Wednesday 30 May 2018

Wednesday

Good morning, everyone.  It's another dull, damp, dismal start to the day and it has obviously been raining quite a lot overnight.  No watering needed today, not on the outside plants anyway.

I posted this on my other blog too so apologies if you read both and if you know anything about it, please do comment.  Thanks.
I'm loving my new yogurt maker and especially loving the mesh filter that makes thicker, almost Greek style yogurt.  However, I have been puzzled about what to do with the whey: I know it can be used in bread and scones but I'm not eating much bread at the moment and scones are a bit of a no-no.  However, I have picked up that you can use the whey, very much diluted, on acid loving plants and, as I have two blueberry plants, I thought I'd give that a go.  Right now, watering them is not an issue but in the hot dry days it is more problematic so this sounds a good way (geddit?) to go!  I gather you can also use it on strawberries and tomatoes too.
Any comments, please?

I had every intention of allotmenteering yesterday but by the time I came out of the gym it was drizzling and half way round the Pound Shop the heavens opened - you couldn't even see to the other side of the car park - so guess what!  I didn't go.  Maybe today as the corn really needs to go out, as do the courgettes and cucumbers and the mange touts need to be sown or there won't be any.  I bet the grass is metres high again (not that I shall cut it while it's wet as the mower goes on strike) and the potatoes need trenching.  So much to do before I go on holiday!  Rain, rain, go away!

Beth came round for dinner and, as I haven't seen her in ages, we had a jolly good chat.  She and I have been very busy recently but things seem to be easing off a bit now.

Today I shall go go an early morning swim before doing some housework and a bit of tuition planning.  Allotment is on the list as long as it isn't too wet too but, if it is, there's plenty to do at home as I have got a bit behind with things.

I hope the weather is nicer where you are.  Have a great day, whatever it is doing.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely day, Joy...
    Pleeeeease can you send the rain over here - we have practically drought conditions, major threat of forest fires, etc, etc. I am in Berlin again at the moment and it is a steady 31 degrees in the shade, day after day....too much...
    Better still, we could do a swap? :o)
    Hope you manage to get everything sown out today and that you will be able to cut the grass soon, too!
    Love, S. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope it stays dry enough to get some work done on the allotment. You got me curious about the whey so I had to google it lol. I haven't tried any of these, but it looks like it can be used in some interesting ways.

    https://dontwastethecrumbs.com/2014/05/36-ways-to-use-whey-and-5-ways-to-make-it/

    ReplyDelete