Monday 21 June 2021

Monday and garden update

 Good morning, everyone.  It's another dull morning; not actually raining - yet - but light rain is forcast for all day

I'm back off to Dad's in a short while so no opportunity to see my GP but, truly, I don't think it is necessary.  The bruising is coming out now, the cramping has stopped and things should improve.  I will bear it in mind though, thank you for the advice.

When I got home, the very first thing I did was open the French window and view the estate!  I think when one is there all the time, one doesn't really realise how speedily things can grow at this time of year.  The first thing I did was cut some string and tie up the tomatoes and cucumbers up, pinching out the tomato side shoots as I did so.  Then I took photos.

The ooh la la is now smothered with the most amazing, bright pink flowers.  It was a very dull day and they shone.  In the sunshine they must be stunning.
Ditto for the geranium.  Really lovely.

The cucumbers have more than doubled in size in the week and those leaves are huge!
Spot the babies.  A few out of a surprising number, given that last Saturday there were only male flowers.  
I can see four - and a marauding snail whose time is up, pesky thing.  
They are proper cucumbers, not gherkins, so it will be a while before they are ready to cut.  
Let's hope all the neighbours like cucumber!
  



The tomatoes, some of which have . . .
. . . babies!
My life is complete!

The new little apple tree is doing OK too.




Because of the rain, everything looks so lush and green.  It was nice to wander around.  It's a small space but looking good.









Yesterday evening, Dave and Anna came over, cooked me dinner and stayed for the evening.  It was great.

Before I set off back to Dad's, I will detour to the allotment.  The 'grass' will be an embarrassment but everything else should be doing nicely, I hope.  It's quite frustrating not to be able to spend the time needed there right now but there's always next year.

I can't visit Dad until tomorrow but he has requested various bits and bobs so I can get them all together before time.  Then, this afternoon, a friend of Dad's is coming over for a cuppa and a chat which is really kind.

Time to have another coffee so I will say 'goodbye' for now.  Stay dry and be safe!  xx

20 comments:

  1. Good luck with your busy schedule. I'm glad the bruising is coming out and you don't feel it necessary to see your GP. Stay safe and dry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I could be wrong but we will see. I'm finding some careful stretching exercises are also making a difference, now the cramps have stopped, so I will work on those - very carefully! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  2. That Clematis is Amazing and veg coming along well and so many apples on the little tree - all is good in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely, isn't it? It has really come into its own and does just what I wanted by distracting attention from the rather ugly compost bin beside it.
      Seven apples! :-) One had a bit of a hole so I guess it's caught the codling lurgy but the others look quite sound. If I get seven in its first year, that's seven more than I expected so great!
      How's your garden getting on?
      xx

      Delete
  3. Everything looks so healthy and is growing so well, sometimes it seems plants like to have their growth spurts on our absence, especially at this time of year :-)

    Your cucumbers look amazing, and yes keep the slugs and snails away from your baby courgettes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely - nasty things. Thanks, Sue - I really was amazed how much things have grown in just a week. xx

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Very much appreciated, thanks, Brenda. xx

      Delete
  5. Still wishing you a speedy recovery Joy.
    The Clematis is looking fantastic with such a lot of flowers and your fruit and veg seem to be doing really well too. Hope you were able to make it to the allotment and all was good there. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really has turned out well and seems to like the spot which is quite shady. I am glad I got it. I did pop to the allotment, thanks.
      xx

      Delete
  6. Good to hear you are having some relief from the pain. If you haven't already done so, you might even talk to your trainer as she might have an idea of what may have happened. Nevertheless, hope the healing continues apace. Garden is looking lovely as it bursts forth with exponential summer growth...almost seems to grow before your very eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have, Mary, great minds think alike. She has made a few suggestions which are helpful. xx

      Delete
  7. Your garden is looking lovely. I love the clematis - very pretty.

    I'm glad to hear that the pain is easing off but please try to take it easy until you're back to 100%.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will - I have no alternative really :-) I'm so relieved that I am retired. At least I don't have to juggle a demanding job as well as all the other stuff.
      xx

      Delete
  8. That is a lovely clematis and how well all your plants are doing. I have no idea how mine are thriving (or not) at home - it might be a shock when we go back later this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all the rain, I think you very well might! It should be a nice shock though.
      xx

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous clematis and look at all those baby cucumbers!!!

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they great! I'm looking forward to sharing them far and wide. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  10. Good morning Joy. Just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you. How are the painful calves today? Hope they are much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They get a bit more comfortable every day although, carelessly, I stumbled over a stair yesterday and ooops - nasty cramp. I know why though and am taking anti-cramp measures. Bananas, potassium supplements and so on. It was very painful but not - er - worrying, if you know what I mean!
      Thanks, Cherie.
      xx

      Delete