Wednesday 30 June 2021

Wednesday

 Good morning.   It is just getting light here nd I am wide awake ridiculously early.  My sleep patterns are all over the place and have been for the past week or so.  Only to be expected, I suppose, and I'm not fighting it, I'm working with it until it stabilises again.

I got quite a lot of small things done yesterday.  Most of the ironing, including some very outstanding ironing (bedding!!) got done and put away and there's just a bit to finish off today.  Some old glasses ended up in the recycling bin and the new-to-me glasses put away in their place.  I wrote and posted a sort of letter authorising John to act on my behalf in executor issues, something advised by the solicitors.  I planned some healthy eating menus and made a shopping list.

And I picked a cucumber.  Yes, they are ready.  They are not huge long cucumbers, they're around six to eight inches long and the one I picked yesterday is lovely and not at all bitter.  I had some with my salad and some to decorate my dinner salmon. Like this. 


Lovely!

After talking about using best china yesterday, I thought of a little collection I have in my cupboard that isn't exactly 'best' but - well, ages ago I was wandering around Debenhams (which is now closed, sadly) and saw a very pretty set, nothing posh but I thought it very attractive.  I treated myself to a cup, saucer, tea plate, teapot and milk jug, just for afternoon tea sort of thing.
Since then, I bought extra bits on eBay and now have a very uneven number of different bits.  Lots of tea plates, a few dinner plates - that sort of thing.  
It's about time I used it properly although not all the time as I don't like to put it in the dishwasher.
Here's yesterday's late afternoon cuppa . . .


(The owls in the background are new-to-me from Mum and Dad's home)

I was very pleased to hear back from Real Care Solutions, the company that provided carers for Mum in the past and for Dad until he went into hospital.  They have a charity they support and they took all of Mum's clothes that I didn't have myself (so most of them).  I contacted them on Sunday and they got back to me saying they would love to take Dad's clothes.
So that's the main job for Sunday - putting them all in black bags and leaving them in the car port for RCS people to pick up on Monday.
Something ticked off the very long list!

Once I'm washed and dressed, the first thing today is to get that shopping done.  I've decided to go across town to M&S and then Aldi like I often did in lockdown.  M&S fruit and veg is such good quality and doesn't seem to go off as quickly as that from other shops.

Then I will potter, make some bread perhaps, sort out, tidy up, etc, until Chris comes round, hopefully, for a chat.  When that is over, I'm off to Lindsey's for some massage, some advice and a good old chat.

And that's today.  Nice, gentle and not too demanding.  One day at a time is the way to go and I am sure the sleep patterns will sort out if I don't stress about them.

Have a really good day, whatever you have planned and remember to keep happy, safe and content.  xx

24 comments:

  1. It sounds as though your mind is very active and waking you up, but it's so sensible not to stress over it.

    I'm another one wide awake at the crack of dawn. It was the pain in my back that woke me at four-ish at first and now that that has mostly subsided to a horrible dull ache I seem to be stuck in the rut of being wide awake from then on and having to be as quiet as possible so Alan and the dogs can sleep on.

    Oh for a cup of coffee!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry your poor back is still giving you trouble. Super early awaking is not a habit one really wants to experience and I hope your back stops giving you such pain.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Another one awake early here, I managed to make it to 5.00 this morning though (pretty much a lie in for me!). Well done on all the ironing....I must confess I just don't do any nowadays. One day at a time is very sensible, Joy.

    Hope your back eases soon, Sue.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite like ironing, as it happens. It's satisfying to smooth things out, I think. But I kno9w it's not everyone's cup of tea.
      xx

      Delete
  3. We are officially 'The Early Birds' 😃🌻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are indeed. Diane too - I first met her when we both used Weight Loss Resources and she posted a daily thread called 'Good morning, early readers'. There's a lot to be said for a nice early start, I think. It's just that it would be nice to sleep longer sometimes. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  4. Those owls are so lovely. I used to have a thing about collecting owls years ago - just kept 2.
    It's not surprising about the sleeping, your mind is probably full of things to get done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love owls and have quite a little collection of them. I coveted Mum and Dad's owls for years! ;-)
      I'm sure my mind will settle in time and sleep patters will re-establish again.
      xx

      Delete
  5. Joy sounds like a sensible plan your body will soon let you know if you need some sleep. Thanks for the good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I'm on holiday from school I'm finding I'm sleeping deeper all through the night and I'm waking up with the dawn chorus!! Shows how our brains are working overtime when we sleep if there's 'stuff' going on in our lives. Love your owls xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does and I've always been like that plus I'm an early riser anyway. At least I don't have to go to work on top of everything else. That would be horrible.
      xx

      Delete
  7. Sometimes I envy early birders, but I can't help it, I'm a night owl and paying for it when it's an early start!!

    I feel for you bagging up your Dad's clothes, not an easy task, it helps to have a companion. May I just say, in case you haven't already, to check all the pockets before bagging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't done that yet but the thought did occur to me - you never know . . .

      I think people are one or the other and it will come out over time. I like being a lark.
      xx

      Delete
  8. I may be over the Pond, but I'm also a very early birder (3-4am). Usually start reading the UK papers online when I wake since the morning editions are already in full tilt. In your case, it is as you say, due to your mind making it hard to rest easy. Good that you are just accepting it for now and letting it play out naturally over time. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's even earlier than me, usually! It is a lovely time of the day. In supper you see the sunrise and in winter it feels cosy and protected.
      xx

      Delete
  9. I like your pretty china. One of my friends does a similar thing and every Friday gets her pretty china out, makes herself a pot of tea, and marks the end of the working week. She still does it now she is retired and I think it's a lovely thing to do.

    The owls are gorgeous too.

    Well done on making the arrangements to have your Dad's clothes collected. It must be comforting to know that they are going to a good cause.

    I hope the massage has helped with the leg pain. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a comfort and it also helps, in a funny sort of way, that they are going to the same place as Mum's clothes went to.
      xx

      Delete
  10. Your tea set is lovely and I enjoyed seeing the owls as well. You have a lovely day planned. I'm sure your sleep will normalize soon. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful china! Really worth bring it out and enjoying it even if it was just you...and why not? I think I am going to treat myself too. A cuppa in my old cottage ware teapot with matching jug. I shall look forward to that. My home is my haven,my retreat ,my safe place where I can be me! I think I can understand how you feel being back in your home again. I so agree "One day at a time is the way to go" take care Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why not? It's nice to have a few things that you really love as specials. As long as they do get used . . .
      xx

      Delete
  12. I have the coffee set to this China, it's called Belinda, my mum and dad gave it to us for an anniversary, a special one I think but can't remember which one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. It's very attractive, isn't it. Delicate. What a lovely gift.
      xx

      Delete