far.  Maybe another time . . .



It was good!



Later on, once home again, I took another walk along the beach, this time to the pier.  By then, the rain had pretty much cleared and the sun was out.

Today I have a trip to a garden centre planned.  I know! - but it is supposed to be a good one and involves what looks like a very pleasant drive up into Norfolk via country roads.  I'll do that this morning.  This afternoon I must start packing a few things away and clearing out what's in the fridge so I can plan tomorrow's meals.  If we do get the bad weather, I want to take a walk down by the sea front and, if I get soaked, I get soaked!  I will also walk up the road to the Adnams shop to claim my free can of beer and get Beth's bottle of gin (10% off) using the voucher we were all given at the end of the tour.

This evening, I will be getting a fish and chips from what has been called the best chippie in the land - the Little Fish and Chip Shop.  After all, you HAVE to have fish and chips on a seaside holiday, don't you?  It ought to be Friday evening really but I want to have a bit of alcohol with it and need a clear head on Saturday morning as I have to be out by nine (covid cleaning regulations take longer).

I hope things are going well for you all.  Take care and, in the midst of this new covid threat, stay safe!  xx



17 comments:

  1. Framlimgham is lovely I used to store my caravan in the next village. Im so glad you are enjoying your break it is a lovely part of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walberswick? How fantastic. Yes, it is lovely around here.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wall walk is the best bit of Fram castle. I hope you sang Ed Shearans Castle on the hill on your way round!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I should have, shouldn't I? I'm glad I managed to get up there and do it. It wasn't east, my back and the top of my legs hurt a lot (it's the fear of heights effect, that's all) and there were times when I had to hold on quite firmly, but it was a battle won! Most appropriate really.
      I bet it's now open today (Friday). Those winds!
      xx

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you are having a thoroughly lovely time Joy. I love to stand in castle grounds and just imagine the people that lived there. It must have been an amazing place when it was first built.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, I think it's the nicest holiday in a long while - although I always say that and this has a soupcon of post covid freedom about it as well.
      I do that too - try to block out the modern and go back in time. It was a very important castle for centuries, partly because of its [position but also because of who owned it.
      xx

      Delete
  5. Fish and chips at the seaside is a must. I glad you understand the essentials of a seaside holiday ... enjoy! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, definitely!! And it was delicious! Much more my definition of 'naughty but nice' than ever a cream cake was!
      xx

      Delete
  6. What a brilliant time you are having.I am so envious.Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaahhhh - your turn will come, Barbara. I am having a wonderful time though.
      xx

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you are having a jolly good time. Hope the weather continues to cooperate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well - let's say it hasn't stopped me from doing much and the last two days of strongish winds have made for wonderful beach walks. There's plusses in most weathers, I think.
      xx

      Delete
  8. That kitchen is huge! :)

    Could you please send some rain over here? It's parched here and looks like we won't have rain for a week.

    Enjoy your vacation, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were like that for quite a long time but that last few weeks have made up for it.
      I hope your rain comes sooner rather than later.
      xx

      Delete
  9. Very interesting chimney. Love the textures.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tudor chimneys are amazing, aren't they. I love how they sit proudly atop a twelfth century castle wall. Historical fusion at it's best! Wouldn't be allowed nowadays, would it?
      xx

      Delete
  10. Oh I do love a walk around ruined castle and buildings etc

    And YES, fish and chips at the seaside is compulsory!!

    ReplyDelete