Friday 21 May 2021

Friday

 Good morning, everyone!  

Real Life has intruded into my long awaited and very much enjoyed holiday.  I had an email yesterday from Chelmsford City Council advising me that it would be a good idea if I tested for Covid twice a week using the lateral flow test.  It's because Chelmsford is one of the areas that has some cases of this Indian variant.
I'll order some tests today, being a Good Girl and wanting to keep myself and everyone around me safe.  Mind you, having been out of the area for a week . . .

Another Real Life intrusion - because of forecast high winds, Sutton Hoo won't be opening today 'for your safety' as the email says.  That's rather a disappointment as I'm not sure when I will be back but there you go . . .  At least, being a NT member, they won't have the hassle of refunding anything.

I have a few ideas about what to do today but first, yesterday.

All week I have been watching a sort of avian kitchen sink 'drama'.  About three metres from my French windows and on a wall, amidst ivy, somewhat hidden by a wooden post, a seagull is sitting on her eggs.  The female (I am presuming) eyes me cautiously each time I go to the window but stays put.  The male, presumably her mate, is never too far away and each time I go out into the tiny courtyard he flies down and utters short, sharp cries, presumably of warning.  When I go in again, off he goes, but he never seems to be all that far away.  I was rather hoping the eggs, however many there are, would hatch but no luck thus far - anyone know how long it takes for gull eggs to hatch?
I am trying very hard not to disturb things too much.  That includes not trying to take a good photo so here's just a snap taken through the glass, not a very good one.

Yesterday was lovely in its own way.

I drove across country, on some extremely minor roads that made me thankful I didn't meet anything coming the opposite way, to a nursery and farm shop.  There was a reason for going;  when I was last here, there was a stall in the mini-market that had some fantastic 'organic' garden chairs made from teak roots.  I greatly coveted one but didn't take it any further, to my regret.  The same nursery was there on Monday and there were flyers (but no furniture) so I thought I'd take a look.
It was a lovely place, even in the drizzle and the cloud.  Not posh, not 'glossy' but there were lots and lots of plants and as for the farm shop - well, if I lived anywhere near, I'd be using it regularly.  It's also a PYO - bit too far to come though!
Yes, there were teak root benches but not single ones and not as attractive as those I saw two years ago.  Never mind.
So that was yesterday morning.

In the afternoon, I stayed in and did a general tidy up and started packing.  I have to say, packing at the end of a holiday is a lot easier than at the beginning!  While that was going on, the wind was getting up and the skies were darkening so I wrapped up and set off for the beach.  It was most satisfying with some really decent waves (for Southwold, I mean) and lots of splashy excitement.  I got there not long after high tide and walked along the beach and back again with the wind in my hair and the waves doing what comes naturally.  Very, very  exhilarating and probably, for me, the best time of the whole week so far.  There weren't many people around but those who were looked as if they were enjoying it as much as I was.  How I would have loved to go swimming - had it been warmer!
Here's a few photos, made as big as I can!






OK, not so dramatic in the wider scheme of things but, for Southwold, not bad!  I loved it.

Then I walked back to the fish and chip shop.  Oh, it was delicious.  I couldn't help pondering on those who go out in conditions maybe ten times worse so that you and I can have fish and chips.
Brave men and women!

So - on to today.
My Sutton Hoo plans are no more so I am umming and ahing about a walk along the sands to Walberswick.  The forecast is, indeed, for high winds but I gather there is a motor boat that takes the place of the rowing boat across the harbour mouth, or I could walk up to a foot bridge which, I am assured, it there.

Or I could drive to Aldeburgh and wander around there.

I'm strongly inclined towards the former, simply because a walk along the beach with lovely, big, splashy waves really appeals.

And I have to pack.  I'd like to get most of the stuff in the car today to avoid a mad crazy rush tomorrow morning.

Have a great day and I hope the wind isn't too bad your way.  xx


15 comments:

  1. Hi Joy. The wind is terrible here today....although, having said that, there seems to be a little lull at the moment, it's still windy but not quite so gale force. We keep having really heavy showers too. Friends from Kent are due to arrive tomorrow for a week's holiday, I hope it clears up for them. Pity your Sutton Hoo visit today is cancelled, but better safe than sorry I guess. Thank you for the photos - I do love a beach with good big splashy crashing waves! So dramatic. Enjoy today, whatever you do. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very gusty here and the wind was almost scarily strong on the beach but wow, what a super walk I had. I will very much miss my beach walks - it's such great exercise and good for the soul.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos of the wild sea, I do love to watch waves crashing onto the shore, it's exhilarating and quite mesmerising.

    Yes, packing to go home is so much easier isn't it, it doesn't matter if things get crushed and I usually have a lot less to take home as I always go on holiday with all my oldest underwear, socks and t-shirts to sleep in so I can throw them away each day and not have as much stuff to bring home with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's certainly an idea!
      xx

      Delete
    2. And yes, there's little as amazingly hypnotic and all absorbing as waves. I could spend - did, in fact - hours just watching them.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Time flies when you are having fun I see! I have been following all your holiday posts and feel quite envious. It all sounds perfect! Big disappointment you couldn't go to Sutton Hoo! I was looking forward to photos and your post about it but that's the way of things sometimes! Take care Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never mind - next year . . .
      It could be a day trip from home but I'd be on the road quite a lot which doesn't appeal.
      xx

      Delete
  4. Lovely sea photos.That grey old North Sea can get a bit rough sometimes but never as spectacular as Cornwall.

    Odd about Sutton Hoo being closed due to windy weather although there are quite alot of trees or maybe it's because they've built that viewing tower thingy.
    Where was this market /garden centre you went to? I can't work it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cornwall is amazing. And a couple of years, when I was a teenager, we had a couple of holidays on the west coast of Ireland. Wonderful waves and great swimming in them.
      It could be, yes. I didn't know about the tower, it must be a new thing, I just assumed it was the trees as much of the place is walks.
      The nursery and farm shop (I called it wrongly a 'garden centre' which implies lots of expensive tut! is called < goes to check Google Maps > Hillfield Nursery and Farm Shop, Mill Lane, Thorpe-next Haddiscoe and it's off the A143
      xx

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry you've needed to alter your plans, although I'm sure you'll be more than happy with whatever you chose to do instead.
    Your photographs capture the water so perfectly. It's wonderful to hear the roar of the sea and the waves as they crash against the shore. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jules, what a lovely thing to say.
      Yesterday (Friday) was a lovely day after all. The last beach walk was leisurely and satisfying (and blustery and rather cold - my hands literally started turning blue before I realised I had my gloves in my bag) and I had plenty of time to get everything sorted in the Studio without any rush or panic. Perfick!
      xx

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing your trip with us. I love your blog. My Florida family will camp in other states the last two weeks of June. My Indy family-some of them will visit me part of the time. The Florida group will go to Caribbean the end of July, so Indy family will probably come again. one or two of them...I live alone and am fine, but they worry I guess. I am not ready to travel at all. I need to go to Indy and see them and to WV to visit friends and graves. Just not feeling safe to fly yet. The end of fall, my daughter in law, and the two little boys, and I will take a trip to the East Coast of Florida for a marathon she is doing...and see NASA. My son will be away on a trip. He still works out of California, but they love Florida as do I. I love the ocean, and all of my life, I have taken vacations at the ocean. I am rethinking that right now. I might plan a few days away by myself this fall. I always went to Myrtle Beach-driving only 8 hours each way and spent a week in summer...after I moved away from there. It is fun to travel alone...but now I prefer flying...keep writing your blog. They are unmasking here, and I am not comfortable with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can, a short time away on your own sounds lovely. Well worth looking into.

      I wouldn't be comfortable with unmasking in public places comfortable either although we have another month or so before the Govt decides whether to remove all legal restrictions or now. AT the moment, I am suspecting they won't, not totally.
      xx

      Delete
  7. It's a shame that your Sutton Hoo visit was cancelled and I hope you enjoyed whatever you did instead. Your sea photos are great ... I love days like that watching the waves crash on the shore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sorry but safety first, I guess. The longer beach walk was just so right.
      xx

      Delete