Wednesday 9 June 2021

Wednesday

Morning.  What a lovely lot you all are; thank you so much for your kind and supportive comments yesterday.

It looks as if I will have time to write this blog.  Dad's likely to remain in hospital for a few days for tests and so on and I've cancelled pretty much all of the week so I can remain here.  I just have to pop home on Friday for a delivery that I can't cancel but will be back again.  Beth's staying over mine to keep an eye on things, bless her. 

Obviously, I can't discuss Dad too much.  It's not my story and he would hate it.  But I can have a mini rant about getting an unwanted guided tour of his local hospital when I tried to visit.

Thankfully, you can visit.  It's all hedged about with rules and regulations though - one hour a day, pre-booked over the internet, same person each day, a form to fill in each time you visit and they 'strongly encourage' a lateral flow test within the last twenty four hours.  I have the necessary - I stopped off at a chemist yesterday and picked up two boxes, enough fourteen tests.  I know there are clips online about how so I must access one and learn!

So I got there half an hour early, as asked, to find the ward and do the required covid stuff.  Don't start me on the parking; suffice it to say I found a slot eventually.  If that's that it is like when visiting is limited . . .
I sussed out what you have to do to pay and asked a nice, helpful volunteer where to go.  He directed me back out, along the road and in another entrance.  When I got there, dear me, no, I had to go back and  . . . etc.  I followed those instructions and found myself back with the nice, helpful volunteer!  He said he'd come with me so we went through the hospital this time.  Blimey, it's a whoppa of a place and very confusing! Around ten minutes later (no kidding) we arrived at the ACU ward and he left.  I went in but no Dad.  They were very nice, very helpful, sent me somewhere else but no Dad.  This happened about three times until someone thought to look up on the computer and it turned out he was still in A&E.   I was getting a bit stressed by this point.
It took me rather a long time to find my way back to A&E - their signage is not helpful - and yes, there he was.  However, no visiting in A&E!  Anyway, a lovely lady on the desk took the things I had brought (hearing aid batteries, reading glasses, etc) to Dad and we exchanged a few messages, I gave them some important paperwork and that was that.

I exchanged a few texts with Dad later.  He only has an old talk and text type phone so finds them very awkward to use.

I gather he is now in the ACU ward and I have a visit booked for today, before which I will do the lateral flow test.  At least I now know where to go (I think).  I also need to do a bit of food shopping and generally sort some things out.

And that is that!  Funny how quickly things can change, isn't it?  Anyway, have a lovely day and take care, everyone.  xx

14 comments:

  1. How terribly frustrating for you, Joy, when you were already anxious. So glad you found him in the end, even if you couldn't see him. It's so good that you can actually visit today, it'll make both of you feel better. Big hospitals, especially if they're old ones, are very confusing places to get around, I think. Look after yourself, Joy xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending you both good wishes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending you and your Dad my thoughts and prayers that todays visit goes well.Valx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a horrible frustrating time you had trying to visit.
    Hope all goes better today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best wishes to you Dad! The flow test comes with very explicit and detailed instructions. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do hope you get to see your Dad today. Hospitals are confusing places at the best of times and I know exactly what it's like to find your way around them when you are feeling worried and stressed.
    Sending healing vibes and wishes for a speedy recovery for your Dad xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending prayers for your dad and you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear your Dad isn't well. Hope that he makes a swift recovery and is quickly back home

    ReplyDelete
  9. How frustrating for you yesterday. Hope you manage to see your Dad today and that his health improves and he is out of hospital soon. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to hear your news and the frustrations at the hospital - it is all you need when you are in a 'state' anyway. Thinking of you and your dad. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope things get better. That sounds exactly like my sister told me how it was when Mum was in hospital. As she had the car (obviously I can't go) she was the one who went to visit Mum. Then she reported back to us after. Poor sister. I think between visiting and then phone calls she must be tired out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, how frustrating. That was kind of you to bring him the items that he needed. It is very stressful when an older parent is in the hospital. During Covid, it must be even worse. My prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you all again. I've done an update on the new post. xx

    ReplyDelete